Default Air Raid Cart on the Bay

Check this auction out.

Air Raid

I wonder what it will go for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$1225 already...I'm watching this one. It's already out of my price range, but I say it'd probably get 2 1/2 times that ($3000-$3500) by the finish. Also, I noted that insurance is optional...I wonder if the buyer's going to be smart enough to get insurance on it.
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mb7241
    I wonder if the buyer's going to be smart enough to get insurance on it.
    I think the seller is going to pay for insurance (as well as shipping) as stated in his auction. That would be what I would do too. If a game is going to go for $3,000, you might as well pay to ship the damn thing.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can you tell that this is the real deal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

$1225 already...I'm watching this one. It's already out of my price range, but I say it'd probably get 2 1/2 times that ($3000-$3500) by the finish. Also, I noted that insurance is optional...I wonder if the buyer's going to be smart enough to get insurance on it.
    Most Atari collectors are now uncertain as to the orgin of this one. I myself, think it is an overseas Brazil cart. If this turns out to be true the price should drop quite a bit. There is also the possiblity that many more will turn up once the people south of the border catch wind of this auction. Its a unique case and thus would not have been worth producing without a larger print run.

So in short. I don't think it will break $2000 and future Air Raids should get less and less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    Most Atari collectors are now uncertain as to the orgin of this one. I myself, think it is an overseas Brazil cart. If this turns out to be true the price should drop quite a bit. There is also the possiblity that many more will turn up once the people south of the border catch wind of this auction. Its a unique case and thus would not have been worth producing without a larger print run.

So in short. I don't think it will break $2000 and future Air Raids should get less and less.
    And to make matters worse (from what I understand), is that people probably could tell you if it was a Brazillian pirate cart simply by opening the cart up. The only problem is that the screw to open the cart up is underneath the label, and trying to look inside would damage the label significantly. Not only that, not too many people would pay $2,000+ for a cart and open it up to see that it's only worth $2.
    There is supposed to be a box for it, which could prove that the game is legit, but the guy that claims to have the box is apparently "too busy" to check. Or something like that...
    There are threads and threads about this stuff over at AtariAge. Good reads, they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

And to make matters worse (from what I understand), is that people probably could tell you if it was a Brazillian pirate cart simply by opening the cart up. The only problem is that the screw to open the cart up is underneath the label, and trying to look inside would damage the label significantly. Not only that, not too many people would pay $2,000+ for a cart and open it up to see that it's only worth $2.
    There is supposed to be a box for it, which could prove that the game is legit, but the guy that claims to have the box is apparently "too busy" to check. Or something like that...
    There are threads and threads about this stuff over at AtariAge. Good reads, they are.
    If this was a stockit would get my vote for the "sell short" option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So how many have been found in Brazil then? (the blue handlebar version, that is, not the other cart with the same name)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

So how many have been found in Brazil then? (the blue handlebar version, that is, not the other cart with the same name)
    I don't know. I know all the ones found in the US were found in the southern states ie Flordia. We should ask the collectors from Brazil on this board what they think.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mb7241
    You could buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8284216498

It's much cheaper

BTW personally i think the $3K days for this cart are over. More and more people are starting to believe this is not an original NTSC release but some brazilian pirate. If i remember correctly, some evidence supporting this claim was the number of scanlines, which is very close to the number of scanlines for PAL-M (brazilian standard)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought this comment in the thread that got locked at AA was quite interesting:

Back to Air Raid. The scan line count of this rom is really high at 290. It's in that grey area between the usual NTSC count of 262 and the usual PAL count of 312. It has an even count of lines so it would be in color on a PAL tv. One good point though that Thomas Jentzsch (I think) made was that the grass is green and the sky is blue on a NTSC tv. The colors would be different on a PAL or PAL-M tv. It just makes sense that the would try and have a blue sky and green grass. That coupled with all the Air Raids seem to be turning up in the States makes me believe this is a NTSC cart, just poorly programmed (or hacked from Space Jockey)."
    We all know there's going to be no general consensus until it can be proved one way or the other, but from what I've read, I tend to agree with this poster.
    I'd be more likely to believe the "South American pirate" theory if a single copy could be confirmed as being found down there. As it is, all known copies (what, 5 or 6 now?) have been found in the US.

Then again, I'm a Sega collector - what do I know?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    I thought this comment in the thread that got locked at AA was quite interesting:

Back to Air Raid. The scan line count of this rom is really high at 290. It's in that grey area between the usual NTSC count of 262 and the usual PAL count of 312. It has an even count of lines so it would be in color on a PAL tv. One good point though that Thomas Jentzsch (I think) made was that the grass is green and the sky is blue on a NTSC tv. The colors would be different on a PAL or PAL-M tv. It just makes sense that the would try and have a blue sky and green grass. That coupled with all the Air Raids seem to be turning up in the States makes me believe this is a NTSC cart, just poorly programmed (or hacked from Space Jockey)."
    We all know there's going to be no general consensus until it can be proved one way or the other, but from what I've read, I tend to agree with this poster.
    I'd be more likely to believe the "South American pirate" theory if a single copy could be confirmed as being found down there. As it is, all known copies (what, 5 or 6 now?) have been found in the US.

Then again, I'm a Sega collector - what do I know?
    I'm a sega collector myself as well and I would try to buy this cart but found same problem I have with the NWC gold cart:it is damn ugly to look at when you put it on a shelf!

BTW Anagrama:I asked some fellow collectors and was confirmed that last darxide on ebay went for 1000 GBP...man ..that hurts,especially considering is the only game I need to complete my collection.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like it's losing its value, is there anyway to prove the origin of this game by the time the new guide hits?
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Looks like it's losing its value, is there anyway to prove the origin of this game by the time the new guide hits?
    The new owner claims he will answer that once and for all. I don't think it matters. Once people lose interest you can't get them back. I think the days of it being the most expensive 2600 game are over with.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-Conector-BRA...QQcmdZViewItem

Call me crazy but isn't air raid's artwork and art layout especially (ie. just an outer space scene with no explanation, logo/graphics, copyright, etc) similar to this brazilian nes item? I can see where the thought that air raid is brazilian might be bang on (although I will be the first to admit I know nothing about this area of collecting).

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-Conector-BRA...QQcmdZViewItem

Call me crazy but isn't air raid's artwork and art layout especially (ie. just an outer space scene with no explanation, logo/graphics, copyright, etc) similar to this brazilian nes item? I can see where the thought that air raid is brazilian might be bang on (although I will be the first to admit I know nothing about this area of collecting).