Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: E3 2006 - News, Updates, pics, videos official thread.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far I find the E3 pretty disappointing and not exciting at all. Nothing new about the games, the starting holes are dug for the console race for some time now, Nintendos Wii controller still opens up a lot of Qs about gameplay, and Ns role as the supplier of a 'supplement' machine seems to be established.

The only big news is the price tag for the PS3...and here the prospects for MS to close the gap to Sony became suddenly brighter. Such a price tag and price difference to the 360 outweighs the 'better technology'-argument of Sony. Together with the headstart of one year already, Sony won't be the undisputed marketleader. They will be the disputed market leader.

The lack of excitement about the new systems is also the result of premature aggressive PR strategies which go on for 18 months now and never came to rest, so it seems. Their duration and intensity topped PR hype of the past. I'm getting tired of little rubber duckies, speculations about controllers, withold information, and CG footage of games sold as gameplay. How long can someone anticipate the new Zelda game, 'fantasize' about the new Wii controller, and listen to euphemisms used on every stage by everyone?

Interesting is the analysis of the PR strategies, but even they are pretty much laid out for months. No news there either.

I'm interested in games, but way less in the hype around them. I'm also interested in politics, but to a much lesser degree in election campaign speeches and events. The lack of professional videogame journalism makes it very difficult to distinguish the two. Missing is the fun and entertainment value of PR strategies when critically evaluated and confronted with reality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://media.revolution.ign.com/arti...93/vids_1.html

She says the wii-mote and the numchuck will be packaged together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    Anyway, what do you think the big differance is going to be between Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam and Tony Hawk's Project 8? I thought about getting both, but i don't know.
    Tony Hawk's Project 8 is much like the others, though I heard it is more realistic and Downhill Jam uses the Wii's remote for gameplay. Both offer entirely different experiences. Read up on both of them and you'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    So far I find the E3 pretty disappointing and not exciting at all. Nothing new about the games, the starting holes are dug for the console race for some time now, Nintendos Wii controller still opens up a lot of Qs about gameplay, and Ns role as the supplier of a 'supplement' machine seems to be established.

The only big news is the price tag for the PS3...and here the prospects for MS to close the gap to Sony became suddenly brighter. Such a price tag and price difference to the 360 outweighs the 'better technology'-argument of Sony. Together with the headstart of one year already, Sony won't be the undisputed marketleader. They will be the disputed market leader.

The lack of excitement about the new systems is also the result of premature aggressive PR strategies which go on for 18 months now and never came to rest, so it seems. Their duration and intensity topped PR hype of the past. I'm getting tired of little rubber duckies, speculations about controllers, withold information, and CG footage of games sold as gameplay. How long can someone anticipate the new Zelda game, 'fantasize' about the new Wii controller, and listen to euphemisms used on every stage by everyone?

Interesting is the analysis of the PR strategies, but even they are pretty much laid out for months. No news there either.

I'm interested in games, but way less in the hype around them. I'm also interested in politics, but to a much lesser degree in election campaign speeches and events. The lack of professional videogame journalism makes it very difficult to distinguish the two. Missing is the fun and entertainment value of PR strategies when critically evaluated and confronted with reality.
    Not to be a dick, but it E3 a trade show. All of the above is the point of its existence. We are not the true audience. It is for the retailers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien

Not to be a dick, but it E3 a trade show. All of the above is the point of its existence. We are not the true audience. It is for the retailers.

hey you wanna get your name taken too, thats "MEDIA BRIEFING"

Why did you threaten to kick asses and take names at the E3 conference? You were just joking, right?
    No, I actually wasn't joking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God... my feet haven't recovered from the show yet.

I just wanted to post about this:

The girl on the far left(Kathy) actually won babe of show award.

Wii.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin

I think the problem is that we get fed so *much* information thanks to the internet that it's sometimes hard for some to overcome their own internal hype that they've built. Especially for those who remember CES's and such we'd read about in magazines years back. The mags were itand when gaming sites were slowly building up in the early days of the Web, the info was still a trickle.

I wasn't really surprised with Microsoft's 360 showing. I flipped through IGN's list of games and most of them I had already known or seen and those I didn't reminded me of games I've already played (that Elveon game reeked of Fable). I think Superman: The Return, F.E.A.R. (as I don't have a PC with enough oomph to run that version), Prey and Star Trek: Legacy look the most interesting to me.

As I'm not a big fan of Sony anyway, the PS3 showing didn't do anything for me other than gag on the price. A lot of the games look to be coming out for the 360 anyway. I'll give Sony props for not letting the cat out of the bag too early, following Nintendo's lead. The DualShockless controller, while better than the boomerang-toomerang-zoomerang, just seemed like a last ditch effort to keep their audience happy and to rip off a technology they deemed as "a gimmick" just to keep up with the Jones's.

