Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super C = Pwned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super C = Pwned

What're your finest video game moments?
    Rules are simple: just share with us your best moments in the games. This is hardly anything more then bragging rights
    I'll share mine, which just ended 5 minutes ago on my old NES, which only half the time works.

In case you don't yet know what Super C is, it's the second game in the Contra series.
    I'm glad I clarified that up for the two of you.
    Anyways, I just beat it without the usage of codes (Holy shit, Batman), and learned that this game really isn't that hard...well, ok, it is, my previous 1000 attempts can testify to that. I decided to share my exploits:
    First, a quick rundown of the weapons:
    A; M: Both of these are machine guns (although A may stand for AK47 or Assault Rifle, and it seems to be faster then M, which stands for Machinegun, I believe).
    L: L is the laser, and really isn't all that useful, except to be used as a pole in front of you (keep hitting the A button, and nothing from one side that is on the ground at standard height will hit you). Don't get this weapon.
    F: F is a flamethrower, and really only has one advantage: when it hits, it blows up, hitting everything around it.
    Finally, the weapon that god himself made and gave to man:
    S: The shotgun (I think it's a shotgun, at least, it spreads its bullets.) There's also the R gun, and I really can't tell the difference between them, although I think one of htem has a bigger spread.
    Ahem, this gun kicks ass, chops it up into little pieces, and feeds it to the poor (it both kicks ass and is respectful and humble about its beginnings).
    Now, a few helpful hints:
    The only time your finger should ever leave that B button is to fire it again.
    You should always be firing.
    Whenever going up a hill, always aim it for up and over. If an enemy comes from behind, jump behing them.

Anyways, what I did:

First off, I'm going to give you a quick rundown on how I beat this game

Level 1: The first level
    Lives Lost: 0

I grabbed the machine gun and kicked some ass.
    This level is fairly easy, and eventually you get to the boss. I beat him before he got the chance to come back around. The shotgun works, my friend, it really does. Stay on the left of the screen and continuously fire up. Walk across the screen with him, until you blow everything up and the multlicolored ball is there. Destroy that. The end. I've beaten this level before, and, if you don't do it like that, you have to put up with it dropping off some enemies at you. Don't settle for that bullshit, kill the bitch.

Level 2: 3D Contra
    Lives Lost: 0
    This level isn't too hard. The first hundred times I got here, it was hard as hell, but I quickly got used to it. This level is a bit above the first level, but not by much.

When you see the tanks, stand slightly to the left of their firing. When you see the first to tanks, do this to the left one, and continue using the shotgun on the bastard. When you get to the boss, go right behind him and go berzerk on him, he can't do shit to you if you stand just right.

Level 3: The ground falls beneath you, and you're liable to fall on your ass and die
    Lives Lost: ??? (I can't remember...though I think I may have gotten killed here)

This one takes place in the jungle, so watch out for monkey aliens ruining your day by jumping off of a tree and landing onto your head. I think one may have fallen on me, not sure, because right after this level was over I went somewhere for two hours.
    Anyways, you'll soon meet a huge sixarmed robot thing that fires weird shit at you. I'd beaten him before, and remembered that jumping on his head is the best defence ever. EVER.
    What you do: jump on head, wait for him to start shooting, jump off when he's done, fire a few types, jump back on, repeat.
    Next, we have earthquakes. I may have died here as well, not sure. Watch out, always plan your jumps, and move over to where you'll fight a big wall. I shit you not.
    BFW (Big Fucking Wall)
    I used the spread gun, stood right underneath the bastard, and shot the four circle spinning things and killed them. This does take a bit of dodging, so, go ninja mode on the bastard.

Level 4: Ummm...There's An Elevator
    Lives Lost: 1
    I died once in this stage, but that was while on the elevator, and there was a Shotgun pickup right beside me! Basically, what I did here was always shoot upwards. Always. And always shoot at the doors those things crawl out of.
    Those weird multicolored things, I killed those with the shotgun, and I also killed the turrets (although it is slightly harder with it moving up and the bullets not).
    Boss: Seargent Asswipe
    This boss was the farthest I had ever gotten before today. This boss kicked my ass so much before, but now I am proud to say that I not only killed them, I also then pulled down my pants and took a piss on him. What did I do? I followed the lasers, constantly shooting up at him. Eventually you destroy some, and then just keep firing up with the shotgun while underneath the destroyed piece, and you should kill him quickly.

