Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Games that could (potentially) become great movies

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default movies

i always thought a castlevania movie would be awesome and is one of the few vg movies i would accept a live action film being made from it. chrono trigger could also be interesting in film form. a metal gear movie would have to be VERY simplifyed for any audience to make any sence.

my finaly idea most people disagree with me about is that a knuckles (from sonic) movie could be good, i figure there are enough charactors from the knuckles universe and a lot of lore and epic story to keep audiences entertained, i never liked the sonic comic but i found the knuckles story very compelling. also knuckles is a complex character who isn't always doing the right thing for the right reasons. if anyone hasn't read the knuckles comics i strongly urge you to read at least one of them to get the idea. just make sure you stay away from the crappy sonic ones, they're just a crappy tie-in to make cash.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I refuse to believe any VG film can ever be worth watching, let along making.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    You haven't seen Silent Hill yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    You haven't seen Silent Hill yet.
    Or Mortal Kombat...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think an Elder Scrolls movie series has a lot of potential, but I wouldn't even know where to begin to suggest what bits to use. There is so much to the games that it practically has an extensive universe like Star Wars. The tough task would be deciding what to dramatize in the films. Also, the open-ended nature of the games would be sure to cause debate over what characters to use and focus on in a narrative story.

Wolfenstein is another one that could be very good if done right: imagine Saving Private Ryan meets The Evil Dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love to see a
    super metroid movie
    contra movie
    f-zero gx movie
    quake movie

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

It's so easy to think of one:

The Suffering. They could tie the two together (although the first one was a lot better than Ties that Bind)It could show, where you don't really know if Tourque slaughtered his family until the end. A creeped out possesed prison? Awesome, bunch of blood and groovy tricked out mutated shiteaters with guns coming out of their bodies? Awesome.And what about the needle guy and the possesed Gas Chamber and that Creepy Doctor?Awesome.

Ahh well....................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure a Conker movie would be crazy insane fun. All of you out there that have played this game know what I'm talking about.

Another oddball movie would be Bubsy. That would be a film you'd have to be drunk or high to watch.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

What about an Oddworld movie?That would be something you don't see everyday.They could Tie it in with Stranger's Wrath.(Somehow)Yet again you'd have to be blasted to understand it but it would be funky nonetheless.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dead or Alive: Extreme Volleyball w nudity patch

Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An adventure movie based on the Avatar from the Ultima series would be cool.
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there could be a few movies based off of video games that could good like castlevania,metal gear,devil may cry,splinter cell.i myself would love to see them remake super mario bros,street fighter,or double dragon but this time make them good movies.but they should take some old games like bezerk,venture,or robotron who knows they could turn out to be a huge hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About all these Castlevania requests: have you seen the anime film Vampire Hunter D? I realize that it's not a live action film, but it seems to resemble Castlevania apart from the fact that it is about vampires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    About all these Castlevania requests: have you seen the anime film Vampire Hunter D? I realize that it's not a live action film, but it seems to resemble Castlevania apart from the fact that it is about vampires.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say Quake.. but after the Doom movie... blech

PN03 could make for an interesting film.. just no Charlize Theron please...
    A movie based around the premise of Shadow of the Colossus would be interesting. I'd just like to see the screenplay for it alone. It'd take an interesting step to change it into a movie-esque format.
    Painkiller would make for a good movie to. It's pretty much got the cheeseball Action storyline. Just needs to be tweaked a bit. On that note, a Duke Nukem movie would be interesting. Hard to cast someone to play the Duke though. Which brings to mind Shadow Warrior =D... maybe not.

There's a ton of games I'd like to see adapted to film (so long as they are done well.. I don't want to have to be killing any directors..). But really... we ALL want to see a Cheetahmen II movie. =D

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

It seems Hollywood likes to make stupid "popcorn movies" that just cash-in on the popularity of well-known names (actors, directors, books, etc.), so video game movies are usually just trying to cash-in on popular video game series. Now I know the topic is about making /great movies/, but how about just an acceptably good movie?

I'm thinking a movie where... Kirby destroys and devours San Francisco in a Godzilla-like style. It should make around as much money as the Rampage movie, am I right?

It could even be called, "The Blob that Ate the Bay!"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    It seems Hollywood likes to make stupid "popcorn movies" that just cash-in on the popularity of well-known names (actors, directors, books, etc.), so video game movies are usually just trying to cash-in on popular video game series. Now I know the topic is about making /great movies/, but how about just an acceptably good movie?

I'm thinking a movie where... Kirby destroys and devours San Francisco in a Godzilla-like style. It should make around as much money as the Rampage movie, am I right?

It could even be called, "The Blob that Ate the Bay!"
    The reason I think that video games don't translate well to movies compared to books and comics is because video games usually don't have a ton of story. How does one turn Pong into a 90 minute film? Meanwhile the games that DO have story are already basically interactive movies. Especially true during the FMV days of the mid 90s. So why turn an interactive movie into a non-interactive movie?

I haven't watched any of the recent gaming-themed movies- Pixels, Wreck-It Ralph, Ready Player One, Rampage. Hollywood is cashing in on the video game/retro craze right now, I get it, but none of those movies interest me at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

There's simply a lot of challenges in trying to make something that lasts 5 hours even with minimal plot condense into two or three hours of movie and still be coherent, much less good. This only gets worse as you work with longer, more complex games.

A lot of games that I would like to see would at the very least need the LoTR treatment, three long movies with relatively pragmatic adaptations to make the story and characters more workable, even to a niche audience. A better approach might well the Marvel movies, self-contained little stories that interconnect and raise the stakes at time goes on, but tossing in lots of little moments and references to show cast and crew know what the hell they're basing things off of.

Another problem is that lot of games, circumstances just get worse, and worse, and worse, ad naseum, and then maybe have an uplifting ending, though they tend to be just "bad guys are dead, what the hell do we do now" with relatively little closure and lots of guesswork for the audience to work through (imagine if all we got at the end of Return of The King was the scene where Frodo flew off in the eagle's claws and maybe the 'wake up to Gandalf laughing' scene in the special edition then straight to credits).

But this is a wishful thinking thread. So:

Castlevania, especially Dracula's Curse/III since we have something like an ensemble cast to work with.
    Final Fantasy VI, give it the Le Mis treatment and also make into a trilogy and you're good.
    Breath of Fire IV
    Dragon's Dogma, sift out the gameplay and tedious questing and you get about 1 1/2 or 2 hours of kickass story, like a gritty version of Dragonheart.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see a Trampoline Terror! movie, but only if Full Moon produces it.