Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspected/Confirmed GCD Reprints

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Suspected/Confirmed GCD Reprints

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought it would be a good idea to get a list going of gamequestdirect.com reprints so people don't wind up overpaying for reprints. it sounds like gcd actually reprints rare games, ebays them until the prices start to drop, then they start selling them in stores.

so, if you know gcd has reprinted a game post it here. if you suspect they are, post it here too.

why did i start this thread? i picked up a copy of thousand arms, mint, that looks suspiciously like the rhapsodys and personas that were reprinted. plus - it was made by atlus, who seems to be allowing gcd to reprint everything.

therefore, one suspected game: thousand arms.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm pretty sure Rez (PS2) has been reprinted

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rez
    rhapsody
    persona 2
    gitaroo man

are all confirmed

i'm pretty sure all of the shadow hearts games have been reprinted too. yes even the latest one.

http://www.gamequestdirect.com/031719268184.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Cubivore, RE2 and RE3 on the Gamecube were reprinted as well.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE2 and RE3 were most definitely reprinted, but I didn't think it was GCD that did it. I thought (operative word) it was capcom. but I might be wrong . . .

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow so I'm out of the loop. Do you mean that they are reprinting the boxes and instructions or the actual game itself. I guess it would be really hard to do the game, so it must just be the packaging, but I thought I'd ask.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, they're reprinting the whole deal: box, instructions and game. Completely indistiguishable from the original games. There is a previous thread with all the nefarious details around here somewhere . . .

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I ordered a Persona 2 and Rhapsody from them via phone, I asked them if they were reprints or original releases. They straight up LIED to me and told me they were originals and that they only had so many leftover.

Absolutely deceptive practice. Preconceived and with intent to pull a fast one on everybody.
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ICO is being re-printed. But probably not by GCD

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow - that is very shady.

when i get some spare time i'm going to do some research and start contact the california AG or whoever would handle this. in some ways, what they are doing (passing off reprints as originals) is analogous to what vididots was doing (passing off used games as new).

if cali has some sort of statute like new jersey's, gqd could be in some trouble.

the new jersey statute - Within the jurisdiction of this court, with the purpose to defraud another, utter numerous video game cartridges so that it appeared to have value because of antiquity, rarity, source, or authorship which the video game cartridges did not possess, specifically by buying used video game cartridges, repackaging the cartridges and selling them as new or collectable over eBay, in violation of N.J.S. 2C:21-2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know if the PS1 Breath Of Fire games have been re-printed? Every time I've been into a Gamestop within the past 6 months, I always see complete copies of these games?

Backguard, did your copy of Thousand Arms come with the trading card too? I always figured if GQD re-printed the games like Thousand Arms and Ogre Battle, they wouldn't bother to re-print the extras that originally came with them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it didn't come with any extras, and i agree w/ you that they wouldn't print the extras. breath of fire 4 was reprinted, but i don't know about breath of fire 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So by reprints you just mean they're pirate copies right?

How do they play in unmodded consoles?

Insert Coin (Level 0) mydjsobad's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

no, they're legits, they basically work out deals with the company that owns the game to make more copies of rare games so they can sell them at the price they came out at new (undercutting ebay sellers, etc.) since they know that clueless collectors and gamers will buy them.

I know that Super Puzzle Fighter for PSX was one they did a while back, but I'm unsure of any terribly recent reprints. Granted I wouldn't be surprised they snatched up the rights to MvC2 for Xbox and PS2 anytime soon.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoTriggaFoo
    When I ordered a Persona 2 and Rhapsody from them via phone, I asked them if they were reprints or original releases. They straight up LIED to me and told me they were originals and that they only had so many leftover.

Absolutely deceptive practice. Preconceived and with intent to pull a fast one on everybody.

they werent lying, they ARE originals, and they WERE reprinted in limited quantities. they have the game's respective company's permission to set up an additional run of copies of said game. nothing shady about anything here. as far as anyone should be concerned, these are the same games. they have _N_O_ distinguishing features over thier predecessors. companies do this with their games all the time, the only difference here, is that these companies commissioned GCD to do the additional run.

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!

they werent lying, they ARE originals, and they WERE reprinted in limited quantities. they have the game's respective company's permission to set up an additional run of copies of said game. nothing shady about anything here. as far as anyone should be concerned, these are the same games. they have _N_O_ distinguishing features over thier predecessors. companies do this with their games all the time, the only difference here, is that these companies commissioned GCD to do the additional run.
    Poofta, the point I'm making is that I asked them POINT BLANK if they were reprints or originals. Very easy question to answer. And they told me they were the original printing. Not reprints. And the quantities can't be that limited since they're abundant in all Gamestops and EB games that I go to.
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mydjsobad
    no, they're legits, they basically work out deals with the company that owns the game to make more copies of rare games so they can sell them at the price they came out at new (undercutting ebay sellers, etc.) since they know that clueless collectors and gamers will buy them.
    Word. Thanks

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dukes of Hazard for PS2 was reprinted by GQD I think. Hence the large price drop and the mshowing up at Wal Marts everywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!

Poofta, the point I'm making is that I asked them POINT BLANK if they were reprints or originals. Very easy question to answer. And they told me they were the original printing. Not reprints. And the quantities can't be that limited since they're abundant in all Gamestops and EB games that I go to.
    in the end does it matter? the reprints are identical to the originals in every way
    *insert signature >here<*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suppose Sony comes out with 'Rez 2007' (for discussion sake), and it's released in March 2007. Now, when Sony produces the game, they run off a batch of 100,000 copies.

Turns out, the game is a surprise hit, and a month later Sony runs off another 100,000.

Should copies 100,001 - 200,000 be considered 'reprints'?

That's the exact same thing GQD (GCD?) is doing. The only difference is that some time has passed since the original release, and the original producer has subcontracted out the reprinting duties.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog