Thread: Pictures of my Treasure collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pictures of my Treasure collection

http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...ure-Collection

Having finally received the copy of Dynamite Headdy for the Master System that I bought from eBay, my collection is complete. I am not going for all variations, but I would like to get all of the Japanese MegaDrive games and Yuke Yuke Troublemakers for the N64. Not everything is complete, but they are all there.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Pretty darn slick. That's a lot of great gaming you got there. :) Quite valuable little collection too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah...Yu Yu Hakusho was rather expensive, last time I looked for it. Good stuff.

Now, go get their pre-Treasure (Konami) games! Seems we're working in different directions, there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got most of those too, but the full list is somewhat unknown. I need to search for one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty awesome collection! All fun games, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So now the big question- which game in the collection is your favorite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats an awesome collection. What a good (and expensive!) thing to aim for. Didn't know TecToy released a MasterSystem version of Dynamite Heady.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by delafro
    So now the big question- which game in the collection is your favorite?
    That is an INCREDIBLY tough call. It is a toss-up between Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes and Gunstar Heroes, Honorable Mentions for Astro Boy and Sin & Punishment. Gunstar usually wins out, but the others all do equally brilliant things with their genres.

I may have a large collection of Treasure stuff, and have their logo as my sig, but I am definitely not a fanboy. I love all things 2D action. Treasure is one of the standouts. They focus first on attempting to innovate in the realm of play mechanics, with a pretty good track record. There are a few bombs though (Stretch Panic comes immediately to mind). They also have a quirky art style all their own and good, recognizable music.

I chose to go after this subset because it is filled with some of the most talked about games around. It is also cool to educate the willing about something they might never have experienced. Finally, I would rather get one $100 game that means something to me than five $20 games that will just get buried in the collection (though i buy plenty of those too).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Sin & Punishment is my all-time favorite N64 game and one of my top 10 games overall.

Great collection!!!

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

That is a nice collection! Treasure does a fine job of developing games.

Question: Exactly what are your thoughts on Stretch Panic? I have thought about getting this game for quite some time but haven't really heard too much about its game play.

Oh yeah... Treasure = BEST N64 games! Sin & Punishment is the reason I bought a N64(in 2004).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Very Nice! Barring different versions, I'm missing 4 at this point...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I love seeing people's mini-collection's because they're so personal and meaningful. I'm fortunate to have a few Treasure games but I hardly know anything at all about Treasure or the games they developed. It's hard to fathom that the same people responsible for Radiant Silvergun are also responsible for Silpheed: The Lost Planet. It's also weird to see how spread out they are genre wise. It's almost as if they said "We'll do anything if the price is right. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G!"

If I were to play a game and see "WARNING HUGE BATTLESHIP APPROACHING", I'd know right off I was playing a Taito game. Is there any common thread to Treasure games that you've noticed that let's you know right off you are playing a Treasure game?

And do you consider Dragon Drive D-Masters Shot to be a legitimate Treasure game?

VERY NICE Treasure collection! I enjoyed seeing it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    It's hard to fathom that the same people responsible for Radiant Silvergun are also responsible for Silpheed: The Lost Planet.
    Treasure gets involved in licensed games, like everyone else, to A) make money and B) test out new ideas. Sometimes we get a Yu Yu Hakusho or an Astro Boy, others, Tiny Toon Adventures: Scary Dreams or Dragon Drive. Silpheed was an exercise, as was Stretch Panic, in programming for the PS2 and was also most likely a favor for GameArts. The above mentioned Tiny Toons is almost like a proto for Astro Boy (same producer).

And do you consider Dragon Drive D-Masters Shot to be a legitimate Treasure game?
    Yes. It was developed by Treasure even though they aren't really mentioned in the packaging (ESP is mentioned though). It is a mixed-bag, licensed game that looks like an N64 game, but again, it's a proving ground. The card system for powerups is very similar to that of Bleach DS.

Is there any common thread to Treasure games that you've noticed that let's you know right off you are playing a Treasure game?
    Treasure's games tend to be intense, have unique controls or game systems within proven genres, and are full of intelligent, pattern-heavy boss battles. It is more a "feel" than anything else, though all the games that feature Han as the artist and/or character designer have a unique style that is 100% Treasure. Also, Marina, the lead character in Mischief Makers, makes appearances in Rakugaki Showtime and, to a point, Radiant Silvergun. BTW, I am with you on the Taito thing, though one word always comes to mind for me with Taito: ZUNTATA!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis
    Question: Exactly what are your thoughts on Stretch Panic? I have thought about getting this game for quite some time but haven't really heard too much about its game play.
    Stretch Panic is nowhere near as good as GameGo! magazine felt it was, nor is it a steaming pile, but it is definitely the worst original Treasure game (right next to Light Crusader). It has an interesting art style, and dual stick control scheme that has you moving your character with the left stick while moving her scarf with the right. The L!, R1, L2 & R2 buttons handle jumping, grabbing and so on. It also uses the L3 & R3 buttons throughout. There is definitely a learning curve.

The game system involves grabbing enemies in weak spots with the scarf, holding on, and yanking them in all directions, before letting go with a snap to damage them. Very strange. It is really more a test of a deformation engine, as everything, even the background, stretches when you pull it. There are only a few small stages and several engaging boss battles, but that's it.

Mention must be made that your character has a large, heavy head & tiny body, and movement feels top-heavy, exactly like it should. It is also important to note that, due to the anti-vanity sentiment of the game, most of the enemies are these weird, blocky polygonal women with medicine ball-sized breasts that need to be grabbed in the small of the back with the scarf.

There are some cool graphical effects (the hub in particular feels like an upgraded Rakugaki Showtime), and it has very little aliasing for an early PS2 game, but it just isn't great. One for the subset if there ever was one, though I would still probably have it anyway for its "quirk".