Thread: Replacing batteries in Nomad rechargeable battery pack

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replacing batteries in Nomad rechargeable battery pack

I want to buy a Nomad battery pack but I've heard the cells are usually dead and need replacing. Does the case for the battery pack just pop open? I don't want to spend lots of money importing one to the UK only to find it's a difficult job I'll just make a mess of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the pack just comes apart into two pieces. You slot the new AAs, click it shut and you're set to go. I know this from actually fiddling with my old Nomad a few weeks ago.

-Jim

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. I ordered some on ebay.com the other day. The only one on ebay.co.uk was £11 for one including shipping. I got two for about £12 delivered. Probably high by US standards, but I think it's worth it. Hopefully they'll come some time around next Saturday.

I've noticed the price of Nomads on ebay.co.uk has gone up a huge amount. The last one I saw was £82 delivered for a loose one with a mains adaptor. I thought I overpaid at less than half that. It's hard to get a realistic price on ebay.com because most of them come with some loose games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't the battery pack just NiCD batteries? Don't bother with it (unless its just for collection purposes). Just get a NI-MH charger and some rechargeable NiMHs. You'll be much better off.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Isn't the battery pack just NiCD batteries? Don't bother with it (unless its just for collection purposes). Just get a NI-MH charger and some rechargeable NiMHs. You'll be much better off.
    I haven't seen many of the battery packs that take normal alkaline batteries on ebay. They're usually bundled with a Nomad console. I bought the rechargeable pack and I've got some NiMHs ready to replace the old NiCads.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the battery packs the other day. It turned out it wasn't a simple "swap the batteries" job. One of them had a blown fuse and the other had a few cracks in the trace on the PCB.

They both worked fine using the mains to power the Nomad. But they wouldn't charge the batteries because there was no connection to them. A few wires bridging the gaps solved the crack problem, but I need to buy a fuse some time. I think it's a fuse, it looks like a resistor but says "250V 1A 169(degrees)C~" on the side.

I've been charging the fixed one with the old batteries still in it for about two hours. I put a multimeter on the contacts with the mains cord taken out and it showed there was some charge in there, so I'm going to leave it over night.