Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Nintendo Wii Thread.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the play on words they use on the Wii website are so incredibly cheesy. It seems like they had the marketing ass-hats make up some retarded ass name, and then had some stereotypical, socially diconnected geeks come up with the whole spiel.

it's not aobut you, its not about us, its about wii... damn communists

I am just in shock. I still don't know what to think
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I don't really want to tell anyone what to think, but if you're thinking "communists" you might want to re-evaluate the situation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    The name sounds good to me. It is unique, memorable, a bit 'off' (which is also very fashionable), and can be filled with quality (which matters in the end) ...I don't understand the excitement about it. It certainly won't hurt any sales figures.
    Wow. "Wii" brings lendelin back. Nintendo's right, it not about you or me, it really IS about Wii....

well, if it's good enough to bring HIM back, why don't i join in too

i think the name is a little bit weird, but we'll get used to it, i see no problem at all with it (ESPECIALLY not in the non-english countries, everyone knows "we", noone knows the other meanings of it )
    -Jan

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    The name sounds good to me. It is unique, memorable, a bit 'off' (which is also very fashionable), and can be filled with quality (which matters in the end) ...I don't understand the excitement about it. It certainly won't hurt any sales figures.
    Wow. "Wii" brings lendelin back. Nintendo's right, it not about you or me, it really IS about Wii....

Hi Dan ...actually, Wii didn't bring me back, but an airplane did. I was in Germany for almost two months and had very little time and restricted Internet access. I looked up DP only once all this time. Nice to be back, to read great posts again, delve into gaming news, and actually play some games again...yeah.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x

well, if it's good enough to bring HIM back, why don't i join in too
    see above...I was in 'wellness' -Germany (when in the world did this wellness-nonsense start?

i think the name is a little bit weird, but we'll get used to it, i see no problem at all with it (ESPECIALLY not in the non-english countries, everyone knows "we", noone knows the other meanings of it )
    I agree. The name will be much less of a problem in non-English speaking countries. I actually like the name...if I like the system has to be seen...I'm still very skeptical.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I don't really want to tell anyone what to think, but if you're thinking "communists" you might want to re-evaluate the situation...
    wha... ?

or how about...

I'm just giving you a hard time.

I have to say the name is stupid, but not for its reference to piss or wankers or wahtever. The play on words they have on their one page site are stupid, and I think my head is going to explode if I hear any more of that crap from nintendo... (funeral will be held on May 9th following N's press conference in front of the LACC, closed casket due to the circumstances of death. Burial will be at the planter box in front of N's HQ in Kyoto)

That said, I realy don't care what it is called, I'm still buying two. this is going to be a great system. Whether its the new ps or the next dreamcast, I don't know, but it WILL be a great system.
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SE-R
    Ok, thats funny.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a screenshot of what the Wii will look like:

http://www.ageofpenguins.com/wii.jpg

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AgeOfPenguins
    Here's a screenshot of what the Wii will look like:

I knew they wanted this thing to have unprecidented user interactive features, but that is rediculous!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the first video showing the new game for the Stalin Wii:

http://www.zeronews-fr.com/flash/sup...-communist.php

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm seriously not going to be comfortable walking into a store and asking if I can "buy a Wii." I have a huge johnson, but I still feel that just saying such a thing might make me gay, or invert my penis.

I'd honestly feel less stupid walking in and asking "Can I buy the new Nintendo Penis?"

I'm honestly quite surprised no one has photoshopped the controller in this pic into a penis or some kind of sex toy.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Ouch, that hurts. Is that really how I come off? I'm certainly not meaning to stand on any kind of soap box, but when you're arguing against "wee" jokes it's kinda hard :/
    Nah. The difference is, you are playing the part of devil's advocate and not being a total jerk while doing it. Like I said, Bizzaro Zach.

And another difference, you have a valid point and opinion.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that more than the convoluted explanation Nintendo has given for the the name, that the name itself personifies what the system is trying to do.

Nintendo is trying to break the mold of the current industry with bold simplicity in both control scheme and name. If they're going to try and reinvent the wheel they may as well take the leap and abandon the trite naming conventions of the industry as well.
    You've been doing a good job of playing devil's advocate. I want to make a point to see what you think of this...

While I agree with most of what you're saying, there is a large critical flaw that I see with the name "Wii". That flaw is that unlike other words which brands were built around, there is already a word "We". And unlike Yahoo or Pod, we is used regularly. Before Yahoo.com came along, before the iPod, it wasn't like people were walking around saying that "Hey, I just got this new CD listening Pod" or often saying "Yahoo!" for no reason.

People use "we" in everyday speech.

