Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Nintendo Wii Thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like this new name at all.

Also, it is not unique.

Nintendo seems to be borrowing way too much stuff from Apple.

Instead of one "i" they have two. Also, just look at the new DS Lite, and the revolution controller. Toss in a white revolution console, and this is anything but original or unique.

This is dissapointing.

In the end when you strip away all of this, the name "Wii" itself is difficult to use in a sentance and to pronounce. It is awkward.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, can I assume that Nintendo's next next-generation console will be the "Puu?"

Thank you. Thank you. You're too kind. However, I can't take credit for the line. Fark.com has a thread and they're ripping the new name apart. In fact, someone suggested this Flash video should be used for Nintendo's marketing of the new console:

Weeeeeeeee!

I'm still laughing my ass off.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Oh man. This thread rules almost as much as this one:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...7252&highlight

I'm pretty sure just about every single person that posted anything negative in that thread (myself included) has had a lot of crow in their diet in the past year or two.

It's just a name. It doesn't matter what you call it, as long as they've got a good tag line to go with it, which they do, it doesn't matter.

It's not about you, it's not about me, it's about Wii.

Thats brilliant marketing, and if it's supposed to be about encompasing as many new players as possible, the name fits excellently. After the DS I've learned to trust Nintendo in their decisions. As long as they make enough money to keep bringing me the games I want to play, I don't care.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I seem to recall a similar debate about five years ago when Nintendo announced the "Gamecube" name for their new console...

I can see where Nintendo is trying to go with this, and I wish them the best of luck... I do have a suggesting for their commercial...

A teen walks into a store, and sees a Nintendo set up. He looks at it for a minute, then walks over. As he reaches over and grabs the controller, a familiar Queen song begins to play...

"WII WILL, WII WILL, ROCK YOU!"

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Oh man. This thread rules almost as much as this one:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...7252&highlight

I'm pretty sure just about every single person that posted anything negative in that thread (myself included) has had a lot of crow in their diet in the past year or two.

It's just a name. It doesn't matter what you call it, as long as they've got a good tag line to go with it, which they do, it doesn't matter.

It's not about you, it's not about me, it's about Wii.

Thats brilliant marketing, and if it's supposed to be about encompasing as many new players as possible, the name fits excellently. After the DS I've learned to trust Nintendo in their decisions. As long as they make enough money to keep bringing me the games I want to play, I don't care.
    The difference is between that thread and this is all piss jokes made about the name. And people did not like the concept, but here, no one likes the name.

It'd be more fair to compare that thread to the one about the WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE's controller. Apples to apples and all.

And it would bloody help if Meston didn't erase all his posts in said thread, so you could actually see the first post's contents.

And hey, my post in that thread was more positive than most! And my second and third post on page 6 made me lawl. *pats self on back*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

So long, Nintendo. It's been..... Whatever.

There went any remote chance of me buying this console, now.

(imaginary conversation time!!)

-What consoles do you own?

-Well I own an Xbox, a 360, a PS2 and 3, and a wii...

-A wii??

-Yeah.... A Wii.

-(other person keels over and dies laughing)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ASSEMblerEX: (I didn't want to quote that long post) Nice! That girl's fine. But what's with the drawn on scars all over her chest? Is she supposed to be done up like some game/anime character I'm just unfamiliar with? Or is that perhaps bleed-through from some other picture?
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler
    That's the most absurd thing I have heard all day.

Personally I would have preferred "Super 64 Nintendocube DS boy - Limited Edition Platinum"

But I guess we can't all win.
    add EX + alpha and a winner is you!
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Insert Coin (Level 0) ASSEMblerEX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link
    ASSEMblerEX: (I didn't want to quote that long post) Nice! That girl's fine. But what's with the drawn on scars all over her chest? Is she supposed to be done up like some game/anime character I'm just unfamiliar with? Or is that perhaps bleed-through from some other picture?
    It's cosplay. Some game character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    It'd be more fair to compare that thread to the one about the WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE's controller. Apples to apples and all.
    It'd be more fair, but the comparison still stands from our viewpoint. None of us are on the inside, none of us know the entire concept of the Wii, none of us are major marketing gurus, and none of us are market analysts that can legitimately measure the impact the name of a console has to it's eventual acceptance.

