Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual SNES/Genesis releases, which had the better game?

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was curious about Maximum Carnage too.

Here is another one, Zombies Ate My Neighbors. The music on the Genesis is just flat out butchered and the whole game was a drag, Snes has it beat hands down.

Which Earthworm Jim is better?
    BOB?
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El
    Here's another fighting game one: Super Street Fighter II.

Excellent ports, nearly identical Except that the sound just sucked on the Genesis.

Comparatively, SNES was a 32 bit game and the Genesis was 40 bit. Adding the extra onto it was a good idea.
    I always thought the 40 mb cart was a dumb idea. They used an extra 8 mb and ended up with a worse product. I'd rather they were careful with their space and released it a little cheaper.

I always assumed they made it 40 mb just because they could, that way they can say "BIGGEST GENESIS GAME EVER" or whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    The much faster clock speed allowed the Genesis to handle both sports games and shoot 'em ups much more competantly.
    The Genesis used a Motorola 68k, the SNES used a derivative of the 65C816 ! Thse are two different chips and a direct comparison of the clock speeds is not valid!

No mention of TMNT Tournament Fighters yet, which apparently was abysmal on the Genny.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    The much faster clock speed allowed the Genesis to handle both sports games and shoot 'em ups much more competantly.
    The Genesis used a Motorola 68k, the SNES used a derivative of the 65C816 ! Thse are two different chips and a direct comparison of the clock speeds is not valid!

No mention of TMNT Tournament Fighters yet, which apparently was abysmal on the Genny.
    the SNES was too slow, period. it could not handle action games without slowing down.

and TMNT fighters were two different games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    the SNES was too slow, period. it could not handle action games without slowing down.
    Perhaps they were not easy to program, but I'm sure someone could suggest a SNES action game that does not have slowdown.

and TMNT fighters were two different games
    Same name, though, according to the DP guide.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's tough for me to be objective here as I grew up with the Genesis rather than the SNES, but... it's my own personal opinion that pretty much every EA Sports released game was better on the Genesis than on the SNES. I understand the 3-button argument posed by fanboy earlier but when you use the 6-button controller, the argument is null and void.

I just felt that they played much better on the Sega, but once again, I could be biased. I've tried playing several sports games on the SNES since then as I've been collecting, but they just don't feel "right" somehow. Tecmo Super Baseball (not an awful game, FWIW) seemed to be laid out completely differently on the SNES and as I said, just wrong somehow.

Anyway, just my thoughts, and I'd like to post one vote for MKII on the Genesis.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    I was curious about Maximum Carnage too.

Here is another one, Zombies Ate My Neighbors. The music on the Genesis is just flat out butchered and the whole game was a drag, Snes has it beat hands down.

Which Earthworm Jim is better?
    BOB?
    Earthworm Jim should be tied, the game looks almost identical although its a little washed out on SNES, the SNES wins in the control department easily. Genesis loads a bit quicker and has a better intro. The sound has that tecno flair that the Genesis sound chip is famous for so I'm giving it to Genesis here. The games are both good accross the board but the perfect version of this game is definately the Sega CD Special Edition with better game flow and CD music, one of my favourites.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of every 16-bit game I have played, the SNES version is almost always better.

The Mega Drive version is either just as good (or bad, whichever it may be), or more often - lacking in the audio/graphical department.

Although, one contrary example I will say however, is that Thunder Spirits on the SNES had slowdown not found in the Mega Drive incarnations.

But it doesn't matter - the SNES is the better console, technically, and in terms of software. Mega Drive's exclusive titles just don't compare to the SNES's exclusive content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mortal Kombat II - SNES
    The ONLY thing the Genesis had over SNES was Raiden's Fergality. Period.

Earthworm Jim - GEN
    Can't really say why. I own both and prefer the GEN version.

NBA Jam + TE - GEN
    Sports games were always better on the GEN.

Exclusive titles for systems - SNES >>> GEN
    Mario > Sonic
    GEN can't compare to the Final Fantasy's, Super Punchout, Zelda ALttP

_/¯\_______________/¯\_/¯\______________________________/
    ¯\____/¯ Eldergod ¯\_/¯¯\_/¯ :: Do or do not. There is no try ::¯\

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pit fighter - the genesis version was MUCH better than the snes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcheatle
    It's tough for me to be objective here as I grew up with the Genesis rather than the SNES, but... it's my own personal opinion that pretty much every EA Sports released game was better on the Genesis than on the SNES. I understand the 3-button argument posed by fanboy earlier but when you use the 6-button controller, the argument is null and void.

I just felt that they played much better on the Sega, but once again, I could be biased. I've tried playing several sports games on the SNES since then as I've been collecting, but they just don't feel "right" somehow. Tecmo Super Baseball (not an awful game, FWIW) seemed to be laid out completely differently on the SNES and as I said, just wrong somehow.

Anyway, just my thoughts, and I'd like to post one vote for MKII on the Genesis.
    Off Topic here but I was wondering jcheatle, where is that street sign located you have there for your avatar?

I'll agree with Tecmo Super Baseball but MKII is still better on the SNES as I feel it was closer to the arcade version than on Genesis.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Toy Story.

The Genesis version is muc better than the SNES version. It has a better story line (more story telling in between), the controls are better and some levels had a bit different and better design.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this thread would be a lot more productive if there was a definative list of all titles available on both systems, along with a list of noticeable differences between the two versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthworm Jim is far from a tie IMO. The SNES version is missing an entire level, and that's a dealbreaker for me. Of course, the Sega CD version is supreme, but the Genesis version is definitely the better of the two.

In my experience, the Genesis version is better about 80% of the time. Here's a few that haven't been mentioned yet:

Outlander - I don't know what it is, but the SNES version is pretty bad. Even the SCALING is done better on Genesis.

Battletoads Double Dragon - The SNES version has bigger sprites and more detail, but less animation. But the big difference to me is that the SNES version has really overly aggressive enemy AI, adding unnecessary frustration to an already difficult game; the Genesis enemies are a bit more manageable.

Soldiers of Fortune - The Genesis version has much less slowdown, which is important because the slowdown can mess you up, particularly in later levels.

Ys III - The SNES version's graphics are a bit better, but I don't think anyone actually prefers this game on SNES. All three versions have gameplay differences, and the SNES is the worst of the bunch.

Flashback - The SNES version is on a bigger cart, so what's with the terrible sound and the lower framerate in the cutscenes? Definitely better on Genesis.

Pac-Man 2 - The two are practically identical, except for one thing. When you go into the arcade, there are two Pac-Man games. In the SNES version, it's Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. In the Genesis version, it's Pac-Man and Pac-Jr. Pac-Jr is not a port of the arcade game (which is actually called Jr Pac-Man) and is actually an original game that only exists in the Genesis version of Pac-Man 2.

Liberty of Death - Way, way better on SNES. The graphics and sound are just inexplicably terrible on Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.