View Poll Results: Would you open a game which might be a 'prototype'?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'd crack that baby open and make it dance! That's what games are for, to be played, right?

43 87.76%
  • No. Are you kidding? The collector in me would have a fit if I opened up this baby!

6 12.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N-Gage Prototype game? : "Space Impact" *PICS!*

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default N-Gage Prototype game? : "Space Impact" *PICS!*

I bought this game from a guy who bought it from someone else. I traded dearly for it, but I'm really hell bent on completing my N-Gage collection, so I traded a rare game for it. (What game? I'm still too embarassed about it, but maybe I'll tell ya'll once my blushing goes away.)

Okay, pics!

Anyway, the game is sealed, just as it was in the picture I was emailed (bad pic too), but from what it looks like, this item might actually be a pre-release version or even a mock-up/prototype of the game, as the inner package artwork not only looks unfinished, but there are no screenshots of the game on the back, no game description and no text about the game on the back cover.

The seal on the side where the case opens is a plain white looking seal with no text and a hologram strip on it. Instead of the hologram strip saying "Nokia", like official release games do, this one says "Topan".

Even the UPC symbol doesn't seem to be valid. It has red letters which read "FPO" on it, through the bar code, with the numbers being 0 47875 80381 7. Not to mention, the spine side of the cover doesn't have an 'item/part number', instead, it reads "Cxxxxxx".

According to the other information on the back, this particular title was produced sometime in 2003.

There is also an additional set of text, which is in another language. From what it looks like (although I'm definitely not an expert), it's probably in Latin, but may also be French.

The first line says: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectataur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incidudunt ut labore et dolore....."

There's more, but I don't feel like typing it up.

I'd open it up, but I don't want to possibly 'ruin' a sealed piece of 'gold', if you know what I mean.

I also think I might have found some further info on this game.

According to the game production company that made "Space Impact", there are several versions of the game, all with their own little 'sub' titles such as "Space Impact: Evolution" and "Space Impact X".

The interesting title is one called "Space Impact: Evolution", which is a privately funded prototype game that is NOT a vertical scrolling SHMUP. It's a 3D type of racing game like Crasho Nitro Kart, etc.

Here's the URL: http://www.kuju.com/games_wireless_release.htm

It's a little more than halfway down the website page and there's a screenshot of it.

Perhaps the game I have is actually the racing game? I'm torn. I want to open the game I have, but at the same time, I want to keep it sealed. :/

One other thing, there seems to be something inside of the game case (you can hear that there are contents of some kind when shaking it), but there's also a remote possibility that the case 'could' be empty, with no game, especially since there is almost no information whatsoever regarding the release info for this game, or even it's existence.

Any ideas?
    ©2008 Umbrella Corporation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seals were made to be opened. The only reason to keep it sealed is if you're going to resell it. The best reason to WANT a sealed game is so that you can open it, knowing that it's pristine on the inside and unused.

If you have a one-of-a-kind game, you have to play it.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Are you even sure there is a game in the case? Makes you wonder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'd like to see pictures when you get them. sounds like an interesting find.

looking at the link you have I saw they also listed the game Bounce which I beleive came free on the Nokia CD with the N-Gage in Spain and the UK (I think). The game you mentioned also says it shipped on a CD with the N-Gage so I wonder if this game was released somewhere else in the world or almost released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds interesting, but it could just be a display box (e.g. empty).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first line says: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectataur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incidudunt ut labore et dolore....."
    Usually latin gibberish is put in as a placeholder for actual text on a final product. Sounds like a mock-up to me.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010216.html <--Link about lorem ipsum...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wich company whould seal a proto...

But if it is a proto, no don't open it :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

open it! if for nothing else to confirm theres actually a working game in there!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would open it to verify that there is a game in there, and to play it. I've never heard of a prototype completely sealed like that.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's an unreleased proto, I really don't think it'll make a difference if it's sealed or not since it's rarity/value will always be the same. Who's heard of sealed protos anyway?

Commercial releases though, yeah, sealed copies will always be more valuable than opened ones.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definately strange that it's sealed. All of the ngage proto's that i have are either on generic mmc cards or have "not for resale" stickers on them just like the kiosc demo games. None of them have ever had cases...

My website seems to be down, or i'd put up pics...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about some pics? There are plenty of free services you can use to post pics. Until then it's just vapor.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely open it. If it's truly a proto or one of a kind there's only one way to find out, and that's crack it open! If not, you just have a sealed box with god-knows-what in it!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Do you not have Google?

Not to be a jerk, but you spent a lot of time posting and stirring up excitement and speculation when information about this game is all over the Internet. It's not an N-gage proto. It was released on some of the early N-gage pack-in discs in Europe. It was released in stand-alone format in Europe for various non-N-gage Nokia phones like the S60. You can see box and game shots on various non-US Nokia store sites. The developer is Kuju who also did the aforementioned Bounce and a couple of other "funded" protos for the N-gage.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy now? = P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, all of you are right. I should post pics.

I at least owe you all that considering you've all given your input (as well as your votes in the poll).

I'll take a picture soon and post it at photobucket. I just hope I can remember my photobucket password. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, pics are up.

Thanks for waiting everyone.

Now please, what should I do? Open it? Keep it sealed?

Please vote!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted a big old fat NO (minority opinion it seems.) I'm thinking it was a store display box maybe? There's a good chance that there's no game in there and then you've messed up the wrap. At least wait awhile and see if the code shows up on the net somewhere... it's been theorized that Nokia is moving to a download-only model (like Snakes) and it might show up as a complete game for download. Perhaps the game is available under another name as a game running on the Symbian 60 platform?

GREAT find!!!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_4th_Survivor
    Okay, pics are up.
    How can I see the pics?

edit: nevermind - they're there now

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's really weird... that looks like a marketing sample... I would be kind of surprised if there is a game in there.