Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okami Appreciate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Okami Appreciate

Can't believe this doesn't have it's own thread. This game, is beautiful. First week sales weren't the greatest, which only affirms how good the game is (if that makes any sense).

Anyways, I've whipped up a review and a compliation of information I gathered from some recent articles and interviews. There's some interesting goodies in there.

Check it out. And go buy this damn game if you haven't yet.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a demo included in the OPM a few months ago, I think. Even though I had trouble drawing anything with an analog stick I preordered a copy.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco
    There was a demo included in the OPM a few months ago, I think. Even though I had trouble drawing anything with an analog stick I preordered a copy.
    glad to know I wasn't the only one with that problem
    ...damn constellation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You won't regret it, although I believe the US release isn't until the fall, right? Great game. You just suck if you don't like this game.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the game is out today. Anyone pick it up? Gamespot gave it a 9.0, which is higher than I expected since I though this was just gonna be another game with unique visuals and nothing else.

The video review makes it look really cool, I have it in my Q to rent, maybe I'll pick it up for my birthday.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Going to get this tomorrow. Play magazine gave it a 10 out of 10. Hinted that this might be better than the ore anticipated Twilight Princess, or at least makes the waiting much easier.

Later,
    Trebuken

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youruglyclone
    glad to know I wasn't the only one with that problem
    ...damn constellation.
    So as it turns out, all I had to do was put a dot down where the stupid constellation begins. I was tracing the whole thing out.

I picked up this game earlier. So far, about 2 hours in to it, I'm seeing many things I like, and a few things from Wind Waker I don't. But so far, I've played 4 times as much Okami as Wind Waker, so it must be doing somethign right, I guess.

Wind Waker sucked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Wind Waker sucked.
    I don't think playing Wind Waker for a 1/2 hour qualifies you to even have an opinion.

That being said, Okami is amazing so far. It's definitely a nominee for current-gen game of the year. I'm constantly surprised that I'm playing a PS2 game. Still, I wonder why this didn't come out on the Gamecube? I guess Capcom has been too kind to Nintendo...they have to throw Sony a few bones now and then.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okami is AMAZING! Love it, my early pick for 128 bit game of the year (castlevania MIGHT beat it, will have to play it first). Pick up this game if you get the chance. I dont play a whole lot of new release games but I am very pleased I picked this up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Waiting on my preorder to arrive in the mail. I have played the new demo in OPM and was mesmerized by the beauty. Artistic games such as this and Shadow of the Colossus remind me that the DS is not the only modern system worth playing.

Side Note:
    Wind Waker was the best 3d Zelda I have played.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the Demo on an OPM disk and was AMAZED at this game, hell I played the Demo 3 times in a row.

OKAMI= ZELDA for PS2 but still different enough to be trully innovative and ummm whats the word we used to use for a few select video games waaay back in the day...oh YEA ORIGINAL yea thats the ticket!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm
    Wind Waker sucked.
    I don't think playing Wind Waker for a 1/2 hour qualifies you to even have an opinion.
    How many hours or what percentage of a game should be required? Or let's say the game has 50-something island/levels. How many levels should I be required to play through to form an opinion? Did you ever think I was comparing WW to the first 30 minutes of every other Zelda game made?

I haven't been kicked in the balls to death yet, but once or twice is enough for me to tell you that's not the way I want to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still, I wonder why this didn't come out on the Gamecube?
    Forget Gamecube, why isn't this on the DS? Is it just TOO obvious to use a stylus as a tail-brush? hehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone know if it supports 480p? From what I've seen it looks like this game would be even cooler in HD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

How many hours or what percentage of a game should be required?
    If you get past Dragon Roost Cavern (the first dungeon) and still hate Wind Waker...then at least you've given it a try. All Zelda games start slow. They get more fun as you progress and get better weapons, abilities, etc. Personally, I don't understand how someone could like Okami and not like Wind Waker. They're so similar in game play, that one could be the sequel to the other (this is good thing).

