Thread: A question for SNES and Genesis sealed collectors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A question for SNES and Genesis sealed collectors

I bought a copy of Pocky & Rocky 2 on SNES and Zero: The Kamikaze Squirrel for Genesis today from a used game store, but I have reason to believe that they are factory sealed. I researched what sealed SNES and Genesis games look like on eBay and whatnot, but still can't determine for sure if these are genuinely sealed or not (if anything, they are resealed display copies, with unused stuff inside of them; the store I bought them from is an independent that was in business back when these were new, and I think I just got old stock).

The Pocky & Rocky 2 does not have that vertical seam on the back like the sealed games on eBay seem to, nor does it have a hangtag, but it is nice and tightly sealed with a straight seam around the edge, minus the left side.

The Zero: The Kamikaze Squirrel is sealed with that thick shrink wrap, and the hangtag on the clamshell is sort of pushed down by the wrapping. There's a straight cut hole there to allow for the hangtag popping out, but it's as if it missed a little bit, and is instead pulling the tag down some.

I'd post pictures of these so you guys could look for yourself, but I don't have a digital camera. I bought these games to play, but if they are legitimately sealed I'll just hawk them on eBay or hold onto them as trade bait and buy cart-only copies later. So, does it sound like these are actually factory sealed? Do factory sealed SNES games always have the vertical seam on the back? And how exactly were clamshell Genesis games sealed?
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zero isn't really a great game, it's ok I suppose, but I'd probably sell it. I have no clue though about facroty seals.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can no one help me out with this? I see that someone over in the Everything eBay forum posted a similar question a day or two after I made this thread, and it went unanswered, too.

I figured this was a question that had been answered a million times before, and someone would post a link and the thread would be locked. But my search came up empty...
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are different types of seals for games released by different companies, not that they're all different. It's going to be really hard to tell unless you have pictures and someone has a game to compare it to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

hangtags would be on the outside for a factory seal.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah you pretty much need pictures to compare them. Also you need to find a picture of the same game sealed. Because different companies sealed games differently. The sealed SNES game I have does have a horizontal seam but thats Secret of Evermore. So you can't really go by that.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pocky & rocky 2 on snes. Unless it's a majesco release ( - look for majesco's name on the back and 'assembled in mexico' on the bottom right of the back of the box) it's resealed. Should have the line unless majesco, to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A quick update for anyone interested:

I went back to the store I bought these games at to see if they had any others, and then would compare the shape (if I got another shrinkwrapped in the same way, I'd open one and see if it appeared to be a factory seal or a reseal--too bad you have to actually break the seal to determine this). They didn't have any more Zeros, but they had two more copies of Pocky and Rocky 2. I bought them both. One was opened but complete and absolutely mint (even had the baggie around the cart and everything like that); I don't think that it was ever sold to anyone. The other had a hangtab and the vertical line on the back. So, it looks like the first one I bought is a reseal, albeit a reseal of a game that was opened and never played.

I've still had no luck determining the legitimacy of the sealed Zero. No one knows anything about what a sealed late release Genesis game looks like, it seems.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    hangtags would be on the outside for a factory seal.
    I believe there are some sealed Genesis games that don't have hang tags, mostly late releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

well obviously a genesis hangtag is inside since its part of the cartridge case

not sure on cardboard releases.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r