Thread: which Gameboy Legend of Zelda to play first?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default which Gameboy Legend of Zelda to play first?

I just today acquired the 4 gameboy zelda games (see the May finds thread)

In particular I got:
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

What is a good order to play them in? I know that Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons can interact with one another via password system - which would be good to do first? Is there any reason to play both Link's Awakening and Link's Awakening DX?

And finally, these are all the pre-GBA gameboy legend of zelda games, right?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would just skip the original Link's Awakening and go right to DX. Not a lot of differences, but DX has an extra mini-dungeon, etc.

As for Ages and Seasons, I've played both a million times. Ages = more puzzle oriented, Seasons = more action oriented. Just whichever you are in the mood for. I did Ages, then Seasons the first time I played through them.

Make sure to beat both and write the passwords down so you can take on the REAL enemy.

edit: Fixed the game titles! Doh!
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GameFAQs
    To enter the Secret Dungeon, you must first beat the first 3 dungeons. Go to the library and dash into the upper wall to knock down a book. Read the book and it will tell you which directions to push the gravestones. Go to the graveyard screen with 5 gravestones (from upper left corner, move cursor right 7 times and down 7 times). Push the stones in the correct order and the correct way to enter the dungeon. Make sure you are using a Color Gameboy or you cannot enter...
    I checked a FAQ on gameFAQs.com on the differences between link's awakening and the DX version and found the secret dungeon.

It says "make sure you are using a Color Gameboy or you cannot enter". So, if I'm playing on my GBA SP I can't get into the dungeon? Or is it GB Color or newer and I'll be able to enter? Can someone confirm whether you can get into the secret dungeon on a GBA?

I don't currently have a GB Color, but could pick one up if needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Quote Originally Posted by GameFAQs
    To enter the Secret Dungeon, you must first beat the first 3 dungeons. Go to the library and dash into the upper wall to knock down a book. Read the book and it will tell you which directions to push the gravestones. Go to the graveyard screen with 5 gravestones (from upper left corner, move cursor right 7 times and down 7 times). Push the stones in the correct order and the correct way to enter the dungeon. Make sure you are using a Color Gameboy or you cannot enter...
    I checked a FAQ on gameFAQs.com on the differences between link's awakening and the DX version and found the secret dungeon.

It says "make sure you are using a Color Gameboy or you cannot enter". So, if I'm playing on my GBA SP I can't get into the dungeon? Or is it GB Color or newer and I'll be able to enter? Can someone confirm whether you can get into the secret dungeon on a GBA?

I don't currently have a GB Color, but could pick one up if needed.
    Pretty sure the GBA works. I haven't had a GbC for years, but have played the secret dungeon. Also, keep in mind that the secret dungeon is about 8 minutes long and isn't all that special.

The rest of the game is top notch, though.

PS- If for some reason it didn't work, you could always pop it in a GBC and do the dungeon, and switch back. I don't think that'll be necessary though.
    -Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Link's Awakening DX WILL work with the GBC, GBA, GBASP, and the GBPlayer
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right on. Thanks guys.

I just noticed if you put Zelda DX in a Super Gameboy you get a special border - It's pretty nice too, probably the best Super Gameboy Border I've ever seen.

I'm surprised they'd include include a SGB border because:
    (1) it wasn't in the original,
    (2) the game was designed to push gameboy color units, and the Super Gameboy is just a normal gameboy (not color compatible), and
    (3) the game was released in 1998, pretty much at the absolute end of the SNES lifespan, so where's the incentive for SGB support?

Way to go Nintendo! Super Gameboy borders are awesome! I wish GB Player supported these.

edit: Here is a picture of the SGB border:

It doesn't look so washed out on an actual television (at least it doesn't seem to)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd personally do it in the order of:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

While skipping Link's Awakening DX completely. The only reason I suggest this order is because that's the order in which I played them, and I haven't looked back.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    Also, keep in mind that the secret dungeon is about 8 minutes long and isn't all that special.
    The hell it's not. When you beat it, you get a choice between the red (doubles power) or blue (doubles health) tunic. I make it a point to go for the red tunic as soon as I possibly can, which is basically like an always-on Piece of Power (except when you hit an enemy and kill it, it doesn't slide as far as it does with a Piece of Power, but this is cosmetic). Plus, you can pick up a Piece of Power on top of that. It's also great once you've finished the seashell game and gotten the L-2 sword.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd play "Link's Awakening" first

Because i find it to be a better game than "Seasons" (which i also own).

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LocalH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    Also, keep in mind that the secret dungeon is about 8 minutes long and isn't all that special.
    The hell it's not. When you beat it, you get a choice between the red (doubles power) or blue (doubles health) tunic. I make it a point to go for the red tunic as soon as I possibly can, which is basically like an always-on Piece of Power (except when you hit an enemy and kill it, it doesn't slide as far as it does with a Piece of Power, but this is cosmetic). Plus, you can pick up a Piece of Power on top of that. It's also great once you've finished the seashell game and gotten the L-2 sword.
    Oh yeah.. hehe. Anyway, the message remains: Play DX first, then pick Ages for puzzles, or Seasons for action.
    -Mark

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Note: if you play Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons on a GBA instead of a GBC, you will also have special rings available to you in one of the shops. I can't remember exactly which shop and where, but I believe each game has a special GBA ring.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Note: if you play Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons on a GBA instead of a GBC, you will also have special rings available to you in one of the shops. I can't remember exactly which shop and where, but I believe each game has a special GBA ring.
    Yeah, I remember in Ages it's in the center town, over by the east exit. Next to the target practice game in the past. The GBA Time ring in the Ages game, Nature ring in Seasons.

I don't think they do anything, though.

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that Capcom developed these Zelda games, and I consider them "up there" with the rest of 'em. Left much more of an impression than Minish Cap, in my opinion.
    -Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say go with Link's Awakening DX since it was the first GB Zelda (OK, minus the DX part, but you get the idea). As for after that, play which ever you want next. This thread reminds me, I still haven't opend up my sealed copies of Ages/Seasons. I think it's been. 4 years now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES
    ...This thread reminds me, I still haven't opend up my sealed copies of Ages/Seasons. I think it's been. 4 years now.
    Do you plan on opening them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES
    ...This thread reminds me, I still haven't opend up my sealed copies of Ages/Seasons. I think it's been. 4 years now.
    Do you plan on opening them?
    Ha, sure why not? I mean, I plan to get around to them. It's just I haven't even beaten, started my Link's Awakening DX yet. I'm waaaaaay behind on my games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Link's Awakening DX and both Oracle games, none of which I've played through yet. I'm planning to start with DX.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started with Zelda DX.

It's kind of difficult so far! (then again I always find zelda games hard with only 3 hearts)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that any order would be fine, just don't put DX in between the oracles games. Then you might look like a weirdo
    Viva la raza, y los putos que quieran pedo, que se metan el pinche dedo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I only own "The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons" and it's pretty fun. I've spent a few hours on it from road trips and flights and is quite entertaining with burning time. It's worth playing if you want to put time into a game.

I've been wanting to get "The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages" too but waiting to find it under $10 at the pawn shops and all with a case. I lack a lot of game cases for portable systems so I need to start getting games with them as well instead of having to later buy a bulk of cases.

But anyways, both of those are supposed to be similar gameplay but different storylines somehow. But if you plan on playing all of these games then I guess it doesn't really matter what order you play. If you look at release dates, it may be best to play the earliest release up to the newest title. Do what you want best and just game on.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]