Level 5: <Insert Mildly Humorous Quip Here>
    Lives Lost: 3

This thing has you basically constantly jumping up from floating mass of land to floating mass of land. This level is easy. Well, the level part is. The only hard part I had here was with one particular turret, which I will dub Dick. Anyways, eventually you'll be on what reminded me of the back of a Wallmart truck jumping down constantly. This my friends is the easy part. You'll soon meet the boss, who is the hardest in the game (yes, harder then the last boss).

Boss: 4 1/3 Star General "I like to throw loads of shit at you because I'm supposed to be retired but you're making me have to come back and accept lower wages because your planet didn't surrender and allow my planet to take your money and pay my salery" (or something close to that).

This thing shoots at you, throws red shit, and skulls that are below your firing rage, forcing you to get on the ground and shoot. A lot. I died three times facing this asshole. THREE FUCKING TIMES. Watch out.

Level 6: The End
    Life Losses: 0 or possibly 1.
    Ok, now this is wear everything reminds me of the alien series. You have floating aborted babies and strange weird shit that I think runs faster then regular stuff. Or, to make a long story short, this level really isn't that hard. Only thing to watch out for is the ones inside of the ground that spit out red things that float. Destroy those imediately, because I don't think they're going to stop for you to walk over them.Eventually, the sealing starts to fall. I took this opportunity to duck each time, just in case it decided to trick me and drop down lower. It never did, but it never hurts to be paranoid.
    Then you meet the final boss:
    Picasso Painting:
    Personally, I stayed to the back when the wall got destroyed and just started firing. He came out of the ground instead, but I figured he was going to walk through. I quickly stayed to the back, and fired up into the air at the black shit he fired, and had to dodge the red thing. I then decided to move closer, as he didn't seem like he was going to be moving. After ten minutes straight of firing into his legs and the bombs, I realized this was going nowhere, and decided to jump on the leg thing and try firing at his head. Word of advice: never try that. I think a red thing may have hit me, but I'm not sure. Either way, it was fired desperatly close at me, so I got to the ground, right beside his leg, and fired left/up, killing him soon enough because the red thing can't do shit when you do that. I'd occasionally jump up and fire at the skull head, just to speed up the process. This wasn't really a hard boss, compared to the one before him.
    This was my finest video game moment. What're some of yours?
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Doing what you did back in 1992 without losing a life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game: GoldenEye 007.

2-Player Multiplayer.

My friend's favorite scenario: Grenade Launcers in The Stack.
    We play for first to 10 points. My word, that pwnage was so good, I wish I could have tapped it! I got the grenade launcher and I was un-freaking-beatable. The score at the end of the game was this.

Me: 10, Him: 0

:P

I've also beaten Mega Man X without dying. Only did it once. But since that is one of the easier X games, I guess that isn't saying much.

Offing Quick Man in Mega Man 2 with only about half my energy and without the Time Stopper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    Doing what you did back in 1992 without losing a life.
    Ditto, except insert Contra for Super C and several times for 1992.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Oh man, this is so inappropriate.

Game: EverQuest. Yes, I'm bragging about my EverQuest skillz.

Pre-Kunark, no expansions. High Elf Enchanter, I think I was around level 42. Zone: Lower Guk.

Anyone who played this game pre-Velious at a fairly high level knows Lower Guk. Giant frog den with all kinds of fucked up pathing that put the "Ever" in "EverQuest." As in, pull a frog, it runs to the end of the zone and back to you bringing every frog bat and skeleton with it. So you die, lose all kinds of experience and time and just because you're a massochist, you go right back because when it works, the exp was excellent.

Anyways, Enchanters job: crowd control. One of the very few classes in EQ that required some form of skill until they made every mob in the game pretty much immune to all forms of mez. Juggle that with the half dozen buffs your party always needed and it was always a handful. Timing was EVERYTHING.

So nightmare situation goes, we're camping up right at the top of the... fort I guess it was. A cave leading in has some lower level bats, skeletons and frogs. A big bridge into an underground cavern and right at the top on the left side theres a small room with maybe 4 mobs, one named... Assassin maybe? Holy worthless memories batman, this is at least 4 years ago. Anyways, frog pops, instantly runs out the room, down the stairs, down the hall to the left, all the way down to the room almost to the king. Late night, no ones camping the sage(magi?) down there, they ALL come up. No nameds though.

