Thread: Wow, the US Saturn turns 11 today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256
    Happy birthday Saturn!

I had to play my favorate saturn game today in memory:

truth be told I hated the saturn, but it did have about 4 games that I really enjoyed .castlevania ,guardian heroes and um....err uh
    err...

um...

well..HAPPY 11TH ANYWAYS!!!

Well, at least you have the Saturn where it belongs, on top of the Nintendos! Aww yeah!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Well, at least you have the Saturn where it belongs, on top of the Nintendos! Aww yeah!
    yeah, for the last 3 years it was shoved under a non-working power pad ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if you wanna sell your Saturn cheap or trade it for something I would be happy to take it off your hands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a great way to keep the dust, air and sunlight away from such a valuable machine. I keep mine in the original box over which are seven layers of plastic bags (all from different stores). That package resides in an airtight but see through plastic storage tub. I don't actually play it, but I spend a lot of time looking at the mass of bags and thinking about what playing it would be like.

In reality my everyday Saturn looks like Nicholas Cage from The Weatherman. Splat!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Well if you wanna sell your Saturn cheap or trade it for something I would be happy to take it off your hands
    I actually have about 3 systems and about 50 or so games, but i'n not really interested in selling.

its not a terrible system (liked it slightly more then the dreamcast) it just doesn't have enough games to warrent me keeping it setup longterm with my current setup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhh, the Sega Saturn. I remember saving up most of the summer to get it when it was released prematurely. Pulled lots of weeds and mulched lots of beds for that one. (Manual labor RULES!) I had Daytona USA for 3 months before I could get the system. Listened to the music on my CD player. Always loved the arcade select screen music. I'm a dork to the core.

After that, the Saturn became my first foray into import gaming with that fateful purchase of Akumajo Dracula X: Gekka no Yasukyoku from EB (!). My first time soldering and I installed a region switch. My lack of skill made what takes a half hour now a 2 hour ordeal. (My soldering iron was too hot and I was unaware of the excellence of hot glue for freezing connections). Now that same Saturn (not the original I bought as a result of 3 months of landscaping. That one went in my last sell off pre-college. At least I had the foresight to keep Panzer Dragoon Saga and a few other gems) is still a workhorse for me.

Since that time I have had to fix the region mod twice as as a result of poor soldering [now it is definitely set, many PSX modchips and Saturn region mods later (did them for friends in college for practice and ca$h)], added a blue LED (which needs to be fixed because the connection is loose) and a modchip (to play Psychic Fighter Taromaru). That piece of silicon and plastic is a personal heirloom for me.

Cheers to the Saturn. DoDonPachi in tate on my 27" TV is heaven.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

COOL... I celebrated by buying Uno DX for mine. It never made it out of Japan, but it was supposed to come over to the US, so I figured that it must be worth checking it out.

Must be fairly rare too. I had to pay $40 plus shipping for a new copy, which I have not seen on ebay before, and I still haven't seen any used copies yet either. So it seems rather scarce. The one I got is supposed to be the limited edition as well, so hopefully it comes with a sticker or something.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, Sega's 32-bit baby turned 11 already? Man, where has the time gone. I can get a Saturn for about $50 at a place that sells lots of old stuff. I've wanted one for the longest time. Now I just need the green.

Anyway, happy 11th birthday, Saturn!!

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

11 years? Damn do I feel old. I remember I was working at Funcoland at the time, and I baught my first Saturn about a month after its surprise release at a nearby EB. I paid $400 for the console alone, and it was worth every penny.

The Saturn is my favorite console of all-time, almost because of the 2D Capcom fighters alone. There are so many classics on the Saturn, especially if you're willing to import. I spent countless hours playing some of the greats; Daytona, Sega Rally, Virtual On, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighter's Megamix, the Panzer Dragoon Series, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, Metal Slug, Night Warriors, Vampire Savior, Powerslave, Thunder Force V, the Street Fighter series, and on and on.

In fact my favorite game of all-time is Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Saturn. Not only that, but Sega tried some unusual things that ended up being a big deal on other consoles like online play (via Netlink), the analog controller, VCD playback, internet browser, etc.

Long live the Saturn, one of the most underappreciated consoles of all-time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, time does fly. Remember when I first got it and playing the virtua fighters and those funky bug games plus gex. I knew playstaion would be strong contender but never in a million years would dream they would take over for the next 10 years. Definately go and play some saturn games for old times sake. I will be playing alot of the imports but still like botting up the USA version of the bubble bobble/rainbow islands disk. if I feel really retro, I'll put on those cheesy 3d glasses and play contra

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Watched an episode of 7 Days on Spike TV today, (It's on before DS9) A scene in a comic book shop had Saturn games on the wall, they were out of focus, but I saw Baku Baku, Daytona (I think it was CCE) and Nfl 97 there were others I recognized, but nothing too rare.