Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual SNES/Genesis releases, which had the better game?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dual SNES/Genesis releases, which had the better game?

Now that I have a SNES and a Genesis, and am collecting for both, I have an interesting question.
    Out of the titles released on both systems, which system had the better game?
    Add your game, your favorite system to play it on, and why it's better on that system:

Mortal Kombat II - Genesis (better with the 6 Button Arcade Pad)

NBA Jam Tournament Edition - SNES (better sound and graphics)

NHL 96 - Genesis (faster speed)

Sunset Riders - SNES (can select from all 4 characters, and better sound and graphics)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say MK2 for the SNES is better - LOADS better

MK1 - I'd say genesis, but its close since the graphics suck so bad and the characters are so small.

Usually, if the same game is released for both, the SNES will be better. This doesn't count where its not actually the same game, just the same name (e.g. Aladdin)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Dual SNES/Genesis releases, which had the better game?

For a while I liked Sunset Rider's sound on the Genesis more...no idea what I was thinking there. The SNES version appears superior in every category (full intro, full palette, reasonable facsimile of the arcade game soundtrack, longer stages - at least judging by stage one which starts well into the stage in the Genesis version).

Here's an odd one:

Robocop vs. Terminator.

I think the Genesis version is better. For some reason, Robocop looks better - crisper and maybe even bigger - in the Genesis version. There's some interesting lighting effects in the background of the SNES version, but nothing to die for. Speaking of dying, that's something else the Genesis version does better - you've got to punch in a cheat code to see deaths in the SNES version. Whoops!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with c0ldb33r about MKII. The SNES version was much closer to the arcade than its Genesis counterpart, though the latter was a great improvement over the original. I also agree that the original was better on Genesis, though the SNES version looked better in screenshots. The SNES version just didn't play correctly at all, blood & fatalities or not, though if it were uncensored, we all might be saying otherwise.

There are two areas where the Genesis far outshines the SNES. The much faster clock speed allowed the Genesis to handle both sports games and shoot 'em ups much more competantly. All of the Maddens and NHLs were leagues better on the Genesis. Any of the shmups that appeared on both machines were better on Genesis. Raiden Trad and ThunderForce 3 (Spirits/AC on the SNES) were MUCH better on the Genesis. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Smash T.V. The SNES version is much closer to the arcade.

On the other hand, the SNES was generally superior graphically due to the simple fact that it supported more colors onscreen, but we all already know all that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Raiden Trad

the snes version seems a little more true to the arcade difficulty. the genesis version seems a bit easier in other words. but i like the genesis version more because of the way the view is set up. genesis>snes IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    I also agree that the original was better on Genesis, though the SNES version looked better in screenshots.
    I always thought it was funny that the intro video for the Sega CD version of mortal kombat used SNES graphics

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never understood why the Genesis frequently omitted playable characters that were present in the SNES version. It's not like the Genesis couldn't handle it. I bet the evil Nintendo forced developers to make Genesis games that appeared on both systems inferior to the SNES version in some way. Nothing else makes any sense at all about it.

Raiden Trad - 1P on Genesis, 2P on SNES
    Sunset Riders - 2 characters on Genesis, 4 characters on SNES
    Cadash - OK, so it wasn't on the SNES too, but if it was, the SNES would've had all 4 characters. The Genesis only had 2 characters

You get the idea. That's the only ones that I can think of right now, but I'm sure that there's more. I'm surprised that the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat wasn't the one without the blood in it. They left stuff out of the Genesis version all the time. Missing this, missing that, always in the SNES version, with the only exception being the blood in Mortal Kombat. And even that was still there, it was just changed to sweat. On the Genesis you had to enter a code for it. So what the hell was up with them omitting stuff?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    ... I bet the evil Nintendo forced developers to make Genesis games that appeared on both systems inferior to the SNES version in some way. Nothing else makes any sense at all about it...
    that's quite the consipracy theory