Enchanters have pretty much three worthwhile spells in varying degrees of strength and effect: Mesmerise, Stun, and Clarity. Clarity is THE buff for casters, makes your mana regenerate faster. Mesmerize keeps a mob mezzed for a short period of time, so if your puller grabs three guys you mez two while your fighters beat on one til it dies, I tell the group which to break, kill that one while I keep the last mezzed, and so on. Stun was an area spell that temporarily stunned everything in a decent radius, and if you were lucky, cleared their memory.

So there you have it, we've got a good 20-30 mobs on the way and it's my job to make sure the healers have mana, the tanks can deal with one mob at a time, and I don't die. I die, everyone dies.

But I'm awesome, so of course no one dies. I run out of the room, invis, run down as far as I can noticing everying is gone, no frogs anywhere. Bad news. I see them starting to come back up and as soon as the first mob in the train makes it in range I cast my stun and run like hell.

Make it back up to the room and as soon as one makes it in I mezzed. Now, the frustrating part of being an Enchanter is you have to make sure you party listens to you, or everyone dies. They have to attack exactly the right mobs in the right order so you can keep the crowd controlled and have enough mana to do so. So what do I do? I target the first one in sight from inside the room and mez. Spells have casting times so the guy isn't stuck until hes in the room, and he's being followed, by a lot of crap. So it sticks, he stops right inside the room, and my retarded tank attacks him.

So the chain stuns come out. The terrible thing about mez and stun is that it gets TONS of agro. So pretty much when stun breaks or mez breaks, they head straight for you. I'm getting railed by 3 or 4 at a time, not getting heals because my clerics spells are getting interrupted, just a nightmare. I'm running in and out of the room to get away from mobs long enough to cast a mez or stun. I eventually got all but one mob on me (was attacking the warrior inside the room), ran out of the room and with pretty much my last chance got them far enough out of sight of the room, stunned and ran back to the room.

They ALL mem wiped. It was absolutely glorious. That was probably the most extreme example in terms of numbers of enemies... but on the giant 40 person raids in sebilis, mezzing the bigass golems was life saving. By "life saving" I mean "Been on this raid for 4 hours, don't need a 4 hour corpse run because some dumbass monk can't pull." Stunning them and timing it well enough salvaged raids many times. I was awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Moo Cow did you keep (or are you keeping) a gaming journal? Seems like it. Personally, I do. It's gonna be fun to read back in a couple years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Moo Cow did you keep (or are you keeping) a gaming journal? Seems like it. Personally, I do. It's gonna be fun to read back in a couple years.
    I used to right down top scores, passwords, secrets, and how many jumps I could do in Super Mario RPG written in one of those black and white notebooks. I also listed things on Adams Family Values in it, but only write down things now that I'm particularly proud of (Although I forgot to add up in there the second 3D level...damn).
    I do it after the fact, though I will sometimes write down strategies on scrap sheets of paper...I wish I could remember where my Castlevania 3 passwords were...they were written on the back of torn wrapping paper.
    My feedback
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used to be able to beat Contra and Super C on one life..I think I have video tapes of it somewhere. I was even able to max the score in both without codes. For a short while I was able to do the same in Rush N Attack too. Congrats, btw! Not many folks have the patience to get that good at the games.

I think I have an old thread about games you can beat on one life, if anyone is interested...Ah, here it is:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2939

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I used to be able to beat Contra and Super C on one life..I think I have video tapes of it somewhere. I was even able to max the score in both without codes. For a short while I was able to do the same in Rush N Attack too. Congrats, btw! Not many folks have the patience to get that good at the games.

I think I have an old thread about games you can beat on one life, if anyone is interested...Ah, here it is:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2939

-Rob
    On one life? Wow, congratulations!
    Hell, I'm surprised anyone could beat Bionic Commando Especially with just one life.
    My feedback

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Funny you mention Bionic Commando....it is one of the easier games to beat on one life. If you just level up to the max in level 1, you're good as gold.

I remember when I got the game I thought it was impossible. Once I learned how easy it was to level up and then get more continues whenever you want, the game was smooth sailing.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Super C = Pwned

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow
    A; M: Both of these are machine guns (although A may stand for AK47 or Assault Rifle, and it seems to be faster then M, which stands for Machinegun, I believe).
    That's an R, not an A. I think it's supposed to be Rapid Fire, but in most of the games I can't see any visible effect to it. In the MSX and Famicom Contra, for example, it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'd better read through that manual again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There have been plenty of moments, but the one that always pops to mind is when I beat Battletoads for the NES. Yeah, that game was pretty hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Funny you mention Bionic Commando....it is one of the easier games to beat on one life. If you just level up to the max in level 1, you're good as gold.

