Thread: No rumble feature for PS3? You've got to be kidding me!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default No rumble feature for PS3? You've got to be kidding me!!!

I know some people feel that rumble is a joke anyways, but man, this has me super bummed out. To me this is much more depressing than the high price, the low availability, and the stripped down $499 version.

Rumble is something that I've thought was just a "given" for all consoles released after the N64. I know Sony lost their lawsuit, but they still could "Pay that man his money!", and still get rumble feature in the PS3. To not have it, is a step backwards. I mean, I'm going to be playing Xbox 360 games, enjoying the nice rumble, and then I'm going to play the same game on the PS3 with no rumble? WTF????

Tell me this is all a joke and that Sony will pay that man his money and get the damn Rumble back. Why would they call it a Dual Shock, if it doesn't have any rumble? You've got to be freaking kidding me. Man...... I'm still getting one, because I'm going to need a Blu Ray player and this is going to be the cheapest way to get a Blu Ray player before 2008, but man, this is quite depressing to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I hate the Rumble. I ALWAYS turn it off.

The first game that used the Rumble, Starfox 64, actually used it well. It made sense. The chasis of your ship rattles when you're rocked by fire or feel the shock of a bomb or something like that. It actually helped immerse the gamer in the game.

Every single game since Starfox 64 has not used the Rumble well. I get hit by a gun and my controller rumbles. How does that make any sense? It hasn't improved my gameplay experience in even the slightest bit, and I'm sorry this feature wasn't dumped sooner.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Dude, you know you're my dog and whatnot, but how many PS3 threads are you going to start?

Chris

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Has it even been confirmed that there is no rumble? From what I gathered during the lawsuit against Sony the reason they were being sued was because they used two weights for vibration, while Nintendo never had to deal with that because they always used one. Microsoft did the smart thing and just paid the company so they could continue to use two.

All I see is that Sony said they made the controller lighter. If they removed one weight and put the other in the middle of the controller they'd be far lighter because not only are you losing one weight, you're making the other smaller.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Dude, you know you're my dog and whatnot, but how many PS3 threads are you going to start?

Chris

Yeah, I know. I got a little crazy there for a minute, but hey, this is some shocking news, and I could post it in the general e3 thread, but then I don't think it will get the attention it deserves. It needs it's own headline, because this is the most shocking thing that I have learned today from all the info that has filtered out of Sony's press conference.

Here is what Phil Harrison said about the lack of rumble support: "rumble was last generation, movement is this generation."

Of course, what he's not saying is that the reason they don't have rumble is because they lost their lawsuit, and they dont' want to not only pay Immersion damages, but then to also have to pay them to license the technology, so instead they are going to pretend like they really don't want rumble anyways. And of course, he's also not saying that they abosolutely stole Nintendo's idea and put it in there at the last second, with only one game actually using it (Warhawk).

Say what you guys will about rumble, that it's overused, not effective, a joke....whatever. When it's used correctly, it adds a tremendous amount of immersion to the game, and that is what it's all about. Hell rumble adds to the gameplay, because in some games, the rumble lets you know that you've been hit by some bullets, so it actually helps you in gameplay. Try playing Call of Duty 2 without the rumble. Try playing Burnout Revenge without the rumble. It just isn't the same experience.

It's very depresing to me that there will be no rumble with the PS3 despite what Sony is saying or what the fanboys are saying, it's a step backwards, plain and simple. If you want to get rid of rumble fine, but at least replace it with some controller based force feedback, now that would be revolutionary!

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

When the rumble feature first came out on Starfox I really didnt like it but I eventually got used to it and now I expect it in every game. I just dont understand this decision by Sony. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First time I played a rumble game was when I got my new PS2 and played Gauntlet. It took me a little while to get used to it, but, after that, it really didn't matter to me one way or the other.

Besides that, it was fun putting it on some wood and listening to the sounds.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It can go both ways. In racing games when your crashing or bumping into other cars, fine, but when your taking a tight corner the Rumble just kind of gets annoying. I love the Rumble in Silent Hill though because it Rumbles when your health is real low, like a heart beat. Still are creative ways to use the Rumble.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    Personally, I hate the Rumble. I ALWAYS turn it off.
    Agreed. The PS3 just jumped up a few notches in my estimation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Me three. It just makes my hands go numb. I love the 360's ability to shut it off on the console so I don't have to configure every game to not vibrate. It also wastes battery life in wireless controllers.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank God that they took it away. I hated rumble built into the controller. The N64 and Dreamcast did it properly by at least making it a stand alone. The feature would have been great if it was used in a way that hit strengths were variable in a given game, but for most games the rumble was the same in every situation, with no hard or soft.

The only game that I've ever played where you HAD to have rumble was Ocarina Of Time, if you wanted 100% completion on your file.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're just swapping one stolen Nintendo technology for another.

They stole rumble, and now they're stealing the motion-sensing idea, so they're doing away with rumble.

Much as I believe the PS3 will (price and Sony marketing BS aside) kick all kinds of ass, I wish they'd be original once in awhile.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lets keep all the PS3 talk to one thread. Anthony1, you have a great thread started only a few posts below this one. I encourage you to repost your thoughts there.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85185

Locked due to too many PS3 threads.
    #vbender