Thread: Favorite INTELLIVISION CONSOLE?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Favorite INTELLIVISION CONSOLE?

Owned most consoles over the years however always felt I missed something having never owned an Intellevision, I feel I missed a large part of the gaming evolution. Considering picking one up and was wondering what your favorite version of the console was (how many versions are there?) of course the original certainly has a retro charm to it but I always thoguht the Intellivision II looked pretty cool and when released originally I really thought they did a good job on the re-design.

Is it worth collecting or just better off with a compilation on PS2 or something? How does it compare?

What are the best games and is there an alternative for the touch disc pads? Any other info and opinions welcomed. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I don't have one, I really like the look of the Super Pro System. I don't know, that slick metalic colored stuff they put on the edge of the console really makes it look like it could become airborn... or something.
    I only actually own the first version of the Intellivision, and it's not the greatest, but it does get me by playing the odd game of Worm Whopper every once and a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

The Super Pro System is definately my favorite.

The system is actualy the the INTV System 3, it was repackaged and sold as the Super Pro System by INTV to coincide with its released sports tiltle of the Super Pro variety (ie. Golf, Hockey, Football etc...)

Nice styling, a power on LED, and is compatible with the Intellivoice and the ECS computer module.
    The only problem with it is that it is not compatible with the System Changer (adapter which allows you to play Atari cartridges on your INTY)

The Intellivision II is compatible with all the expansions, and in fact the look is compatible with the Music Keyboard, System Changer and the Grey ECS module.
    The hand controllers are replaceable which is a plus, but the damn controllers suck IMHO.

The fire buttons aren't very good, and they took away the raised "bubble" keypad buttons, so the feel on those isn't very good either.
    The Intellivision Ii also won't play any of the Coleco brand games either (Donley Kong, Carnival, Mousetrap, etc..)
    There are also a few of Intellivision's own games that don't work with an Intellivision II, Word Fun won't work at all, and
    a few games have bugs/glitches when played on the INTY II.

All in all, the best system to pick up is the System III or the Super Pro System.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

version 2 feels the cheapest, but looking back at it, the design is quite modern for the early 80's

if you do not want to get into collecting, your best emulation bet is going to be the PC version of Intellivision Lives, its only available online, and the included emu will work with other INTV roms that arent included with the released collections (tron, burgertime, and other games that couldnt be released due to licensing). what sets apart the PC/Mac version is that you can use your number pad on your keyboard as an accurate INTV number pad

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/re...ia/lives.shtml
    http://www.intellivisionlives.com/re...ia/rocks.shtml

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Dont waste your time with the PS2 compilations. You really have to learn to use the INTV disc if you want the INTV experience. I grew up with a Tandyvision and it's still my fav. The INTV 2 disc pads feel terrible. The Tandyvision and INTV1 both have a metalic feel, the INTV 2 just had plain plastic discs. The 2 system also has flat buttons so I have a hard time knowing if I even pushed the button all the way. It doesnt matter what system you get, the controller is going to kick your ass. Not just the disc but all 16 buttons too.
    I reccomend the Tandyvision. I havent played a system 3 though.

Some games I consider a *must play* are Snafu, Burgertime (my fav of any system), Tron Deadly Discs (!), Mouse Trap, Atlantis, Carnival, Astrosmash, Night Stalker, Utopia, NFL Football, and Frogger.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Sears Super Video Arcade that I'm partial to because of the detachable controllers. It gives me hope that someday I may luck out and find a WICO adapter (not holding my breath), or that somebody will start selling homebrewed Jaguar->Inty adapters (REALLY not holding my breath).

Unfortunately those disc controllers just aren't my style.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I almost forgot Masters of the Universe. Another great game.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, this is the console of the early 80s I never really wanted.

Which is weird, because it has a bunch of great games.

Maybe it's time to get an INTV...

If you're getting an INTV because you want a classic gaming system to add to a collection, get the original.

If you want to have one to play the games, get whichever is cheapest - if there's a difference.

If money's no object, get the one you like best.

And enjoy
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The Inty has always been one of my all time favorite consoles. I've owned an original woodgrain model (and the voice attachment) since 1988, and I've never had a problem with either of them.

Or try the INTV system 3/Super Pro. It's basically the original design - with a slightly altered look. And it's more of a silver than gold... And if I remember correctly, the wood grain was changed into a black plasic. I may be wrong... I havent seen a system 3 since 1989.

As for these inty compilations - the games are fun, but they don't have the same feel without the inty's controllers.