And I think that works against it. Nintendo isn't going to be trying to just brand a word to a product, like Apple, Yahoo and the like have done, but they are going to try to brand a word to a product which is used every day. When you sit down at a conversation and you hear the word "pod" most people now would probably automatically associate that with either Apple or music. When you hear the word we, no matter how long this product is out, you'll have to think about what the person is talking about. It isn't instantly recognizable, and it never will be.

I really feel that this is going to be the one really big failing point about the console. Yes, there have been other consoles people thought had stupid names, but usually it was because it was something made up or random like Dreamcast or Playstation or Xbox.

Finally, is the majority of people really ready to walk into a store and ask to see the "Wii games"? I see this as another huge stumbling block to the promotion of the console. Again, wee has another meaning here, as small or tiny. So, when a gamer walks into a store, they have to say that they would like by definition a "small game." A "wee game." A Nintendo Wii game. There is a problem here.

The non-hardcore gamers who Nintendo is banking on to make this thing a success aren't going to want to have to say something embarassing when they walk into their nearest store to get a game. They walk into a GameStop or EBGames, where it is already intimidating since there are SO many games there for lots of different systems, and then they have to say something that, had the console not been named this, they would've never said, and that will impact the decision.

The name shouldn't be this important. But of all the damn names that Nintendo could've picked, I think that this one has about as many different potential problems as just about anything non-vulgar could have. It won't doom it for sure, but I don't see non-gamers walking into a store and saying, "Hi! I'd like a Wii console today and some Wii games." You might as well ask someone that isn't overly buff to walk into the gym and tell the biggest, most ripped bodybuilder there that he is ready to "take on the wee weights."

There is automatically a natural want to NOT make yourself obvious, and saying something like that is obvious. I know the system will be named Wii, and I know that people will be forced to say it. I'd normally argue for hours on end that the name means absolutely nothing -- I think Xbox 360 is about as stupid of a name as could be, although I don't think it is stopping anyone from purchasing the console -- but in this weird case, I think that "Wii" will have to wait and see just what happens, as I think it most definitely will affect gamers at the beginning.

That's my two cents. I might be totally wrong. I might be totally right. Who knows. Whatdya think?
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Im still going to call it the "revolution" because "wii" just sounds dumb.

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the play on words they use on the Wii website are so incredibly cheesy.
    Thank God we can fall back on the brilliant puns crafted by the creative minds of several posters in this thread. Funny, funny stuff*.

*If you're 10 years old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    When you hear the word we, no matter how long this product is out, you'll have to think about what the person is talking about. It isn't instantly recognizable, and it never will be.
    I think that wholly depends on how aggressive Nintendo is with their marketing. I don't think it'll be an overnight shift in state-of-mind for the world, but I think in a couple of years, if Nintendo really pushes it, it really won't be that bad.

As for walking into a game store and asking about Wii, I've done that a couple times asking people who work in game stores so far and it's sprouted the same kinda conversation you'd have with any game store employee over anything game related. Granted, most everyone who works in a GameStop or EB is a hardcore Nintendo fan, but still it certainly wasn't akward or embarassing talking about Wii. At least it's no more embarassing than talking about why the D20 system kicks ass in KotoR.

Once the context is out there and people know what you're talking about, it's just another label. If it's referred to "The Wii" in conversation it's pretty unmistakable what's being talked about. Or at least it should be over time once the populace has been beaten to near-death with Wii advertisements.

But really, the mass market success of the Wii rests solely in the hands of NoA's and NoE's marketing departments. And really, thats absolutely no different than any other new product trying to gain acceptance or brand itself. The only additional hurdle Nintendo really faces is their own name and the image they've got right now. They've been branded by the general public a "kiddie company" for at least the past 5 years and getting past that to the non-gamers is going to be extremely difficult.

The negative connotations of an initial reaction to "wee" are minimal at best. Saying that it's assosiation with pee jokes or tiny objects will soil its public standing is like saying no one named Richard could be popular in the public eye because the Dick jokes wouldn't ever stop.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only thing that's odd is in the nintendo binder we have at wal-mart still shows the logo Nintendo Revolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by theelement
    the only thing that's odd is in the nintendo binder we have at wal-mart still shows the logo Nintendo Revolution.
    You mean a mass market retail giant hasn't updated every aspect of its business operations in relation to six-day-old news about a product that isn't even going to be released for another 5 months?

No way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it'll be an overnight shift in state-of-mind for the world, but I think in a couple of years, if Nintendo really pushes it, it really won't be that bad.
    Which is EXACTLY the reason why this is a bad name choice. Thank you for pointing that out. In "a couple of years" this generation of systems will be half done.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they didn't put it in there but 2 months ago, and why would they even bother with putting nintendo revolution logos in there if they knew they were changing the name. They said they knew it for awhile now.