There are so many games out there that truly do suck. Saying an A-list game like Wind Waker sucks after only playing for a half hour is asinine...plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    anyone know if it supports 480p? From what I've seen it looks like this game would be even cooler in HD.
    No progressive scan and no widescreen support. They do have a LCD TV option which brightens up the screen a bit.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished Yakuza so it looks like i'll move on to this now if my local game shop has it in stock.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    It doesn't say progessive scan on the back of the case. I was suprised when my local EB told me they only received two copies. I bought the last one they had available. They were selling the Okami guide for $15.99 minus 20% if you bought it with the game.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Was reading a review of this earlier, reminds me a bit of the Soul Blazer trilogy.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many hours or what percentage of a game should be required?
    If you get past Dragon Roost Cavern (the first dungeon) and still hate Wind Waker...then at least you've given it a try. All Zelda games start slow. They get more fun as you progress and get better weapons, abilities, etc. Personally, I don't understand how someone could like Okami and not like Wind Waker. They're so similar in game play, that one could be the sequel to the other (this is good thing).

There are so many games out there that truly do suck. Saying an A-list game like Wind Waker sucks after only playing for a half hour is asinine...plain and simple.
    All Zelda games don't start out slow. They've become slower and slower. From Zelda 1 and 2 to Link's Awakening to Link to the Past to the Oracle games to the N64 monsters to Wind Waker/Four Swords. And it's not the speed at which WW started that threw me off it, but the tone and CLEAR sign that WW would be a game that I didn't like. Excuse the thousands upon thousands of hours of video games I've played across all genres and systems. Forgive me for not getting to this part or that part in the story and playing past that.

Seriously, Okami is slow as hell in the beginning (18 minutes before the first save point), but fun and interesting. I wasn't exactly "puzzled" or "challenged" and I'm pretty deep in to the main quest now. Okami has a subtle sense of humor and depth, not only visually but in the story. The enemies are few enough to keep me awake but not enough to slow me down. Pre-rendered cutscenes mixed in so perfectly. The heavy use of 2D objects in a 3D world. Plus, the actual gameplay is engaging and fresh.

I'm sure you enjoyed WW a whole lot, man. Great for you. To answer my own question, I feel it's safe enough to form an opinion of a game after 30 seconds (minus load times, right GTA?). You put your best foot forward, no matter the medium. Books, movies, music albums, whatever. If the first 30 seconds of a game is part of a twelve-minute flashback cutscene of battle that took place 100 years ago, well, it better be a damn good cutscene. I'm not demanding instant gratification or proclaiming the benefits of a short attention span.

I'm just saying I played WW for 30 minutes. The game sucked. I saw where it was heading and I got off that train. All the awards, praise, Player's Choice releases and arguements in the world don't mean a thing to me, man. I'll give it another chance 5-10 years down the road, like I did with Final Fantasy VIII and Ocarina of Time. If I'm not in the mood of playing something better, that is.

Who knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't kill this thread will a flame war over a person's opinion of Wind Waker. We really need to ram home the point here that PEOPLE NEED TO GO OUT AND BUY OKAMI. If you get to the sailing in WW, you can form a pretty solid opinion of the game. The dungeons and landmasses are pure Zelda, and the graphics are great all around, but WW is possibly the worst game in the series because said sailing that makes up the bulk of the game is incredibly tedious and not very engaging after the first hour or so. It's shameful that, several years after its release, I still haven't managed to finish it because it just feels like work. Enough on that though.

I was totally stunned by Okami. Having only seen screens in magazines and online, I was ill-prepared for what awaited me upon actually getting the game in my hands. If it fails to catch on, Okami will be the quintessential sleeper for the PS2. People need to play this game.

Truth be told, Okami is the first game since Ocarina of Time to take me to that special place where even tedium becomes enjoyable. The Zelda comparison is a good one, though there is enough originality for this game to transcend the label. This is not a Zelda clone, but rather an entirely new game that happens to occupy the same genre. It is about time that a game broke through in this genre in this way.

The graphics are beyond description. Wholly and truly breathtaking, Okami serves my personal opinion that Next Gen is being forced upon us too soon. "Cel-shading" doesn't even begin to describe the visuals. Usually I could care less for graphics, but Okami is mind-blowing. It is truly one of the most beautiful games ever created and absolutely will be 10 years from now as well.

The funny thing about all of this is that it would have made a truly perfect Wii game. We might even see that happen down the line here, if not in a port, then in a sequel. The drawing mechanic is tailor made for the Wiimote. Regardless, the Dual Shock 2 does an admirable job.

I might eat my words in 2 months, but this game just might be the best choice for Game of the Year 2006. Twilight Princess on the Wii be damned. Wiimote or not, the Zelda game is a sequel. Okami is a masterpiece.