Look, of course I am a gamer. But most of my friends are not. I try to encourage them to play games, and occasionally they do come over or I bring my GameCube over or PS2 or whatever and we play a multiplayer game. And usually they have a good time playing it - it's fun.

So what am I going to say to these people - normal, average, everyday people - about Nintendo's new system? Up to this point I was stoked about it. It was cool. I did not write off the DS when it came out (thought it was promising), I had no problems with the "Dreamcast" name when it was released, the GameCube was neither one way nor the other with me, and the Revmote has great promise as a gaming device.

Ideally yes, how the game plays is the primary thing. I will most likely end up buying one at some point. I'm not judging the whole system on its name alone.

But I will probably be keeping it in the closet and bringing it out when I want to play it. I will not be talking this up to my friends whatsoever. How can I? Their reactions are going to be the same as all the English-speaking gamers. Why? Well, because "we" is such a common word that it will not even be considered in association with it, and so you're left only with "wee" - urine, penis, and / or small. I don't particularly care what they think about my games - I play Pokemon, and don't really hesitate to mention that to my normal, adult friends. But "wee?" Even I find that embarrassing. It's asinine, retarded, ridiculous, ludicrous - and just plain stupid. It's not a name that will create positive word-of-mouth in English-speaking countries, I don't believe - it certainly won't get good word-of-mouth from me.

Perhaps people will "get over it" given enough time and exposure to the name. But there are lot of people out there - the so-called "casual gamers" - who will not spend significant time with the name / brand. They will hear about it once and either dismiss or embrace it right then and there. The buzz regarding this name will flare up initially and then die out, and this flare that will reach the mainstream audience just plain stinks.

I used to think highly of Reggie's marketing skills. Part of me is wondering whether (and hoping that) this is a joke, a marketing ploy, in the days building up to E3. I hope they're just creating a stink so that the smell of a real name will seem like a fragrant aroma in comparison. But we'll see.