Thread: OVGE this year?

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OVGE this year?

Is there going to be an OVGE this year? I looked at the OVGE site today and it hasn't been updated for this year's event (it still has OVGE 2005 info on it).

Anybody know what's going on for OVGE this year?

Thanks.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: OVGE this year?

Quote Originally Posted by AltairBoy
    Is there going to be an OVGE this year? I looked at the OVGE site today and it hasn't been updated for this year's event (it still has OVGE 2005 info on it).

Anybody know what's going on for OVGE this year?

Thanks.
    I talked with Jesse a few months ago, and he said that while he was trying to get something together, the hotel management had changed and it had him looking for a new hall. With all the trouble I had finding a new hall last year, it's a process that takes a lot of time sometimes, but hopefully OVGE will come back bigger and better than ever! I'm definitely going to try to make it if it does happen again
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might as well start explaining what the deal is here to everyone here. Alot of what I'm about to say isn't public knowledge but it might help to explain things a bit.

First of all, I have begun prelim planning for an '06 show. As Dan stated hotel management at the Marriott did indeed change again this year. I don't know how normal this is. But every year since '04 now, the Marriott has changed sales/catering managers. What this means is that I have to go through the entire process with them on negotiations for the space.

To put is simply, they aren't budging for me this year and this means that to host the event at the Marriott will double the expenses of the show. This means double the table pricing and admission going to about $5 per person. To the average attendees this isn't that big a deal going from $3 to $5. But the tables are huge, as it will cause exhibitors to loose interest in the show. I already allowed them to sell as well as exhibit over the past 2 years, but still many of the exhibitors felt the pricing was too high for them to just come up and show. Vendors won't really have that much of a problem with my table fees doubling as even with the double price, my tables are still far cheaper than any other events in my area would charge.

But that isn't the real issue for me. The real issue, is that I can't justify to the public why I have to increase everything in cost for the exact same show..in the same place...in the same amount of space. The solution is to move the venue. But honestly, in Tulsa, we don't have much choice in the way of Venue that is affordable to me. And even with the increased pricing, the Marriott is still so far the cheapest proposal I have gotten. Even Best Westerns and Holiday Inns want more to host the event?!

Anyway, I have not given up on hosting a show for '06 just yet. I do have a tentative date set with the Marriott that I will try and get more concretely set soon. That date...looks to be August 19th right now.

In addition to all of this, my responsibilities at work have more than doubled with the aquisition of a new contract. I am an instructor for my company and just recently got back from a 2month stint in Denver. In any case I simply haven't really had time to update the site. Once I get more info and something more specific on dates, I will update the site post haste and make a more formal announcement here and on the other gaming websites.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate to suggest this but would it be cheaper in okc instead of tulsa?

I know that would be a big jump and not as close to you but I thought I'd throw it out there. And if you do like the idea i'll help any way I can.