What impressed me the most, and yeah it probably rings a bit of fanboyism, was Nintendo's display. They held the cards close to their chest until E3 and let people have it. Seeing the Wii in action shows a LOT of promise for the platform. I could care less if the big N is on top, just bring me fun games. The upcoming DS titles made my checking account yelp as it knows its going to be pillaged for new titles. Nintendo did it right, proved by the 4+ hour waits to see the technology. Yeah things did look a little rough, but come November and beyond things will get ironed out.

Best E3 is years, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with YoshiM for the most part. Except I wasn't excited about the 360 until I saw the Fable 2 trailer. It just might actually get me to purchase one. Or at least move it up in my "Things I must buy!" queue. By that time Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo will be Platinum Hits (Please don't uglify the 360 boxes this time, Microsoft.) and Halo 3 will be out. If Halo 3 and Fable 2 are done right this time, I will definitely consider the 360 more than I have until now. Even without HD.

I watched all three conferences, and Sony's by far was the most boring one I've ever seen. Their 2004 conference was more interesting. This was a snoozefest. And yes, I literally fell asleep during his boring PowerPoint speach. I watched it again later and nothing was interesting at all except that "gimmick" EyeToy card game, which was pretty cool I do admit. But the motion sensor in the controller just seemed like a way to say "Hey, we have it too!" And yeah, I do think they definitely panicked when they heard people ahte the boomerang and decided to stick to what they'd done before. They should have done that from the start. But bad move removing the rumble.

Does the 360 wireless controller have a rumble? I honestly don't know. But the Wiimote really is unique. Not only a rumble, but sound too? I can't wait to hear Mario picking up coins or Link shooting arrows from his bow.

Wii has always interested me since they announced it a few years ago, and after the whole "Stupid name" stuff I was actually going into this week with a fear that they had screwed up. That "Nintendo's failure" was gonna be the big focus of the Internets and web sites. But I wasn't disappointed. Their conference actually impressed me. It was all showmanship. A big celebration of video games. Demo's gallore. Reggie kicking more ass and taking more names. Nintendo making more games. There was more at this years E3 from Nintendo that I was even expecting or even wanted. Wow.. Many more Mario games. A NEW YOSHI'S ISLAND? The new Zelda and Metroid we all expected. The surprise unveiling of Smash Bros. Brawl. A Star Fox game on the DS. (I'd still settle for remakes of the originals.) It kept coming.

Even Microsoft surprised me with their conference. I watched it last night. Peter Moore may not be a Reggie Fils-Aime, but he's definitely no Sony Iwata guy. Which is a good thing. Even the Gears of War demo they started with impressed me. I will definitely get that if I get a 360. (If it's for 360 that is.) And the whole "Games for Windows" push they're finally doing. It'll basically make Windows games like Xbox games or PS2 or Cube or Wii or SNES games. All centralized in their own spot in stores with their own headers. No longer scattered with the office software and shit. About damn time. Now, if they could make it literally plug-and-play like consoles are (Place CD in PC, start game up. Off you go.) they'd have perfection.

Best E3 in a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not sure if anyone posted this yet but i just thought it was funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4In...page=1&t=t&f=b
    yes i did it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Does the 360 wireless controller have a rumble? I honestly don't know.
    You betcha! Great life on a single charge/two AA batteries too. Apparently the controller has FOUR levels of rumble? I've no idea how to change it... anyone know?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that the show is done and I've had my fill I'd like to share with all my favorite E3 stuff and basic thoughts overall.

Nintendo

Nearly everything Nintendo showed this year was an awesome surprise or kicked so much ass that it would make Reggie proud. Things that I expected from Nintendo and didn't get was, of course, launch date/price info for the Wii. I guess it would be too "out of character" for them to give the whole skinny on the Wii at one trade show. :P Bastards, we love you... jerks. lol Enough has been said about Nintendo already though, so on we go.

Microsoft

If you told me three months ago that I would be interested in an Xbox system I would have near died from hideous, uncontrolled laughter. Now, however, I'd most likely respond with "Only after I get me Wii Yarrrr!"

Honestly MS and the lineup for the 360 blew me away. This may sound strange but I really wasn't sold on the 360 until I saw a "Face Time" report on G4 that featured Live Arcade. That's when I saw Geometry(sp?) Wars, my mind pulled a - and a second later when I found myself back in control of me and my first thought was, "Next-Gen Robotron... FUCK YEAH!" That game was beutiful... near Rez gorgeous even. I was left with three words in regard of the 360: Gonna. Get. One.

