Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread (OUT NOW!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never played a metal gear game myself, but I think the problem with Snake is that he is too realistic of a character, while all the other characters are from fantasy settings. Something like Sonic would be much less out of place.

It doesn't really bother me, I would just rather see a different character instead (or hopefully in addition to).
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    Twenty bucks says if you actually use the remote with this it sucks. (It is compatible with GC controller)
    They already said they arn't using the wii controller.
    They said they probably won't use it to make you point at the screen. It's still uncertain how the game will control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why has noone thought of a Soul Calibur character yet? we had Link in SC, so why not some SC character (that's a fighting game after all) in SSBB

some of the chars i'd like to see

Nintendo:
    all the ones available in any Mario Party or Mario Sports game but not in SSB

Non-Nintendo:
    some Belmont (come on, a whip? )
    Donald Duck as Phantomias (or maybe Supergoof? )
    Bomberman
    Mega-Man
    Pac-Man (or Ms. Pac-Man)
    Mr. Driller
    Jill Valentine
    Arthur (of the Ghosts n Goblins series)
    some SF character (Chun Li please... )
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't interested in this at all... until i saw the trailer. Wow! Looks great and reminds me how much fun the N64 game was. Snake is an awesome addition. Loving the Uematsu music, i love that classical style of music underneath crazy action. It would be awesome to add Sonic but then i'd want Tails etc and i wouldn't want this to turn into a Sonic game, the ability to go SuperSonic would be cool though.
    As for other characters, well, I doubt it but whoever mentioned Bomberman, thats a winner right there, Pac-Man would be good also. I don't think they should overdo it on non-Nintendo characters but a few, maybe a max of 5 would be awesome. A kind of "greatest hits" of other characters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heck if Snake's in it... why not Ryu? :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see Viewtiful Joe and somebody from Resident Evil. And as long as we are tossing around Sega characters, Ulala would be fun too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm extremely excited about this. I downloaded the trailer yesterday, and I've watched it at least 10 times until now (the music is awesome!). I know Uematsu wrote the music for the trailer, but is there any hinting on whether he is writing the music for the game itself?

Anyway, the addition of Snake is unexpected, but definitely welcome. I was pleasantly surprised to see old Pit there as well! It would definitely be nice to see some other classic characters join in on the Smash mayhem.

Some characters I would like to see:

Arthur (Ghouls and Ghosts - and maybe throw in Firebrand as well while they're at it )
    Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
    Kefka (Final Fantasy 6 )
    Chrono and Magus (Chrono Trigger)
    Replace Young Link with Cel-shaded Link (Zelda)
    Captain Olimar (Pikmin)
    Ryu (Street Fighter)

Bring it on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus
    Replace Young Link with Cel-shaded Link (Zelda)
    Yes!

For what it's worth, I doubt they'll go crazy with the external licensing. Snake made it because Kojima wanted it bad enough to go to Nintendo himself to make it happen. As companies, Konami, Capcom, and Sega probably aren't making the same moves.

And this is probably for the best. While adding characters like Cloud, Arthur, Ryu, the Belmonts and the like would certainly be welcome fan service, it may become too weighty unless Nintendo just says, screw it, and blossoms the roster to like 40 fighters.

But it would be logical to bring in Sega's big franchise (Sonic) into the fold for the sake of fan service, if nothing else. He'd also fit quite well in the games look and feel.

Ultimately, if you were to ask any SSB:M players what character they'd most like to add to the series, from any source, Sonic will come in number #1 (since Nintendo is doing their write-in campaign, we may just find out if that's true or not) so it would make sense for Nintendo to go out and recruit/license that IP for the game. I don't know if the same can be said for the other IPs mentioned here.

EDIT: Another point is Nintendo is in bed with Sega and Hudson pretty deep over the Virtual Console thing. Maybe Bomberman or Bonk could also reasonably be added to the game as well? Perhaps Hudson is even pushing for this to get their IPs back on the map to revitalize franchises?
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    Twenty bucks says if you actually use the remote with this it sucks. (It is compatible with GC controller)
    They already said they arn't using the wii controller.
    They said they probably won't use it to make you point at the screen. It's still uncertain how the game will control.
    Actually, they specifically stated they'd be using the tried and true control scheme (i think the phrase "if it ain't broke..." came up), and that the game will be completely compatible with the existing cube controllers.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon
    I have never played a metal gear game myself, but I think the problem with Snake is that he is too realistic of a character, while all the other characters are from fantasy settings. Something like Sonic would be much less out of place.

