Thread: PS2 DVD Player Won't Play Movies Anymore After Mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 DVD Player Won't Play Movies Anymore After Mod

I just got my v7 PS2 modded this week and it has no problem playing games. Whenever I put a movie DVD into it though and select it in the browser, I get a "dvd player not set up" message. I checked the system settings and noticed that there isn't any DVD player listed there anymore like there used to be.

Anyone know what the deal is? I asked the person who modded my PS2 about it and he insists it's nothing he did. Says I could have messed the BIOS pins up when I tried to install a non-solder chip earlier. All I know is that it worked fine before I shipped it out to him. I bought a used PS2 remote with a DVD driver disc hoping that I could install the player on the memory card, but it freezes up when the transfer gets to around 15%. Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: PS2 DVD Player Won't Play Movies Anymore After Mod

Sounds like somebody's trying to cover their behind. Threaten to take him to SONY JAIL unless he fixes the problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I had the same problem (or have) with my ps2. It has something to do with the boot up process that is required of the chip. Did you try to boot it like you would with imports or backups?
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    I had the same problem (or have) with my ps2. It has something to do with the boot up process that is required of the chip. Did you try to boot it like you would with imports or backups?
    Well the chip I got (DMS4 Pro SE), doesn't require any special way of booting imports or backups. I just stick them all in there and they play without having to do anything. I booted up the PS2 with the chip disabled thinking that might solve it, but still no DVD player. Re-flashed the BIOS/OS and that didn't do anything either. It just looks as if there is no DVD installed on the PS2 anymore.

S1lence, do you know for sure if it has to do with the chips boot-up process? If that's the case, the DVD player should work when I boot with the chip disabled, right? I'm going crazy trying to find a definite answer to this. I've been told that it could be anything from a bad chip to a messed up solder point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Well the chip I got (DMS4 Pro SE), doesn't require any special way of booting imports or backups. I just stick them all in there and they play without having to do anything. I booted up the PS2 with the chip disabled thinking that might solve it, but still no DVD player. Re-flashed the BIOS/OS and that didn't do anything either. It just looks as if there is no DVD installed on the PS2 anymore.

S1lence, do you know for sure if it has to do with the chips boot-up process? If that's the case, the DVD player should work when I boot with the chip disabled, right? I'm going crazy trying to find a definite answer to this. I've been told that it could be anything from a bad chip to a messed up solder point.
    If the chip is disabled then it should work without a question. Im not that familar with the newer chips, but I wonder if anyone on the ps2-scene forums have had similar problems with that chip. It might not hurt to check over there.

I just checked , supposedly there is a wire that allows it to switch to dvd mode. You may want to check for loose wires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the chip is disabled then it should work without a question. Im not that familar with the newer chips, but I wonder if anyone on the ps2-scene forums have had similar problems with that chip. It might not hurt to check over there.

I just checked , supposedly there is a wire that allows it to switch to dvd mode. You may want to check for loose wires.
    Can you post a link to that? I checked there and couldn't find any reference to it. I'd love to show it to the guy that modded my PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I can check again when I'm at work, I bookmarked it to be safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Here is that link, I know that it isn't specific to your model or chip but it may help you either way. I saw your thread on there to so hopefully you will have an answer soon.

http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/show...&highlight=DVD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Not being an ass, but why not just play them on a standalone DVD player? Better picture quality and sound and at this point, it's not even expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

On my modded PS2, I have to hold down the power on button until the PS2 starts playing the boot up music/noise/whatever you call it to watch DVDs. I have to do the same thing to get it to play PS1 backups. So I have to:

Open tray
    Insert Movie
    Power off PS2
    Power on PS2, holding in power button
    Release when music/sound starts

Try that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My PS2 mod has a similar issue, but it's a "design feature" -- they told me it would be like that.

For me to watch a DVD, I need to:

1) insert DVD
    2) turn on system
    3) reboot
    4) reboot again
    5) 3rd time's a charm.

But it's what I was told would happen when I got it. It does something similar for PS1 games, I have to do steps 1-3.

My solution is to just play DVDs on my DVD player, or on my laptop. Never used my PS2 for movies much anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Not being an ass, but why not just play them on a standalone DVD player? Better picture quality and sound and at this point, it's not even expensive.
    Yeah, I know. That's what the person who modded the PS2 said but it still should be able to play dvd's. To be honest, I hardly ever play dvd's on it anyway. My stand alone player can't play imports and some dvd-r media though, so if I wanted to watch those, it'd have to be on the PS2. And since I got it modded, I'll probably be watching more movies on it after I get the SMS media player app installed on it.

I appreciate the tips on getting it working but it's not my problem anymore. I just sold it and bought a beautiful slim PStwo pre-mod system that works perfect.:P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see a LOT of the problems you described, with modded PS2's. The service level out there is just awful.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!