Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If it's still sealed bring it back with receipt to get your $60 back. Or you could always go to Kmart, purchase it and then bring the sealed copy back if you still have your receipt. If you're like me though, you probably won't be able to find your receipt or already have thrown it in the trash.
    the game is still sealed .... but i think that mi next visit to the US will be in 2 months
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I'm at the end of Chapter 12 and the Proudclad 2 is whooping my ass. Monsters here give LESS CP than the ones I was facing a few hours ago. Is the game laughing at me? What's a decent way to grind around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't touched this game (and couldn't if I wanted to, not having any next gen. systemes), I've just been reading this thread because I've found the bashing of this game entertaining (I don't like JRPGs, or RPGs in general). I just have a quick question:
    Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    So I'm at the tower now, just a few minutes shy of 30 hours.
    Is there a gameplay timer built into this game, or do you guys actually time yourselves? I tend to estimate the time I've invested in a game, but it seems most people in this thread know their time to within an hour.

That is all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a timer on the menu screen, like most RPGs. I'm about 37 in now.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

So I'm at the end of Chapter 12 and the Proudclad 2 is whooping my ass. Monsters here give LESS CP than the ones I was facing a few hours ago. Is the game laughing at me? What's a decent way to grind around here?
    Proudclad 2 sucked, considering how easy Proudclad 1 was.

The best place to grind is the area right after the open plains on Pulse, i.e. back in Chapter 11. :P

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But I can't get back there right now, can I? Everything here is absolutely insane except for the Cieth...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Yeah, which sucks. The game really isn't ever not linear until the very end which is just stupid.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And now I'm fighting the Wladisaos or whatever it is. I ran away from most of the stuff in this dungeon, and that was AFTER spending about an hour or to back on Pulse. FF used to be at least somewhat balanced...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And now I'm farming it. Commando-Medic-Sentinel for ten minutes (or was it more?) and it's dead. Horribly depressing way to grind, but it works. I need a break... >_<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And now I'm farming it. Commando-Medic-Sentinel for ten minutes (or was it more?) and it's dead. Horribly depressing way to grind, but it works. I need a break... >_<

That strategy works, but to speed it up, add a paradigm with a ravager instead of commando so that you can build up the chain gauge, and switch back to the one with commando occasionally to keep the chain gauge from depleting. I think with the second Proudclad, I switched between Commando-Sentinel-Ravager to Medic-Commando-Medic to kill the foe. Casting haste on everyone is always a good start of the battle strategy for any battle that cannot be won in one or two rounds (meaning you have to switch Lightning with Sahz if you are using Vanille as your main healer/ravager instead of Hope).
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason, Sazh's stats are much lower than everyone else's in my game. For that reason, I haven't used him since early on. Fang is crazy powerful, while Hope and Vanille are uber-mages. Lightning is kinda in-between, and Snow isn't good for much other than Sentinel. It would be nice if Vanille learns Haste, but I've mostly gotten by without it.

I'm probably going to grind tomorrow with Fang, Vanille, and Snow as Com-Med-Sen. I can't switch out of that for more than one round before I need a medic, to get an idea of how underpowered I am.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Wow, you are indeed underpowered. The only time I needed to use Sentinel was on the bullshit hoverbikes with the Gatling Gun that you needed to steelguard or Snow died.

After I grinded on Pulse, I'd say about 60-70% of the battles I could power through with Com-Rav-Rav or Com-Com-Rav, keeping in mind that one character may be very low on HP or down at the end.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SWEET JESUS, IT'S OVER!

What the hell did I just play through?

Before I go into post-analysis of the story and all of that, I only had to grind that thing with a pseudo-German name for about an hour and a half before I could just fight everything on the road ahead and get through the boss battles. I just kept the same patter of attacking with a dedicated medic and sentinel, and nothing took more than a few minutes. I died once on the final form of Orphan, but after that I made sure to debuff and it was a 2-minute fight. I think I'm done with this game, not really interested in grinding the missions or filling the crystarium.

