Thread: 32X power displayed...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I don't know but after this post I'm doing a search and see if bye chance someone has indeed already made some new games for it.Prob. not though as I am sure someone would have already posted about it. Well actually I never even new that people were making new Atari carts until about a year ago, same with the Sega CD. I don't think however that they will have to use the CD chips to access the 32X directly, would they?
    I really don't know as I'm not that adept with modding and such.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't read through this entire topic, but I believe I know the reason no released 32X games looked this good. The demo was created with the entire focus on the graphics. Therefore, the programmer(s) could focus the 32X's entire power on graphics alone, leaving out all sound and A.I. Add in sound and A.I. and you have a lot less space for graphical processing power, on cartridge especially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon
    The one thing I always thought the 32X needed is not more 3D intensive games, but more 2D intensive games. In short, the 32X needed some:

S

N

K
    ...or Capcom. I've heard the rumor that a Super Street Fighter II Turbo 32X cart was in the pipeline (how far it got from just being on paper...who knows?).

As for the 3D presentation: it is cool, but it just sort of adds to the 32X's legacy of "coulda, shoulda, woulda" (actually...I'd go so far as to say Sega's legacy). I have a special place in my heart for it, but it is just another example of how horribly timed the entire thing was. I wonder what the time difference was between this video being shown off to developers and Saturn dev kits being shipped out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really nifty to watch!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn
    I'm surprised, given the amount of programers making new games and prototypes for the old systems like the 2600 and Even for the Sega CD, that someone hasn't been unlocking the full potential for the 32X. And making new games accordingly.
    I'm FACINATED with the possibility of a CD-based game that would fully utilize the 32x hardware, the Genny processors, the extra 16-bit CPU in the Sega CD, AND the special scaling/rotation chip in the Sega CD. Would that even be possible? Are all the functions of the 32x even available to a CD-based game? I don't see why not, but I'm no hardware expert. None of the 32xCD games push the 32x hardwrae to any extent whatsoever. A game that utilized ALL those processors might be able to duplicate (at least to some extent) Saturn and PSone games. It sounds like a programming nightmare, though. The two CPU's from the 32x, the two CPU's from the Genny and Sega CD, the extra processors from the Genny and Sega CD... you get the picture. That sounds like some damned difficult and tricky programming.

A 32xCD format would certainly be the cheapest way to produce a new game, but how many active enthusiasts actually own a 32x AND a Sega CD?

That being said, I'd buy any and all homebrew 32x games in a heartbeat, regardless of the format (or even the cost?)
    I feel the same way. I'd love to see the possible potential realized with a 32x Sega CD combo. I'd assume that most people with Sega CDs probably have a 32X as well since they're dirt cheap. As for why more people didn't take advantage of it, I'd assume that timing became an issue between all of the processors. After all, all of the current 32X CD games are FMV games and pretty much just stream data most of the time.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seriously. Just imagine Samurai Shodown II on the 32X. They WERE releasing games on the SNES, Genesis, and Sega-CD so I see no reason why they couldn't just bring a wave of titles over on the 32X.

It would have been a match made in heaven. They could have done some 32X-CD releases too. Man that would have been great.
    True!! Considering the Genny+CD+32x combo was way more powerful than a Neo Geo, Neo ports could have been wonderful, and true to the pixel.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Seriously. Just imagine Samurai Shodown II on the 32X. They WERE releasing games on the SNES, Genesis, and Sega-CD so I see no reason why they couldn't just bring a wave of titles over on the 32X.

It would have been a match made in heaven. They could have done some 32X-CD releases too. Man that would have been great.
    True!! Considering the Genny+CD+32x combo was way more powerful than a Neo Geo, Neo ports could have been wonderful, and true to the pixel.

-Rob
    I'd love to agree with you, but there's still the issue of memory to deal with. There's no doubt the 32x is more powerful than the Neo-Geo and the Genny/Sega CD is just extra icing (more than icing, really... the Neo Geo doesn't have the Sega CD's scaling & rotation chip) but the Neo has one distinct advantage over several seemingly better consoles... lots of memory!

Some of those Neo-Geo carts are over 500 megs. No 32x carts were even a tenth that size and the Sega CD has a limited amount of RAM to work with. A game could be thousands of megs in size but only a small part of it could be used for actual gameplay given the limitations of the system's RAM.

