Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just beat Dracula! (Super Castlevania IV AND Dracula X!!!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Just beat Dracula! (Super Castlevania IV AND Dracula X!!!)

UPDATED, beat Dracula X tonight! See 1st post of 2nd page! Thanks to everyone who helped

Man, it felt sweet.

OK, so I used the "hidden secret" (jump to the left before heading up the staircases to meet Dracula) You get 99 heart's plus the cross among others.

He was easy with 99 crosses.

My question is, has anyone here ever beaten Dracula WITHOUT resorting to the hidden staircases secret? I mean, my goodness, I think he's damn near impossible to defeat! Especially with only 8 crosses! Death was tough but I beat him after several tries, I thought that would be it for stage 11... little did I know there was no stage 12 and that Dracula would be next.

Sweet game

I'd love to see a video of anyone who can beat Dracula without the secret. The best I can do is get him down halfway.energy... maybe one bar after the halfway mark. The flames are really cheap as they're usually JUST out of the reach of your whip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Good job man, I beat that game when I was 7 years old (I was a great player even back then) and man did it feel good. I used the 99 axes thing. Haven't been able to beat it again. One of the best Castlevanias.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan
    Good job man, I beat that game when I was 7 years old (I was a great player even back then) and man did it feel good. I used the 99 axes thing. Haven't been able to beat it again. One of the best Castlevanias.
    I like Matt Paprocki's reviews here on DP, but I disagree with a "7" on this game. Say, what is his handle on this site? Just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well wait until you fight Dracula in the Dracula X SNES game; it is pretty similar to IV, however, there are two differences: firstly, the ground it uneven, and secondly, there are holes in the ground!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I was able to beat him fairly easily without the cheat (didn't know about it for quite awile till I decided to try to kill simon out of frustration one day and found the platform...)

the best hints I can give:

as you know he has 3 or so differnt attacks, first phase is pretty easy, the trick is when those white balls show up is to be sure to whip them as they drop little porkchops. when he gets to that phase with the fireballs be sure to whip them from afar or they'll fall on you, its best to just whip one of them at a time and concentrate on whipping drac in the head as much as you can ,if you're low on hearts this would be the best time to use the boomerang on him though.

good luck :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Well wait until you fight Dracula in the Dracula X SNES game; it is pretty similar to IV, however, there are two differences: firstly, the ground it uneven, and secondly, there are holes in the ground!!
    If you have the axe and enough hearts, that fight is one of the easiest Dracula fights ever

(if you don't, then it's painfully cheap and unfair )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Drac was pretty easy on the CV 4, the worst for me was the original CV on NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats, Steve!

And what's this business with a hidden staricase? You mean I sweat blood and tears to beat that jerk back in 2001 when I beat that game?! SCREW!!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Congratulations. :) The first time I beat him I used the secret as well, but I have since then beaten it the standard way. Overall, he's actually a pretty easy Dracula (as is the game as a whole). Of course, he's not as pathetic as Dracula in SotN or Rondo.

As for the SNES Dracula X version, I was surprised at just how easy he was for me after hearing so many horror stories of just how impossible he was supposed to be. I'd say he was a bit more difficult than the CV4 Dracula, but not by much. It's just a simple matter of figuring out which platforms to stay on. For the first form, you can literally sit on just one platform for almost the entire time, just jumping and ducking when necessary.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats Steve, yet everyone is right about Drac X SNES. That was a fierce battle...especially since the jumping is unbalanced and timing is your best ally when moving from pillar to pillar.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    As for the SNES Dracula X version, I was surprised at just how easy he was for me after hearing so many horror stories of just how impossible he was supposed to be. I'd say he was a bit more difficult than the CV4 Dracula, but not by much. It's just a simple matter of figuring out which platforms to stay on. For the first form, you can literally sit on just one platform for almost the entire time, just jumping and ducking when necessary.
    I agree on the first form. It's all about this little spot right here:

For the second form, just sit here and spam the axe:

Took me a couple of plays before I figured it all out, but it really wasn't that bad. It wasn't quite the cakewalk of Rondo, but what is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Heh heh, thats quite the coincidence. That's the game I'm currently playing. Good job on beating Dracula, I can't wait until I get to him.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    I like Matt Paprocki's reviews here on DP, but I disagree with a "7" on this game. Say, what is his handle on this site? Just curious.
    Gamereviewgod

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's fairly easy without the cheat too, there's a trick for his first attack when he shoots the white fireball at you (the one that splits into three when you hit it and floats upward. Whip early and hold the button down so your whip hangs and the fireballs will harmlessly burn out on your whip and you won't take damage at least until the second or third attack patterns.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmmm, I beat CV4 in a day the week it came out...never really had a problem with Dracula.

CV 1 and 3 gave me hell beating Dracula...about 4 hours each the first times. It took me a long time to figure out the holy water kicks Drac's second form's ass in CV1. And CV3's Drac I can practically beat with one hand now.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    He's fairly easy without the cheat too, there's a trick for his first attack when he shoots the white fireball at you (the one that splits into three when you hit it and floats upward. Whip early and hold the button down so your whip hangs and the fireballs will harmlessly burn out on your whip and you won't take damage at least until the second or third attack patterns.
    I whip it late-ish ... this causes it to split in two, making it easy to jump over immediately.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I whip it late-ish ... this causes it to split in two, making it easy to jump over immediately
    still more work than necessary, just hold the whip out and the fireballs will burn out before they get to you.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx

I agree on the first form. It's all about this little spot right here:

For the second form, just sit here and spam the axe:

Took me a couple of plays before I figured it all out, but it really wasn't that bad. It wasn't quite the cakewalk of Rondo, but what is? :)
    Yep, that's exactly it. Even if you don't have an axe, the second form can be beaten easily with the cross or just the whip if you're fast with your attacks, dodge whatever you can (short of leaping off the platform), and have enough life to eat a few attacks before he kicks the bucket (which shouldn't be a problem if you hide out on the lower platform for the first form). I like using the cross myself, since it makes the first form even easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    I like using the cross myself, since it makes the first form even easier.
    I'll have to give that a shot. I was using the axe a good bit to compensate for the lack of the diagonal whipping action I so grew to love in Super Castlevania IV, but I'm all for making that first form even quicker

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't know about quicker, it might make it take even longer, but it definitely makes the first form as simple as can be.