And I find it really entertaining that only one person so far has claimed they aren't buying the system because of the name. I should quote that for posterity.

As for all the piss jokes, if they had called it the Nintendo We, none of those would have come up. Phonetically identical, same meaning, but different spelling and now it garners a whole bunch of 1st grade potty humor. I'm as entertained by a good fart joke as anyone else, but all the Nintendo Urine jokes are just dumb.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i say its better than ps3 real original

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isnt she supposed to be THE BOSS? u know guys Metal Gear Solid 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe the number of people here writing the console off because of it's name. I thought that the crowd here was supposed to be more intelligent and open minded than the GameFaq people. Who really gives a shit what it's called? If they make good fun, games for it then it'll do well.

I seem to remember people complaining at one time the the name Dreamcast was stupid as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    It'd be more fair, but the comparison still stands from our viewpoint. None of us are on the inside, none of us know the entire concept of the Wii, none of us are major marketing gurus, and none of us are market analysts that can legitimately measure the impact the name of a console has to it's eventual acceptance.

And I find it really entertaining that only one person so far has claimed they aren't buying the system because of the name. I should quote that for posterity.

As for all the piss jokes, if they had called it the Nintendo We, none of those would have come up. Phonetically identical, same meaning, but different spelling and now it garners a whole bunch of 1st grade potty humor. I'm as entertained by a good fart joke as anyone else, but all the Nintendo Urine jokes are just dumb.
    Fair enough. Although we aren't industry, it has to say something that everyone on the net has taken a potshot at the name.

I think the majority of us are more concerned for Nintendo's welfare with this system and name, than our purchasing plans.

It's not Wii, or We, it's that it sounds like wee. The spelling didn't cause the piss jokes.

I still stand by position, illuminated by this almost-clever YTMND:

http://revolutionname.ytmnd.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

One last thing....

When I first saw the 'Wii', I thought it meant W-2; Nintendo was just trying to be cool by using lower case "I's" as roman numerals.

And even then, I still gotta say, that's a better name than 'Wii'.

Then I clicked the link and read the story... The first sentence tells us how it's properly pronounced.
    The first though that ran through my head.....

I gotta take a leak.

Sorry to be so graphic... But seriously folks, this name is gonna take some serious flack. Nintendo had better put out some damn flawless games to make up for that name alone. But I still don't think I'd ever admit to owning it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe its a big joke courtesy of Nintendo ....or were all part of some humungous "GEEK" NIGHTMARE, one that we have yet to wake up from .................................................. ...............OR we are all in Silent Hill x_x

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that this is the dumbest name they could've come up with. Revolution was known and really defined the console. Wii? Um, no.

Then again, remember how stupid everyone thought Dreamcast was? And it turned out to be an all right console name after all.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep trying to imagine that I will be saying " Wii " 6 months from now as if it is perfectly normal. However, I keep trying to use it in a sentance verbally, and it's just not working.

I have no idea how I would have a conversation about this console on the telephone.

This name might work great in Japan, but in North America and PAL Territories it will continue to be odd, strange, and difficult to use in a discussion about video games. (Actually it might work well in France...)

I guess I will just have to call it "Nintendo's New System", or say screw everyone and keep calling it the Revolution for as long as I live.

Dreamcast I can say, GameCube I can say, Playstation I can say. But Wii?

It seems Nintendo designed this name specifically to be that "last 5 seconds" at the end of a commercial on TV. Great... that's cute, but as a name used in general social discussions, it is HORRIBLE.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

There is far too much thought going into the name here.