Insert Coin (Level 0) mydjsobad's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

Default VICE Project Doom [NES] Proto?

Well, first of all, I'm very new to these forums (as in this is my first post) but not new to the site in any way. Digitpress has been my site of choice when referencing anything new I happen to come across when I buy games (I'm a casual collector, but I'm very intrigued by alot of the major rarities). That being the case, the other day when I stumbled upon this title, I came here to try and find more details on it.

Now, since I'm a casual collector, and I'm pretty new to the intricacies of some aspects of collecting (proto's being one of them) I was relatively unsure of what I had here. I found this game at a local resale shop this past week for very cheap. Given the outer casing, I had a feeling there was something special about the cart itself, but I'm still pretty unsure about it as a whole. The guys I bought it from really didn't have any clue about the game itself, or where it came from, so I bought it more on a whim than anything else.

So when I got home, I opened it up, and much to my surprise it had a WAY different circuit board than I've seen in any NES cartridge I've ever owned. Here are pics of the outside and inside of the cart itself:

Cartridge Front
    Cartridge Back
    Board Back
    Board Front

So how about it? Is it a definite prototype? If so, has anyone seen this particular one before? And if it is one, what kind of things should I be on the lookout (in terms of major differences) for if I decide to compare it to the public release? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

None of your pictures are working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

Sorry about that. Fixed it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a legit proto to me. Did you get it at a game store? Looks like you're right down the freeway from me.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one of those too, but another game. Afaik its a sample cart that was used for demostration in stores. Its not directly a prototype (under developement), altho i guess it falls under the category "prototype" because it still got the EEPROMs on the board, even if its the final version of the game. Cool find btw How much did you pay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

I got it for $5 actually, at the GameSquare in Stanton, CA. They had a few other odds and ends that I picked up there and they gave me a bunch of posters and stuff for my apartment too.

I just thought it was weird that they just had that sitting in a box full of old NES games, 3/4s of which were Super Mario bros./Duck Hunt cartridges.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$5 is a great price!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The board looks like my Crystalis Prototype. So looks real for me. Great find for $5,-. Congratulation.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    I have one of those too, but another game. Afaik its a sample cart that was used for demostration in stores. Its not directly a prototype (under developement), altho i guess it falls under the category "prototype" because it still got the EEPROMs on the board, even if its the final version of the game. Cool find btw How much did you pay?
    I doubt that it was used in stores. Probably sent out to reviewers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it seems these vice project doom samples are more common than some (or at least all apearing right now!):

other post

Yes it's a proto circuit board, but they are review copies/samples of some sort so they're probably pretty close to the final. Get a regular copy of the game and play them both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

so there have been other copies that have popped up recently? I was kind of looking to see if anyone else had it as well. I'm gonna go pick up a copy of the final release today and play through it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nesman85
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    I doubt that it was used in stores. Probably sent out to reviewers.
    That might be, but about a year ago i saw a guy from Switzerland who sold some carts like this. He didnt have pics of the PCB boards, but he mentioned that they were heavier than a normal NES game. IIRC he said he got them from an old store. Therefor i took a guess that they might have been used for demos so customers could check out the game early