Thread: How would one go about opening up a game store?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How would one go about opening up a game store?

Me and my Uncle Ronny were talking, and he offered me a job. Now, we got to talking about what I wanted to do, and I said open up a game store, and he said that he could put down half of the money. This store would be mostly classic gaming, with some modern stuff. It would be at a flea market, but there are a couple of longstanding shops at the flea market selling games (one's been around for ten years, and his stuff is a bit overpriced). I'd also open up an online shop too, but what would be the overall cost for a shop like this?

I'm sure there'd be someone at Digitpress willing to sell a good portion of games, or I could probably find a nice sized lot somewhere on ebay (although I am a bit skeptical about using ebay.)
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: How would one go about opening up a game store?

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow
    I'd also open up an online shop too, but what would be the overall cost for a shop like this?
    Flea market wise, it's mostly just a matter of renting space. If it's more of a "store" than that (which I'm led to believe based on your post) then you'd need to incorporate, do all the business paperwork, etc. pay the paperwork filing fees and so forth. If you're planning to go that far, you may also want to consider renting more of a "store" store than a section of the flea.

Online - typical web fee stuff - domain name, hosting, shopping carts (optional), etc. Some of it will depend on your own knowledge of web programming and the like, and how hands on you want to (and/or need to) be. Sylentwulf can probably give you some good pointers on the web side of things.

I'm sure there'd be someone at Digitpress willing to sell a good portion of games
    Yup - send me a PM when you're ready and we can work something out.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Step 1: Buy store.
    Step 2: ????????
    Step 3: PROFIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Cow
    I'd also open up an online shop too, but what would be the overall cost for a shop like this?
    Flea market wise, it's mostly just a matter of renting space. If it's more of a "store" than that (which I'm led to believe based on your post) then you'd need to incorporate, do all the business paperwork, etc. pay the paperwork filing fees and so forth. If you're planning to go that far, you may also want to consider renting more of a "store" store than a section of the flea.

Online - typical web fee stuff - domain name, hosting, shopping carts (optional), etc. Some of it will depend on your own knowledge of web programming and the like, and how hands on you want to (and/or need to) be. Sylentwulf can probably give you some good pointers on the web side of things.

I'm sure there'd be someone at Digitpress willing to sell a good portion of games
    Yup - send me a PM when you're ready and we can work something out.
    Thanks, and, I will! However, you'd have to wait a few months for me to get the money. What systems do you collect for?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    Step 1: Buy store.
    Step 2: ????????
    Step 3: PROFIT!
    Gotta love the Underpants Gnomes!
    My feedback
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Check with your local vo-tech and see if they offer a class on starting your own business. My wife and I attended one that was one night a week for about three months and covered things like making a business plan, dealing with banks and getting loans, advertising, insurance, and all that stuff. I think the price of the class was like $50 for 12 weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have often though about opening a gamestore. However, one thing that bothers me: where do you get your stock from?

Obviously for the new stuff, you contact a wholesaler for Sony/M$/Nintendo stuff.

But what about the classic stuff, mainly Japanese imports? No way I'd sit there on Ebay, and the prices are too much. However, I've seen pics of some of the game stores in Japan that just have shelves and shelves of Famicoms, SFamis, PCEs etc etc. I can't go get the stuff myself, as a return plane ticket is about a grand!

So, are there any companies/persons in Japan that will basically do your shopping for you? So I could send them a list of games and consoles I'd want. This would still incur shipping charges from the Far-east and a fee for the shopper. But this is surely cheaper than any other way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    I have often though about opening a gamestore. However, one thing that bothers me: where do you get your stock from?

Obviously for the new stuff, you contact a wholesaler for Sony/M$/Nintendo stuff.

But what about the classic stuff, mainly Japanese imports? No way I'd sit there on Ebay, and the prices are too much. However, I've seen pics of some of the game stores in Japan that just have shelves and shelves of Famicoms, SFamis, PCEs etc etc. I can't go get the stuff myself, as a return plane ticket is about a grand!

So, are there any companies/persons in Japan that will basically do your shopping for you? So I could send them a list of games and consoles I'd want. This would still incur shipping charges from the Far-east and a fee for the shopper. But this is surely cheaper than any other way?
    Yeah, you'd probably have to look online for an import wholesaler (and take a risk), although I'm pretty sure you could find some.
    My feedback

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default Re: How would one go about opening up a game store?

I think the most important thing is to ask yourself if this is something the public wants as much as you do. Classic gaming is a niche market. I think starting at the flea is a great idea. Where do your potential customers ALREADY go? The flea! Let them come to you until you have enough in the bank to move out of the flea on your own buck. Debt is bad and if the business doesnt work out...being debt free is the only way to walk away happy.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    So, are there any companies/persons in Japan that will basically do your shopping for you? So I could send them a list of games and consoles I'd want.
    Id find myself a nice reliable American military person stationed on SHORE duty over there. He will be able to do your shopping and ship it to you for VERY cheap. When they do their shipping on base they only have to pay from California to you. (approx)

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My advice- Don't do it.
    Import stuff is a waste people who want to buy it have connections for that stuff via web
    Flea market is not a bad Idea to get started but you need selection and that cost money.
    If you are ever in St louis stop by my store Trade-N-Games. I have a huge selection of vintage games along with the new systems. Or shop online now www.tradengames.com
    Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it would be hard to be a profitable game store with all the new age gamers who just want the new stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trade-N-Games
    My advice- Don't do it.
    Import stuff is a waste people who want to buy it have connections for that stuff via web
    Flea market is not a bad Idea to get started but you need selection and that cost money.
    Yeah, probably would be a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan
    I think it would be hard to be a profitable game store with all the new age gamers who just want the new stuff
    True, but there are still people who love classic games. Hell, I'm in a forum full of them
    My feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well we have one store in memphis that has a few retro gaming systems but their so overpriced and going inside the place makes me weird.They were broke one time a few years back and didnt have power cause they didnt pay their electricity bill and they still had the store open lol

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well we have one store in memphis that has a few retro gaming systems but their so overpriced and going inside the place makes me weird.They were broke one time a few years back and didnt have power cause they didnt pay their electricity bill and they still had the store open lol
    That's probably what's going to happen to my store (Minus the overpriced part)
    Actually, having some imports is good. I've had more than a few looks at my RCT Real Eyes View game (A bunch of hot Japanese models on the cover).

Plus if a kid comes in asking to trade his gunked out Gamecube straight across for a mint PS2 (which happened tonight, the kid didn't speak very good English), all I have to tell him is that it only plays Japanese games, even if my brother is playing some U.S. game on it.

I started my store with my collection of 6 years, and I'm still working part time (at the evil mega corporation) to pay my other bills until the store really picks up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, classy!

Maybe this should be a warning sign that nobody likes overpriced shit!
    My feedback