Then again, I may not know what the hell I'm talking about. I once asked a group of Neo-Geo owners if the Sega CD/Genny combo was more powerful than the Neo Geo. They grudgingly conceded that it was... to a point. The Sega was more powerful hardware with scaling, rotation, and basic polygon manipulation and could do certain things that the Neo couldn't BUT that the limited amount of RAM in the Sega (and the smaller color palete) meant that the Sega CD would never be able to faithfully duplicate a big Neo Geo cart. Makes sense to me.

I'd have liked to see the 32xCD give Virtua Fighter 2 a try or maybe even Daytona USA... it was rumored to be under consideration.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Summer Soldier

Neat Vid!
    I've got a 32X, and a third party cable, and one loose Virtua Racing (I think) cart that I found at an EBGames once. I've never been able to successfully get it all to work :/
    I'll put more effort into it if I happen across more games.
    In a land beyond sight...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFGiant
    Neat Vid!
    I've got a 32X, and a third party cable, and one loose Virtua Racing (I think) cart that I found at an EBGames once. I've never been able to successfully get it all to work :/
    I'll put more effort into it if I happen across more games.
    Seems like your missing a power supply?

It wont work if you just put it in the cart slot, it needs power..

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd love to agree with you, but there's still the issue of memory to deal with. There's no doubt the 32x is more powerful than the Neo-Geo and the Genny/Sega CD is just extra icing (more than icing, really... the Neo Geo doesn't have the Sega CD's scaling & rotation chip) but the Neo has one distinct advantage over several seemingly better consoles... lots of memory!

Some of those Neo-Geo carts are over 500 megs. No 32x carts were even a tenth that size and the Sega CD has a limited amount of RAM to work with. A game could be thousands of megs in size but only a small part of it could be used for actual gameplay given the limitations of the system's RAM.

Then again, I may not know what the hell I'm talking about. I once asked a group of Neo-Geo owners if the Sega CD/Genny combo was more powerful than the Neo Geo. They grudgingly conceded that it was... to a point. The Sega was more powerful hardware with scaling, rotation, and basic polygon manipulation and could do certain things that the Neo couldn't BUT that the limited amount of RAM in the Sega (and the smaller color palete) meant that the Sega CD would never be able to faithfully duplicate a big Neo Geo cart. Makes sense to me.

I'd have liked to see the 32xCD give Virtua Fighter 2 a try or maybe even Daytona USA... it was rumored to be under consideration.
    Didn't the SCD have a RAM cart? And using a 32Xcd, the size factor isn't an issue. On top of this, if it were a 32X cart, ram can always be added to the cart itself. Also, 500Mb=62.5MB, which a CD can hold more than ten times that. Of course, the Ne did come out with a CD rom attachment, but they were mostly cart converts.

On top of this, I believe the Neo's large cart size, memory-wise, was due to sloppy programming. Some of those games definitely did not need to be that big, and on many other game systems programmers had to be very smart to use every line of code as efficiently as possible. I think the Neo programmers said "screw it, we've got the space." Of course, I've never seen Neo code before, so I can't say for sure, but it sure makes a lot of sense looking at some of the games that didn't really seem that taxing memory wise (some games just didn't have that much depth to warrant it).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick

Didn't the SCD have a RAM cart? And using a 32Xcd, the size factor isn't an issue. On top of this, if it were a 32X cart, ram can always be added to the cart itself. Also, 500Mb=62.5MB, which a CD can hold more than ten times that. Of course, the Ne did come out with a CD rom attachment, but they were mostly cart converts.

On top of this, I believe the Neo's large cart size, memory-wise, was due to sloppy programming. Some of those games definitely did not need to be that big, and on many other game systems programmers had to be very smart to use every line of code as efficiently as possible. I think the Neo programmers said "screw it, we've got the space." Of course, I've never seen Neo code before, so I can't say for sure, but it sure makes a lot of sense looking at some of the games that didn't really seem that taxing memory wise (some games just didn't have that much depth to warrant it).

-Rob
    The RAM cart for the Sega CD was only for *game saves* (unlike the RAM cart for the SATURN that could be used for gameplay like in X-Men vs Street Fighter, Dungeons & Dragons Collections, etc.)

It doesn't matter how much data a CD can hold if the console can't access it all at the same time. 2-D fighting games are very memory-intensive with all the various animations that must be held in the system RAM for immediate access. Even if you never see 9/10's of those animations, they still have to be loaded into the system RAM.

