Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Nintendo Wii Thread.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    It's too bad Meston got himself banned, though, because this thread would be so much more interesting with him around.
    You know before long the posts and the topic title end up edited as N/A ...see the DS thread Heuzus linked to. Must have been some real gold there for sure here as well.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got the 'wii' news from my teacher today in my texturing class...like all of you i was totally shocked at first and thought it was ridiculous, as did the rest of the class...no one could figure out what to make of it. I wasnt going to post anything but what the hell here are my 2 cents

Revolution was, hands down, a better name no questons asked, everyone loved it and was eagerly awaiting more Rev news. The name change was a major curve ball, no one saw it coming.

I think people WILL get used to it, but only because they HAVE to.

If you think of it in the context of WE and not WEE(PEE/PENIS/etc), its not a BAD name...yes there are dozens of names that would have been better but, oh well.

I dont know about you guys, but i havent said Wee, for going to the bathroom, since i was probably about 4. Again, people WILL stop making this connection (unless the console is a horrible failure, then it was be made fun of for the rest of time).

Nintendo is looking at the bigger picture here, they want you, your mom, your dad, and your sister to play. Just for an experiment, go ask your parents, or someone who is a non-gamer what they think of the name...I don't know what the reaction will be but let us know it might be interesting.

Nintendo has screwed up big time in the past, but since the DS i have learnt to trust them...look at how much that was hated when it was announced....those people who wanted to kill Nintendo are the same people playing their DS everyday.

And last but not least, let the games speak for the system. If the games kicks major ass, who's gunna bash it for the name? But they definetly have guts changin the name like that.
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

No one saw it coming? It was a code name from day one. They'd said in many, many interviews that it wasn't the actual name for the console.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

[quote="Jasoco"]You people overreact constantly.

1998: "DREAMCAST? That's the gayest name ever. I'm gonna keep calling it Katana!"

2000: "GAMECUBE?? What a faggy, blocky name! I'm gonna call it Dolphin, because that's much less faggy!"

2006: "Wii!? Oh my God, I can't handle it. It's just Revolution for me!"

The difference is that Wii has alternate meanings when you pronounce it. It doesn't just sound bad, but it means piss, penis, and tiny. Look, we're all going to buy it because of the games. That's us though. We know it's about the games.

What of the mainstream crowd Nintendo is trying to pull in? You know, the people that DON'T play games? Say someone is working in an office and in a casual conversation, they say "Hey, wanna come over tonight and play my Wii?"

Awkward? Believe it. Maybe Ipod sounded bad. Maybe Dreamcast sounded terrible. Maybe Xbox 360 doesn't roll off the toungue. The difference here is meaning, and the first things in my mind were the three alternate meanings, long before I grasped the whole "togetherness" aspect.

You can't sell a console named Wii to a soccer mom no matter how used to it we get. From a marketing perspective, it's a mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Likely scenario:

"Say, baby, why don't we go back to my place and play with my Wii-"

<SMACK!>

Oh, yeah, this is gonna be good. The parody ads alone will be worth the laughs.

<goes back to reading books>
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder what Freud would have to say about the initial reaction. To be honest, I would never have though about the "urinating" connotation at first.

Anyways, as for the name of the Nintendo Wii, I could care less. People who critisize it are just the whores of marketing, and I am sure once NIntendo markets it enough, you all will eat it up with a spoon. Is the Nintendo Wii really worse than "Sony Playstation 3", "Sony Playstation Portable", "Microsoft Xbox 360", or "Nintendo DS"? Or are you just bashing the name because you are following the crowd?
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you bought two of them, you'd have a wii wii.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAaaaa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    Likely scenario:

"Say, baby, why don't we go back to my place and play with my Wii-"

<SMACK!>

Oh, yeah, this is gonna be good. The parody ads alone will be worth the laughs.

<goes back to reading books>
    That would be funny to see... But Nintendo wouldn't dare tarnish their 'family-friendly' image.

At least i wasn't the only one praying that Nintendo themselves, would make fun of the name.

And I have to begin to agree with some of those, who are making fun of those of us, making fun of the name 'Wii' (I'm sorry... It still sounds a little funny to me)

After all.... Most of us old gamers, our first run in with Nintendo was with an oddly named game titled 'Donkey Kong' .

Then we played it, and totally cared less about the name, even though there was not a donkey to be found anywhere in the game.