As for the story, there are SOOOOO many issues that it's not even funny. I've got a little transcript of the 2nd half of the game (Chapter 8-13; spoilers ahead)...

Hope: "We need to save the planet"
    Snow: "SERAH!"
    Lightning: "No, that's what THEY want us to do! We need to destroy the planet!"
    Snow: "SERAH!!!1111"
    Hope: "I know it's hard guys, but we need to keep going and fulfill our destiny."
    Snow: "SERAAAAAAAAH!!!!"
    Sazh: "Oh snap, they're EMO GODS, and they wanted us to kill them all along!"
    Hope: "I know it's hard guys, but we need to keep going and fulfill our destiny. Also, I have not said this before."
    Orphan: "Two chapters ago, I was described as a battery! Now I am a sword, and I want you to kill me! SALVATION! PAIN! SALVATION!"
    *Cocoon melts and reforms*
    Leona Lewis: "My hands! Your hands! My hands! Your hands!"
    Snow: "SERAH?"
    Serah: "...and there were a bunch of chocobos there!"
    Dodge: "Neat!"
    -SQUARE ENIX-
    Seriously, that's all I got from the second half of the game. And they want to make a direct sequel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, like I said before, the story kind of dies out around the end of Chapter 9. I can't see them making any kind of good story to follow this up, unless they are making a prequel to make sense of the confusing War of Transgression. It is a good thing I found the battle system to be interesting enough to keep at the game.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I was going to avoid this game, but since it was 29.99 at Kmart I ended up picking it up early since it will probably be about a year or so before it's 19.99 or less.

Of course I'll be playing Red Dead Redemption as soon as it comes out in the next couple weeks, so this game won't be touched for awhile. Still need to finish the Ballad of Gay Tony as well.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just picked this up recently myself as money was tight and other games came first, but I gotta say i'm enjoying the fuck out of it!

Quite possibly my favorite Final Fantasy game ever..... well, maybe doesn't beat Final Fantasy Tactics. Given i've never been a HUGE Final Fantasy fan as exploration is not my cup of tea, but i've always liked the combat and this one has alot.

I think the game is quite beautiful so far, I myself like the characters alot and think the story and the universe are quite believable and very artistic. So far seems like it has been underrated imho. I like it... alot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I actually also started. About two hours in. Attacks seem a little bit limited right now being that I can either use an area attack or just regularly attack.

I thought I'd hate the lack of exploration but it's not bad. Characters seem likeable so far as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Final Fantasy 13 sucks ass. The limited exploration doesn't bother me or atleast it's yet to bother me. The storyline isn't bad and the music isn't bad except for the crappy battle theme. Now I'm only about five hours into the game but the battle system is so shitty I can't put anymore time into it. This is easily one of the worst RPGs I've ever played.

After becoming a L'cie you're still extremely limited in your actions. The speed of the ATB is so quick that it really forces you to repeatedly put your character into auto battle which in turn the game picks the best course of action. What's worse is that the game recommends for you to choose auto battle. You can change the ATB speed to slow, but then it's 10 times slower and you have every action input and then waiting quite awhile before the action bar is full. Battles last about 30 seconds(so the battle theme barely even starts) but it doesn't matter anyways since they're boring as shit. About two hours into the game you're able to change your characters actions, etc, but it did nothing to help you feel like you were given any sort of control over your characters.

Is it also possible that Square Enix have made a shittier more graphically enhanced version of FF10s sphere grid? Instead of moving over and placing your next skill, you have to hold the X button and press the direction you want to go and wait for the bar to fill up. Can it not just be as simple as moving to the next skill and hitting X?

I'll still try to put more time into it and eventually finish it so to get it out of my backlog but it'll probably never happen.

I should have wiped my ass with that 30 dollars. It would have been a much better use of the money.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-29-2010 at 11:52 PM.