Have you played the Sega CD version of Fatal Fury Special? How about the original Mortal Kombat? Both are missing lots of frames of animation and MK pauses regularly to load more data.

The Neo Geo CD has a huge amount of RAM (something like 56 Mbit) and can take over a minute to load a level for a fighting game. And it still might be missing frames of animation.

Sega CD Specs...

RAM:
    * 6 Mbit Main RAM
    * 512 Kbit PCM Waveform Memory
    * 128 Kbit CD-ROM data cache memory
    * 64 Kbit Internal Backup RAM

Even the much faster PSone and its 2 megs of RAM couldn't do decent ports of many Neo Geo games. The vaulted Saturn had to resort to the RAM cart for the King of Fighters games and they STILL aren't arcade-perfect.

X-Men vs Street Fighter for the PSone completely ditched the double-team option so popular in the arcade version... the RAM couldn't hold the information for four characters at once. The Saturn could do it but it was working with over 6 megs with its internal memory combined with the required RAM cart and a few animations were still chopped.

The character Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat can change into any (almost?) character in the game. The PSone and Saturn ports of MK3 freeze the action when you morph into another character. The systems have to load the new character's animations from the CD... and then re-load Shang's animations when the timer runs out. The Genesis, SNES, and N64 versions of the various MK games don't have the loading problems but they have fewer frames of animation than the originals, plus the graphics from the MK games aren't nearly as detailed as those in Last Blade 2 or Mark of the Wolves.

My point is that those huge carts (no matter how sloppy the programming) give the Neo Geo a big advantage over seemingly more powerful consoles when it comes to the 2-D fighting genre. The Neo Geo can't do polygons and falls way behind the SNES and Sega CD in many hardware-related respects but it can do excellent and fluid 2-D with its huge carts. It wasn't until the Dreamcast that Neo Geo games were ported correctly... and some purists argue that the DC games STILL aren't arcade-perfect.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its too bad Sega starts a huge project then abandons it for the Saturn.I mean the 32X could have been great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow I thought I was the only freak who dreamed of a crazy 32X/Sega CD/RAM cart combo game. If I was a genious and could make games on my own I would make some crazy awesome RPG that can only be played with the above combo of parts, using its combined full potential....
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan
    its too bad Sega starts a huge project then abandons it for the Saturn.I mean the 32X could have been great
    Not as great as the Saturn was and positivile not as greaqt as the Saturn *COULD HAVE* been.

I guess I still don't see what's so impressive about the effects used in this demo. Play stuff like Metal Head, Shadow Squadron or Virtua Fighter and you'll see the same stuff. If we're only talking about visuals, I think Kolibri looks much better than any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000
    Wow I thought I was the only freak who dreamed of a crazy 32X/Sega CD/RAM cart combo game. If I was a genious and could make games on my own I would make some crazy awesome RPG that can only be played with the above combo of parts, using its combined full potential....
    The Sega CD "RAM cart" is actually just a backup cartridge for storing extra save games, it doesn't give the system extra RAM for loading gamedata.

What I'd like to see some homebrewer do is access the SVP-1 chip in the Genesis version of Virtua Racing through a Sega CD game as is supposed to be possible. The results might not be as impressive as tapping the 32X (one SH-1 compared to two SH2+sundry co-chips), but it would be such an interesting feat.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    Um, blimey!

I didn't realise the 32X could do things like that. Very impressive. Now why wasn't that power used?
    Becuse the Saturn was being made, more people whatid to work on the Saturn then the 32X.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I still think the SNES had un tapped power, heck we even had a long thread about it a while back.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool video. At times I could swear that I was watching an unrealeased version of Terminal Velocity. Some of the textures they used for the terrain and the flyby really reminds me of Terminal Velocity.

/runs off and looks for shareware copy of Terminal Velocity

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the 32X was definately Sega's "bastard child", sad, as the console really had the potential to du much, much, more. As someone stated earlier. If someone really wanted to, they could do awesome things using the SH2's the Genesis, and the Sega CD's to their fullest simultaneously. I was excited when a Castlevania game was announced, and elated when Super Street Fighter II Turbo was announced.

I alwasy thought the 32X could do a very respectable port of Street Fighter Alpha 3, although it would no doubt be missing some animation.

Too bad the 32X died so quickly. At least the Saturn delivered on some great games, especially if you're willing to import.