N3, Gears of War, Prey, Too Human and many other games looked real good to me and since I usually have more than one system per gen, a 360 is going to be my second next gen console purchase after the Wii. Mr. Morris, I'll take you up on your suggestion sir! lol

Sony

From the glimpses of the trailers I got while my DVR was zomming through the commercial ridden G4 coverage I was actually glad I have deceided to ignore the PS3. I hadn't seen anything besides prerendered trailers. If the thing is going to launch in Nov this year shouldn't there have been some gameplay demos? Not just prerendered smoke and mirriors? Sony is going to have to get serious here and stop assuming everyone else in the world is a complete and total dumb ass. Obedient and mindless waiting to sup at their teats. :P It's not fanboyism that pisses me off when Sony is concerned, it's this BS right here.

I seriously tried to ignore PS3 stuff this E3 after the $600 bomb. But one thing infiltrated (no not Snake and MGS4, I knew about that game last year) what I'm reffering to is Assassin's Creed. I know it was only a trailer... I know it's part of the hype machine... but it looked that damn good that I had to take notice. That's pretty powerful stuff eh? Not to worry though Mr. Wallet I would never abuse you as bad as to buy a PS3 until it has a few dozon price drops. lol

Sony did deliver on God of War 2, but I knew about that one also before E3. C'mon Sony, your not a freshmen anymore. Hell even your sophomore console is nearly through it's cycle. There is no excuse for this! This is why you don't go to a kegger the night before final exams... your going to look like and ass at the party plus have a killer hang-over while taking tests all damn day. No good man, no good at all.

PSP's Every Extend Extra and Roco Loco looked fun as hell to me. I may buy the games but I'll wait for the system to come down in price somemore.

The best Sony news was stuff I already knew about and for the PS2. Namely God of War 2 and Guitar Hero 2. Both I'll buy and both I'll enjoy.

I would place Sony's showing this year at among the weakest yet @ E3's past and present... the only reason it's not "the weakest" is I heard N-Gage was there this year demoing a new handheld... and heard nothing about it beyond that they were there. Plus, does anyone rememeber the Phantom? Weak. x_x

PC

I enjoyed; Hellgate London, Half Life Ep 1 and SPORE!
    That's all I'll say and nothing more. :P

Best of Show

Wii

Font color = to urine, kinda like I wrote it in snow! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Well after digesting E3 via the web and G4, I'm thinking I will get a Wii at or near launch and an X360 when Halo 3 comes out (maybe sooner). PS3 maybe after several price drops...

Here are the 10 games I am most excited about

Halo 3 (X360)
    Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
    Guitar Hero II (PS2)
    Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
    Excite Truck (Wii)
    Every Extend Extra (PSP)
    Intellivision Lives! (DS)
    Contact (DS)

Honorable mentions:
    Bioshock (X360)
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
    Dragon Quest Swords: The Mask Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Wii)
    Earthbound 2 (GBA) if it ever comes out
    Elebits (Wii)
    Elite Beat Agents (DS)
    Final Fantasy VI (GBA)
    Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS)
    Indiana Jones (Next Gen)
    LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (Current Gen)
    LocoRoco (PSP)
    Lumines Plus (PS2)
    Okami (PS2)
    Red Steel (Wii)
    Sadness (Wii)
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii)
    Yoshi's Island 2 (DS)

It's weird this list makes me looks like a Nintendo Fanboy (tm) . I'm not really (maybe an Amiga/Atari Fanboy on bad days) as I play PS2 current gen the most these days...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Not sure if this vid ever was posted here but check out the stampede to Nintendo's booth at the start of E3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQz98jAcg8
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Add to that the following:

From Nintendo's point of view. Holy crap!
    http://e3src.nintendo.com/news/even_...ience_wii_is_/

Here's another view from a GameSpot editors POV:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profil...HM1wzr85bsMujI

Another video..
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profil...XQ2kTGo5bsMsz4
    Set to Mario World music this time.

A video of the people in line waiting set to Katamari Damacy music for some reason...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2wjeMGGPik
    And that's not even ther whole line. Poor girl. Last in line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Another video..
    Reggie, I think we're gonna need a bigger boat.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    Another video..
    Reggie, I think we're gonna need a bigger boat.
    4 1/2 minutes, just to walk from the front of the line to the end! !

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. That is totally ridiculous.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Add to that the following:

From Nintendo's point of view. Holy crap!
    http://e3src.nintendo.com/news/even_...ience_wii_is_/

Here's another view from a GameSpot editors POV:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profil...HM1wzr85bsMujI

Another video..

A video of the people in line waiting set to Katamari Damacy music for some reason...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2wjeMGGPik
    And that's not even ther whole line. Poor girl. Last in line.
    Love them or hate them, seeing those videos you have to admit Nintendo made a huge splash at E3 this year.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)