Thread: Tomy Pyuuta Tron game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tomy Pyuuta Tron game

I just got this lot at the flea market in Japan for 7000 Yen (about $65.00) and I was surprised that there was a Tron game. I didn't know it existed. It's a pretty cool version of Tempest. I've never played the Pyuuta or Tutor and it is kinda cool. Anyone else played it?

y-bot

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mr.Russian

Nope, but that system looks like a japanese version of the aquarius home computer i had as a kid. Little rubber buttons the aquarius had a discs of tron game, snafu, and my favorite utopia!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supaevil
    Nope, but that system looks like a japanese version of the aquarius home computer i had as a kid.
    The Pyuuta is actually a graphics powerhouse for it's day, I have the US version - the Tomy Tutor and three games: Traffic Jam, Jungler, and Loco-Motion. Has nothing to do with the Mattel Aquarius.

Nice haul by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know I'm about pissing myself about that score. I love Pyuuta and I have a wants list for the system. I can probably use half that stuff.

I was pretty exceited about Tron when I got me a copy a few years back, but I believe that it has a US equivalent, Hyperspace.

If you have any inclination to trade any of that stuff (doubt it), I have a spare Basic #23 for Super Cassettevision complete in box to trade

Ian's Pyuuta wants:
    Bombman (1), Saurusland (3), Turpin (4), Frogger (5), Donpan (12), Athleticland (13), Pooyan (14), Guttang Guttong (16), Mr. Do! (19), Triplecommand (22), Superbike (23), Baseball 3D (25), Battlefighter 3D (26), Demonstration cart

not to mention several boxes for the loose carts that I have.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow, you got a pretty good deal there...good grab!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

So what does it use for program storage? Cassette tapes or carts? I can't really tell from that picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    So what does it use for program storage? Cassette tapes or carts? I can't really tell from that picture.
    Cartridges for games (cartridge slot in the upper right), cassette tapes via the Data Recorder accessory for user-written programs. The TRON game was released in the US as Hyperspace.

More information (or I should say pretty much the only information) here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's crazy that the Tron game wasn't licensed as such in the US. Does it still have the Recognizers? Are the Pyuuta and the Tutor 100% compatible?

@Ian-I haven't decided if I'm keeping this stuff or not. I'll let you know if I decide to get rid of any of it. I found a store that made me almost piss myself. Actuall it's the store where I bought a boxed Bandai Intellivision last year for 3000 Yen. They have another boxed Bandai Intellivision, a boxed Bandai TV Jack 5000, a boxed Creativision (not sure if it is the Japan version or not) and a bunch of other crazy stuff. It was all not for sale though because the owner wasn't there. The TV Jack 5000 had a price of 7600 or 7800 but they wouldn't sell it because it is untested. I suspect they don't have any games for those systems so they won't sell them. I had to sweet talk the old lady to the Intellivision last time. My friend is working on it though so maybe something will come of it.

y-bot

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mr.Russian

Awww , cmon it kinda of looks like the aquarius controls and everything accept the aquarius had a numbered pad with a circle type direction control. Whoops just trying to help you can see the similarities right? You guys are good!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by y-bot
    That's crazy that the Tron game wasn't licensed as such in the US. Does it still have the Recognizers? Are the Pyuuta and the Tutor 100% compatible?
    Yup, same exact game. Some of the later revisions of the Pyuuta break compatibility but I've read that the Pyuuta 1 and Tomy Tutor are exactly the same internally save for some of the prompts being incorrect due to the changes in the English / Japanese character set. (text will be garbled, game will play fine)

Quote Originally Posted by supaevil
    Awww , cmon it kinda of looks like the aquarius controls and everything accept the aquarius had a numbered pad with a circle type direction control. Whoops just trying to help you can see the similarities right? You guys are good!

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice haul, I have yet to see any of that turn up stateside so far, dang I want to find something good now.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Like the site there says, it's vaguely similar to the TI-99.

How did Mr. Do turn out?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Like the site there says, it's vaguely similar to the TI-99.

How did Mr. Do turn out?
    I only played each game for a short time. I don't remember how Mr. Do was to be honest. Hopefully I'll have more time to play it in the future.

y-bot

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most Pyuuta games look far, far more like MSX games than they do like TI-99/4a ones. While the Pyuuta has a similar CPU to the TI-99, it has an identical video chip to the MSX1 and that's what really matters (Although it's quite similar to the VDU in the TI-99 as well). That being said, Mr. Do looks just about as good as it does on the MSX. The game plays well (although not with an original Pyuuta joypad, I highly suggest modifying a real Joypad) and the intermission scenes are included, too.

Yup, same exact game. Some of the later revisions of the Pyuuta break compatibility but I've read that the Pyuuta 1 and Tomy Tutor are exactly the same internally save for some of the prompts being incorrect due to the changes in the English / Japanese character set. (text will be garbled, game will play fine)
    Only certain older first-generation Pyuuta games will play with garbled text, the rest play just fine on a Tutor. Actually the Pyuuta Jr. and I believe the Pyuuta 2 have the English font built into them just like the Tomy Tutor. So if you play a first gen Pyuuta game on a Pyuuta Jr., you'll get garbled text just as if you played it on a Tomy Tutor. I've got a stack of Pyuuta games, and only older Konami titles like Scramble, Frogger, and Jungler have garbled text on my Pyuuta Jr.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander
    Most Pyuuta games look far, far more like MSX games than they do like TI-99/4a ones. While the Pyuuta has a similar CPU to the TI-99, it has an identical video chip to the MSX1 and that's what really matters (Although it's quite similar to the VDU in the TI-99 as well).
    The TI-99/4A and MSX VDPs are identical. The TMS9918A was originally built for the 4A.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 9918A was built for the TI-99/4a, but the Pyuuta uses a 9918ANL, which I believe has a couple of extra features.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The TI-99/4QI (Quality Improved) also used the 9918ANL. Though info on the net is almost inexistent, I believe that the NL simply signifies a manufacturing change.
    If you find any other info, I'd like to know.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A long, long time ago I remember finding data sheets for both, and for whatever reason I remember there being some difference in the instruction set. But maybe I'm thinking of something else.

This might be a useful guide for comparing TI-99, Pyuuta, and MSX graphics. Here's Frogger for all three systems.

TI-99 on the left, Pyuuta in center, msx on the right