Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Default Sega cd version one value

I found this loose at a local second hand store for 17 dollars. I'm wondering if this is a good price for it. The guide on here says that its worth 35 complete so I'm just curious if it would be worth picking up at this price.
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

assuming it works... the first model wasnt very durable compared to the second

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$17? I'd pick it up even though I have a few already. It goes for a higher price than that loose on ebay for sure.

And come on, its the version 1. Its just so sexy.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as I posted earlier in another topic about "what systems you've been tempted to buy and haven't" the SegaCD is my top choice. And like I said in there, it's rough for me to find one around here either version 1 or 2. I have seen a few but they were in jerk-off pawn shops that were asking $60+ for dirty, possibly broken systems because they have no return policies.
    On the other hand I've asked private game stores that resell used that I spin by often and say they'll sell the version 1 used, loose, and with cords for about $8. Version 2 sells for $12 because it's more durable and the Genesis 2 is more frequently owned. Now you live in another area so I'm sure the market is different and all.

The more expensive portable is the CDX which goes for $80+ on Ebay I think. It's somewhere up there boxed/complete.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    And come on, its the version 1. Its just so sexy.
    REALLY? I used to have a sega cd version 1 (years ago) and thought it was ugly as hell. I always liked the look of the version 2 much more. Version 1 is pug fugly

As for your question - yeah I'd totally get it for $17. Check and see if it works first though. Mine was already starting to crap out when I originally owned it. I had it for about 2 years and it started making some funky sounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I always favored the version 1 over version 2. Be careful thats it's not a defect though, as a lot of the early version 1's were.

Great price man, go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also like the SCD1 better. But when it comes to the Genesis/Megadrive I prefer the second one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Whats the best way to check if its working? I don't have any sega cd games so would I have to buy one to make sure that its working or would I be able to tell if its got any problems just by turning it on. I really want to make sure that I don't get a lemon.

Also it only has the power cord with it, does it need any other cabling that is hard to find? I saw that it has the red/white output lines but I figured I could use any cable for that so that wouldn't be a problem. But are there any other connections that it needs to make?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8
    Whats the best way to check if its working? I don't have any sega cd games so would I have to buy one to make sure that its working or would I be able to tell if its got any problems just by turning it on. I really want to make sure that I don't get a lemon.
    It's not perfect but you could try an audio CD. Or just check around for a cheap sega cd game used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8
    Also it only has the power cord with it, does it need any other cabling that is hard to find? I saw that it has the red/white output lines but I figured I could use any cable for that so that wouldn't be a problem. But are there any other connections that it needs to make?
    Ah yes, it can be confusing to hook up a Mk1 system properly if you have no instructions. I asked about this a while back and a very nice man replied with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjax
    Time to pull out something I wrote quite a while ago

http://my.ais.net/~xtreme/SF/SCD/

How to hook all that mess up! Hope it helps

Anyway, as far as the mixing cable goes, if you use the RCA Audio plugs on the back of the Sega CD without using the mixing cable, you'll only get the audio produced by the Sega CD itself - usually only the CD Audio tracks. In order to output the rest of the sound generated by the Genesis itself, you have to run the mixing cable from the headphone jack to the back of the SegaCD. IIRC, if you go from the headphone jack only, you won't get any of the SegaCD audio. I don't have the full setup hooked up at the moment, so I can't test my memory on this one, but that's what I remember. Since the Genesis 2 eliminated the headphone jack, you don't have to worry about it on that model. Adding a 32x into the loop doesn't change anything with the audio, if i understand what you're asking.

Feel free to ask any other questions on Genesis hardware tho, I got it all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without hooking up a Genesis it's kind of hard to test it out thoroughly; but the two main problems I've seen with SCD 1 models can be detected without a Genesis. Plug it in and power it up.. if it doesn't.. it's probably a fuse. Then insert an Audio CD (since you don't have a game).. does it stay in? If it closes and after just a few seconds.. spits the tray back out.. it's the switch that senses a closed door that's at fault. Good luck.

That's actually a good price even for a broken one. I buy broken SCD 1's often on eBay.. then I cobble the different functional internal parts together to make good ones. It's worth it.. because a really nice functional SCD 1 can be worth $60 to $100 (especially with a box and the "audio cable").
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats a good price because if it has any problems, it can be easily fixed. Were talking about a glorified cd player. Version 1 is definately "sexier" but not durable. Go for it, its worth it. Definately higher price on ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is scary how expensive the systems go for on Ebay. The was one last night though that I saw going for under $20 (after shipping) with a bunch of games and included cables and had 6hrs left in the auction. I didn't follow up on it when I went home because I somehow forgot about it, but would be nice to have seen what it went for because it was a version 2, but came with everything including a Genesis 2 so would have been a good deal!
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]