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the SNES had the better games on every game, except one: NBA Jam. When it comes to the SNES I personally don't think that the Genesis can compare to it at all, but that's probably just because I'm a bit of a Nintendo freak. Still though, I can't seem to play NBA Jam on my SNES. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it just doesn't seem.... right? You know what I'm saying?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think MK 2 on the genesis is better - ive always felt the control was better on the genesis -- yes the snes looks and sounds better

and i favor Wolfchild on the genesis over the snes and sega cd versions
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Samurai Shodown:

Genesis version was WAY better than the SNES version. The genesis version had huge sprites, and was pretty darn close to the AES version.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought of a genesis game that's better - the original FIFA soccer game. Much better than the SNES one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Dual SNES/Genesis releases, which had the better game?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Here's an odd one:

Robocop vs. Terminator.
    It's not really that odd as it's a different game completely. It was like that with Alien 3 too. I was disappointed when I bought the SNES version after renting the Genesis game.

Overall with the 16-bit era, it seems like almost half the time the Genesis version was better despite lesser graphics. It's not like with the Xbox and PS2 where the more advanced hardware had the best version 90% of the time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While the Genny had the faster clock speed, I found the controller to be a large advantage in SNES sports games. IN college we used to play NHL'94 (still do, when the buds get together) on the SNES, but when we tried NHL'95 on the Genny we found it unplayable.

The reason? 'X' button for goalie control. Whenever someone is coming down the wing on you, it's a lot easier to stop the one-timer when you can grab the goalie and float across for the save.

On the 3-button Genesis controller you needed to hold the 'B' button in order to grab the goalie, and that would often lead to you losing an interception because your player passed it immediately upon grabbing it just because you were focused on controlling the goalie.

Oh, and MKII? SNES all the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

take graphics and sound out of the equation, and often times i enjoy the genesis versions of games more. tighter control, better controller (arcade six button layout, true 8 direction d-pad), and less slowdown. It boils down the most basic classic gamers' law...

Gameplay > Graphics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another good example of Genesis superiority: Fatal Fury

The SNES game again looked better in screenshots, but was nigh unplayable. The Genesis version was a very close approximation of he Neo Geo original considering the technology.

The Genesis version of Samurai Shodown, missing character or not, is much better than the SNES version as well. I like the larger characters.

In general, I have always felt that the SNK fighters played better on Genesis, while looking better (in most cases) on the SNES. The SNES games definitely had better sound.

On the other hand, the SNES versions of SFII, even with missing background elements, were leagues better than their Genesis counterparts, especially in the Sound department. The horrific sample rate on the Genesis versions killed the experience for me. The PC Engine version DOES take on the SNES original, though Turbo has it beat.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that the Genny version of MKII was better. The graphics and sound were better on the SNES version, but the Genesis version was better playing.

Another game that was (slightly) better on the Genny was Justice League as I believe it had more characters due to cheaper carts for the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Here's another fighting game one: Super Street Fighter II.

Excellent ports, nearly identical Except that the sound just sucked on the Genesis.

Comparatively, SNES was a 32 bit game and the Genesis was 40 bit. Adding the extra onto it was a good idea.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MK II - better on the SNES, hands down.

Pit Fighter - WAY better on the Genesis, hands down. Only problem is, the game isn't that great to begin with.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El
    Here's another fighting game one: Super Street Fighter II.

Excellent ports, nearly identical Except that the sound just sucked on the Genesis.
    I've been comparing these two..and the SNES uses the original Arcade sound effects almost dead-on. While the Genesis re-uses the previous SFII CE sound clips I noticed in some parts.

Yet the only thing missing in the SNES version, is a minor voice clip that says "ROUND 1" and that's it.

As for MK II, most def the SNES. Yet playing MKII on a Sega Nomad is sweet candy..

MK I, Genny all the way.

Samurai Shodown, Genesis does, I felt the controls were a bit dead on, but I noticed there is a few glitches when some of the attacks won't connect, while in the AES they will. SNES reminds me of watching Sim City, I gotta squit sometimes to see what's going on because of the smaller sprites....and damn I hate that stupid Dolby Surround Echoing sound effects they used in this game and Fatal Fury Special. Gen-An sounds like a fish gargling with that sound chip.

Okay next one, Maximum Carnage. SNES or Genny?
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!