The name still is funny, though. I probably would've liked the name better if they spelled WE correctly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WHen I came here (to the forum), I expected that there would be a huge topic on the new Wii system. I guess most people just are not that open to new ideas.

Yes, I myself thought the name was rather wierd, until I went to Nintendo's website and saw the animation for the name. To me, it makes sense now, and I loved the animation of the new system name.

Anyway, I plan on buying it no matter what it is called. If you don't like the name, deal with it! It Is JUST a name...

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I can't believe the number of people here writing the console off because of it's name. I thought that the crowd here was supposed to be more intelligent and open minded than the GameFaq people. Who really gives a shit what it's called? If they make good fun, games for it then it'll do well.
    I wrote off the system because:

1. I have never seen it in action.

2. I've never seen any videos of any games.

3. I have no idea what games are even on it.

4. I've never played it.
    Glad we got that out of the way.

Would i get same response if i had said "PS3" or "360", or do these responses only apply when Nintendo is named?

Just curious.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Just as long as people don't start calling the controller the "wii-ner"

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    That would be funny to see... But Nintendo wouldn't dare tarnish their 'family-friendly' image.
    Then I guessed you missed their commercial where they had a mouse humping a Micro?

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just adding another "my god that name sucks" reply.

My god, that name sucks. Can you imagine going into any store as a grown human and saying "Can I get a nintendo.......wii?"
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aight i slept on it and im now that im over the initial shock i sorta like it (in a non-gay way, assholes) its a much more colorful name than XBox or ps3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As already mentioned before, the name reminds me much more of Intel's Viiv (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Intel_Viiv.png) than anything Apple made. Personally, belonging to the non-English majority worldwide, I think the name is ok, because the first thing I thought of when hearing it was "we".
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too busy to read through all the replies but...

1) The bathroom humor jokes are going to be rampant

and

2) I'm still going to keep calling it the Revolution. Honestly I think Revolution was 100% perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod

You can't sell a console named Wii to a soccer mom no matter how used to it we get. From a marketing perspective, it's a mess.
    I agree. I personally don't really like the name, but don't really give a shit and will get used to it.

But i don't think the "casual" gamers will buy something with a stupid name that might not be able to pronounce. They have the look of the system right, but not the name. Those casual gamers care about looks and names first, everything else second.

If nintendo was trying to get the non gamer, they really fucked up with the name. My opinion is that with this name people will turn the other way.
    Real gamers won't care, but everyone else will.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I can't believe the number of people here writing the console off because of it's name. I thought that the crowd here was supposed to be more intelligent and open minded than the GameFaq people. Who really gives a shit what it's called? If they make good fun, games for it then it'll do well.

I seem to remember people complaining at one time the the name Dreamcast was stupid as well.
    Thank you!! Sure it's weird and is taking me a bit to get used to it, but 2 years from now, EVERYONE will know what it means and will be a household name just like ipod and everything else that was once weird.

Just from reading about the wii today, it's already growing on me.

Just calm down people, damn.
    Kirby's my bitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't read this thread since early on (maybe page 2), and haven't got time now, so I apologize if this has already been pointed out, but earlier in the thread I believe somebody said something like:

“Am I happy it’s called Wii? No. Will I still buy the console? Yes.”

Well, you're famous (sort-of)! Check this out:
    Rocky Mountain News

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still really hope they change the name but no matter what it ends up being
    called it will be refered to as "The Nintendo" around my place. Just like EVERY
    other nintendo console I'v ever owned

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What an awful name...You think Nintendo would know that there has NEVER been a company or product ::winniethepooh:: that has been successful ::bj'swarehouseclub:: that has had a silly name ::dick'ssportinggoods:: or some sexual connotation ::longjohnsilver's:: associated with it's name ::seaman'sfurniture::.

I mean just look around...why in the WORLD did they think this would be a good name?!?!?! What company would be foolish enough to name themselves after something that could be ridiculed so easily??

Ok guys, but seriously...you're ALL taking the wrong perspective on this...

What kid is going to want to be accused of not playing with his Wii?!? "Little Billy, you don't play with your Wii!??! What kind of freak are you? EVERYONE's playing with their Wii these days!! Are you from another planet or something? Who refuses to play with their Wii?!?!?

Sheesh people, it's just a name...I'll be lined up day one to buy one, no matter what the name.

FS