I remember when I got the game I thought it was impossible. Once I learned how easy it was to level up and then get more continues whenever you want, the game was smooth sailing.

-Rob
    I don't like the game at all, and all I ever remember of it was getting used to the arm...I never could fully get used to it...it would've been easier if they put a jump button instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    That's an R, not an A. I think it's supposed to be Rapid Fire, but in most of the games I can't see any visible effect to it. In the MSX and Famicom Contra, for example, it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'd better read through that manual again
    Ahh. It looked like an A to me, but it could be an R.
    My feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game: Descent (PC)

The original is pretty easy, only 26 levels and 5 secret levels for 31 total 3D mazes. I could easily beat the game switching between lasers and the plasma cannon with usage of missles only against main boss bots. Running through the game is a breeze and got it down to where I wouldn't lose a single life. Multiplayer was another thing. Doing lots of dial-up matches against friends I always stood on top with ranks and blew everyone away. A lot of my friends were really good at the game as well and had beaten it without cheats so they weren't a bunch of newbies. Looking back on it there were lots of fun times and nearly forced others to just want co-op missions with me.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Beat Mega Man X without dying, finding every item, and beating it one sitting.

I have done this four times.

Beating Castlevania.

God damn, that game is hard.

I also once power shielded Jigglypuff's sing in Super Smash Bros. Melee. More of a wtf moment than an accomplishment, but I guess I'm one og the few people that's ever done it.

I've also beaten the Elite Four in Pokemon Blue using only a Charizard, which wasn't even level 100 yet.

You know what, you guys win. But just adding my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I beat the Elite Four in Pokemon Emerald using six guys (none of them legendaries) that were all level 48-52. That was one tough battle...

...but it was nothing compared to the final battles of Pokemon Colosseum for me. Six trainers, NO healing / using items in between the battles, 2v2 battles all, and what is worse is that each of those six trainers had a Shadow Pokemon - which meant that you couldn't just use a type-advantage to destroy that one, you had to pull a capture move on it. But you DID have to destroy the other enemy Pokemon in the 2v2, who may or may not use a devastating move like Earthquake to knock out its Shadow comrade and deprive you of that snag, meaning that you'd have to start all over from the beginning, basically. And then the 2nd to last guy had a Shadow Metagross, and the last guy Evice had a Shadow Tyranitar (which I just used the Master Ball on). That was an intense battle.

The other most intense moments in gaming were probably a) a three-person vs three-NPC battle of Starcraft I had once @ work on New Year's Eve, and / or b) some of the Age of Empires II battles we used to have at that same old job at lunch time. Man, some of those battles were intense. But there were so many I can't remember any individual one as being any better or worse than the others.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What're your finest video game moments?
    -- In Madden '05, having Josh Reed of the Bills (who is garbage in real life) shatter basically every WR record in the books, making Jerry Rice look human.

-- Beating the Dr Wily stage of Mega Man 1 without dying a bunch of years ago. Haven't been able to do that since.

-- Knocking out Mike Tyson in Punch Out when I was 12 or so. Come on, that was every kid's goal back then!
    ________
    THE EASY VAPE
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forgot to add this one:

Beating Event 51 on Super Smash Bros. Melee. That's the one where you fight Giga Bowser, Mewtwo and Gannondorf 3-on-1. I did this using Marth with two lives to left. Yay, me!! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I can't really think of any that I've done but the most impressive moment I've ever seen was a friend of mine could keep up with the turbo button on the SNES arcade stick. We would play WWF and when we got into a grapple he would be able to hang on for a good 10-20 seconds. He could beat it as long as it wasn't on the highest setting.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beating Marble Madness on Nes, beating battletoads for Genesis without continuing, Beating Spelunker, Beating Battletoads Battlemaniacs without cheating.

One of the most interesting things I've ever seen done was when my friend was playing final Fantasy VII and he wanted to show me what Emerald weapon looked like, he didn't have the underwater Materia, he just wanted to show him to me and he ended up beating him, I have no Idea how he did that to save my life.

On another knote I beat Emerald weapon with a level one Phoenix Materia, probably more luck than anything but I still did it.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link