It doesn't really bother me, I would just rather see a different character instead (or hopefully in addition to).
    I thought that too, but, eh, no big deal. He can go hang out with Captain Falcon and the Fire Emblem charcaters and have a beer or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its cool that they added meta-knight. i'd rather see king dedede though. mega man and zero would be awesome additions. YO NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE ADD LITTLE MAC TO YOUR GODDAMN GAME!!!!!! AND ANYONE ELSE FROM PUNCH-OUT WOULD BE GOOD TOO. ITS A FREAKING FIGHTING GAME. i think little mac's a very strong possibility since they put him in gamecube's fightnight. i mean, they put him in that, why not a game he's supposed to be in?? and how bout paper mario?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They said it would be compatible with the gamecube controllers, but they practically have to make it controllable with the new controller or maybe the "classic" controller, because not everyone already owns a gamecube and four controllers.

They should make the game use 4 gamecube and 4 wii controllers for 8 player mode.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whoa, that's awesome! ireally want to see banjo and kazooie or conker in a SSB game, but seeing as rare was bought by microsoft i doubt that will happen.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fierce Diety Link needs to make an appearance =(

or how about the Cheetahmen and Bio FOrce Ape =O da da da

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon

The plot of Metal Gear Solid is pretty out there. Clones, the Patriots, Psycho Mantis, giant mechs. I don't think it's that much more realistic than Samus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The way I see things, Nintendo's been working on partnerships like this for years. From Capcom's help with the Zelda oracles games, to Namco's work on Mario Kart Arcade, to Hudson's work on the Mario Party games, and you could maybe even go so far as to mention all the EA games that Mario and co. have been showing up in. And, hey, let's not forget Konami's work on Mario DDR. My co-worker and I were talking about this last week, and actually mentioned Snake as being a possibility for the game. I feel like Nintendo's been gunning for cross-overs like this for such a long time, and now that they're friends with everyone, it's going to give them the advantage that they've been lacking for years. It's easy to sell a game based on ONE recognizable franchise...But imagine how much easier it is to sell to the fans of MANY recognizable franchises.

I don't think Sonic is much of a stretch, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge roster, like that of marvel vs. capcom 2.

It's certainly exciting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio
    My co-worker and I were talking about this last week, and actually mentioned Snake as being a possibility for the game. I feel like Nintendo's been gunning for cross-overs like this for such a long time, and now that they're friends with everyone, it's going to give them the advantage that they've been lacking for years.
    Hideo Kojima requested that Snake appear in Super Smash Brothers Melee.... but that request was kindly denied. So this is more of Nintendo having a hit franchise (have you seen the competitions for SSB:M ?!!?) and others jumping on board. Not that I mean that as Kojima is just trying to get a cut of the pie, as that's not my intent. I believe Kojima is a wonderful video game director that, like the Katamari creator, is stuck due to having such a large creation.

Although Kojima has mentioned that this is his last Metal Gear Solid as top dog. Many rumors place him as saying that he would like to create something new for a Nintendo console. Here's a salute to all the dreamers. Kojima, Miyamoto, Wright, Carmack, Molyneaux, and the rest of you sons-a-bitches that make this hobby so entertaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    The plot of Metal Gear Solid is pretty out there. Clones, the Patriots, Psycho Mantis, giant mechs. I don't think it's that much more realistic than Samus.
    Yeah, I was watching my friend play a metal gear game tonight and it was much wierder than I realized. But still, all his weapons seem to be just guns and stuff. I dont know. I doesnt really bother me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think birdo has to be in there. she can shoot eggs and fireballs out of her mouth and shit. and i think its safe to say that olimar will be in the game.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have high hopes for what Snake will bring to the series, namely more third party characters. Let's face it, SSB is less of a fighting game and more a celebration of Nintendo's history. A bunch of third party characters either in this one or the inevitable sequel can easily turn it into a celebration of gaming in general.

Anyone else excited about the "more robust" single player adventure? I know Melee is all about the 4 player free for alls, but I liked trudging through adventure mode. It was nostalgic. I'm looking forward to see what more development time can bring.

Of course, that subtle warning the director gave about the possibly onle supporting one on one fights is not something I'm happy with. Surely they have the time to implement a full online mode properly, but I'd imagine most of us who love the game as much as I do would take a broken free for all over nothing. *crosses fingers*
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com