Thread: Racing Wheel questions (moderns)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Racing Wheel questions (moderns)

Does anyone have any experience with racing wheels foir the PS2? First, I need one that I can use in my lap because I play leaning back in an easy chair. The pedals will be ok, but clamping the wheel to a table would not be possible. Some of the wheels have "leg extensions" or "lap attachments", are they any good?

The logitech one looks pretty good...

But the Madcatz one looks pretty good too...

Anyone have any experience with either of these. Also, I know they work with GT3, but do they work with Vice City or with Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the madcatz. Normally I'm averse to third party stuff, and have seen good and bad from madcatz. What sold me on this wheel, is that it works for all 3 modern consoles , and does not require it's own power supply. It feels good, it's anolog is great. Since it does not require a power supply, it's force feedback is a bit on the weak side, but that's minor. You can still feel it. It fits fine on my lap, though a bit snug. I'm a 5'10" 32 year old who wieghs 229lbs, and it seems if I was a tad smaller the wheel would fit better. It does not pinch, or anything, so all in all it's quite good for a "one size fits all" item.

I'm glad I bought it. If you have a NGC and an XBOX too, the value of this wheel is huge. It comes with a 5 year warranty that my local Microplay will cover too, which is a nice bonus. I'd bet the Logitech is a better wheel, but it's more money, and is PS2 only I think, and needs it's own power supply.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

even if you say that a clamp wheel is out of the question, I think I have to reccomend the logitech force feedback wheel for PS2 for you. force feedback is good, and you can just make a holder to hold it

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the GT3 logitech one,and it is the best wheel ever.I bought a stand for it and it is the best thing ever.I think it is down to $70 now,I paid $100 for it but it was still worth it. Spend the extra money and get the good wheel.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys, I am leaning towards the Madcatz right now because it has the shifter and because of the lap thing. I play in a papasan chair, so i really can't be leaning forward to use the wheel, it really has to be lap based. Also, My PS2 has been broken from day 1, I don't get any vibration feedback from port one, so that isn't an issue. Although come to think of it, I think the wheel uses the USB port, so maybe that will be ok. The Logitech wheel has a "lap attachment", does anyone have any experience with that?
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No exp. with the lap attachment, but you are correct about the USB part of the logitech force feedback wheel. It also works with PCs so if you have a computer you can finally play grand prix legends the way it was meant to be played.