View Poll Results: Who "won" E3 this year?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony

5 3.38%
  • Microsoft

15 10.14%
  • Nintendo

124 83.78%
  • Some other company (explain please!)

1 0.68%
  • E3 was this week? Sorry... I just crawled out of my hole.

3 2.03%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which company "won" E3 this year?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which company "won" E3 this year?

So... which of the "big three" came away on top this year?

Without any fanboy ranting/raving, please!

I'd have to say Nintendo came out on top for me. I went into this week really not interested in the Wii. I planned on buying one, but I was looking forward to other things first. A Wii purchase was an "if its available" status for me. But after seeing the system in action for a bit, hearing about some of the games, and just general buzz, I gotta say that a Wii purchase went from "maybe" to a launch-day "most definitely." The only thing that could spoil the party would be price. But I'm not expecting that to be a factor.

Sony just didn't impress me. The games looked good, but I just didn't come away EXCITED about the system like I was with the Wii. Not what I was expecting. I thought this week would make me want to get in line for PS3 NOW. I've kinda gone more into a "wait and see" mode.

Microsoft did what it had to do. They showed some good game titles, some interesting peripherals (wireless headset!), and the E3-specific downloads on Live really added a lot to the buzz factor. I was able to see their trailers in full HD glory instead of a small, low rez computer stream.

What did others come away with? I'm interested to hear what other people thought.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't this poll be more appropriate when E3 is over?
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm assuming we've heard all the "big" announcements by now. Usually the last couple of days aren't as information-packed.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

My vote goes to Coleco.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Nokia by far. Go Ngage!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hey, did you hear that Nintendo announced that *spoiler start* they're going to start selling games on TAPE!? SERIOUSLY. maybe even disks! This will be pretty revolutionary for bringing low-cost games to the people!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Nintendo here.

For me, E3 has always been more about the annoucements and the unknowns than about the games. This year was the PS3/Wii annoucements and all that and the actually getting something solid to stick that ridiculous name to is the best part for me.

Sony had some suprises, but nothing too unexpected. High price, but the tilt control was pretty much outta left field. We all knew they'd take it sometime, just thought they would have waited for the technology to prove itself before they jump on the bandwagon.

Microsoft had a good showing with a really strong lineup of very anticipated titles, but the new hardware is where all the interest is for me. I'm definitely geeked for Halo 3 and Gears of War, but I've also got 300 games behind me I haven't touched.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo, except for the 4-5 hour lines. =)

Luckily the DSs were not (super) packed.
    Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is this really necessary? It's quite obvious that Atari was the big winner at this year's E3.... :P
    #vbender

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had about the same expectations for both ps3 and wii. But after Sony did their announcement, I was kinda ticked off. I just feel that sony doing a motion-sensored controller was an obvious "we stole the idea of nintendo". And although I was stoken about the new MGS4 and FFXIII, Nintendo blew me away with mario galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl (feat, Snake!), Metroid, along with all the new DS games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    That's what i thought.

Although so far my thoughts are:

MS
    - Best press conference
    - Solid 06 line up
    - Live Anywhere is amazing
    - The clear better of the 2 graphics powerhouses based on price, graphical equality, live, and the games

Nintendo
    - A very close second to MS for best press conference. It was fun but needed to be tighter
    - 06/07 line looks very strong
    - Wii fun factor and predicted low price will make it a must own second to the 360. Both should cost you less then a barebones PS3
    - There are concerns about the space required to play. No more sitting on the couch
    - DS was under played but still has many great titles coming

Sony
    - Long, boring press conference
    - GT4 isn't very impressive, basically just 1080i GT4 in progressive
    - Heavanly Sword looks cool
    - MGS4 still looks amazing but is way too far off
    - Painfully steep price
    - Insulting to European players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

with the prices of next gen consoles and games going up, id say gamers are the big losers at E3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    with the prices of next gen consoles and games going up, id say gamers are the big losers at E3
    Should think before you speak.
    Back in the Sega Genesis days Phantasy Star IV cost 99$. USD.

PS1 when I bought it at launch cost me 500$, but thats Canadian, and PS2 at launch for us was 449.99.

Systems seem to be going up a bit this round, but not much, and the games are sitting the same they always have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    - The clear better of the 2 graphics powerhouses based on price, graphical equality, live, and the games
    this is the main thing I will disagree with mainly because we don't know really how the PS3 will turn out because it hasn't launched yet

not to say that Microsoft hasn't done a damn good job of making an awesome console but there's still alot up in the air

to say it's the clear better of the 2 systems it's really to soon to tell, and the games on the 360 they are good but other than graw and oblivion most other titles are still pretty meh nothing really amazing exclusives mainly because if a game is out on PC it's not technically an exclusive IMO

that being said Gears of War looks amazing and easily one of the best games shown at e3 along with MGS4

it should really be interesting to see what will happen

on the topic of Gears of War I could see it being on both PC and PS3 eventually as well.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nik

PS1 when I bought it at launch cost me 500$, but thats Canadian, and PS2 at launch for us was 449.99.

Systems seem to be going up a bit this round, but not much, and the games are sitting the same they always have.
    youre going to compare the upper crust of 16 bit games to the entire new lineup of next gen games? the costs of games now are based on licenses to the big three, not on cart production costs

systems did not cost this much, and the reason the costs are up is not entirely gaming enhancements... its a matter of convergence. half the cost of the PS3 goes toward the blue ray drive that really isnt needed for this generation of gaming. standard DVDs are cheap enough to produce if the 9GB threshold is surpassed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nik

Phantasy Star games have always been crazy expensive, and are no way indicative of the average game price. That's part of why Phantasy Star is where it is today, while Final Fantasy is where it is today. SNES and Genesis games were mostly like $50 US if I remember right, but they were also on a format that was more expensive to produce than discs.

I got a PS2 for a very reasonable price. The PS3 costs twice as much for just the bare bones model, without HD, without WiFi, without the bigger HDD. What Sony is doing with the PS3 can't be called "normal." If it were, the 360 and Wii wouldn't be undercutting them so significantly.

For a system that's supposedly so much more powerful to be worth the price, the PS3 doesn't look any better than the 360 graphically to me.

Now, even though Nintendo hasn't given any final price points yet, they're making it sound like the Wii and Wii games are not going to be expensive. So gamers may not be "losers" from a price gouging perspective if they follow that route.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Lothars
    Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    this is the main thing I will disagree with mainly because we don't know really how the PS3 will turn out because it hasn't launched yet

not to say that Microsoft hasn't done a damn good job of making an awesome console but there's still alot up in the air

to say it's the clear better of the 2 systems it's really to soon to tell, and the games on the 360 they are good but other than graw and oblivion most other titles are still pretty meh nothing really amazing exclusives mainly because if a game is out on PC it's not technically an exclusive IMO

that being said Gears of War looks amazing and easily one of the best games shown at e3 along with MGS4

it should really be interesting to see what will happen

on the topic of Gears of War I could see it being on both PC and PS3 eventually as well.
    I chose to make that comment based on several factors.

- The words of John Carmack
    - The PS3 games that were shown where on par with what we've seen from the 360s launch which means Sony has not shown enough to justify the PS3
    - This seems to be the concensus amongst the industry including journalists and designers like Carmack and Wright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well that is true, I am reading Bill Harris thoughts on it and he makes some really good points

but can someone tell me in the US is the xbox 360 retailing at 399 and 499 or is it 399 and 299?

the reason I though it was 499 is mainly because that's what the price is here in canada,

I would honestly be surprised though if sony keeps up the current price of 599, I think they should have the price of 499 and 399 but we will see.

I am currently looking at a 360 and a Wii though I definitly get a PS3 especially for the RPG factor.

Should be still an interesting generation

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this poll should be changed to something a bit more realistic, such as:

[Poll] How hard did Nintendo kick ass at this years E3?

A) Very hard

But seriously, there wasn't really anything that was extremely surprising at E3 this year. Sony came out to announce they'll be charging us a left arm for their new "groundbreaking" system, Microsoft reminded us that they have the smarts (but much more the power\money) to seriously compete in the industry, and Nintendo once again is set to revolutionize the gaming world with its innovative ideas.

Most importantly, there seem to be plenty of awesome games on their way for all systems... Definitely a great time to be a gamer