Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is The Wii going To Kill The Value on NES and SNES Games???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is The Wii going To Kill The Value on NES and SNES Games???

Hey i figired this would be a good topic. Im very concerned myself seeing how i have over 500 nes games and over 120 Snes games. Wondering whether The Value will go up or go down? Any input?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

would tend to think they will go down, although I suppose it's possible that it might interest more people in picking up the classics. I just tend to think that it will be so easy for people to order whatever game they want that the prices will slump a bit. Then again, if nintendo charges $20 to download SMB3 or something, it's not going to hurt values. So I guess the real question is what will the download prices be?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this have been discussed here before.
    Anyway, i've also thought about it. Not everone will buy Wii and many do prefer the original system because it gives them the good memories back. Altho, im going to try to sell most of my doubles and extra machines before it hits the store.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it really matter? Isn't the point of buying the games to have the physical copies? I could see being pissed if you paid a lot of money for something only to see it go way down in price, but that happens all the time with new consoles and games anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

One thing for sure, It's going to hurt the demand of Megaman x3 and Chrono Trigger like raging bulls in china shops.

If anyone has any copies of those games, now is the time to sell them before they go down in price.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't beleive you. I'll keep my Chrono Trigger thank you.
    *Insert famous Towlie quote here*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's hard to say. i think most people who buy things like complete NES games only buy them to collect not so much to play. i don't play any of my classic games. if i want to play the game i play the ROM, and honestly i dont think the virtual console is gonna be very popular. i know i won't be buying games on the vc. i own the games i want and have all of the ROMs. it might effect prices a little but i see classic game collecting being less popular in the next year, with so much cool new stuff coming out, and not mention expensive as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's not going to hurt the games that collectors buy that won't be on the WII. It will hurt the games that sell for a lot because nostalgia noobs pay too much for them.

SE probably won't drop even if on the WII. If the Dragon warriors are released on the WII, I think their prices will go down. I agree on the Chrono Trigger/Mega Man X3. If nintendo would just release earthbound zero on the WII, people wouldn't pay $150 bucks for repros on ebay anymore...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what i think it will affect most are stores that carry classic games. i wont be surprised if gamecrazy (the last chain to carry anything older than PS2 now) will dump their old stock, and many mom n pop stores may do the same.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i hope they do go down, and i do see them going down, although mainly just the first party games. i doubt we'll see any drop in price of ff3/chrono trigger etc.

i believe the pricing has been rumored to be 1-5$ a download.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did the NES Classics series on GBA lower the price of the NES Bomberman? Rares, even if they're on the Wii, will continue to be sought after. I don't see prices being lowered much, if at all, especially for rare games where there'll still be stiff competition on auction sites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt it will hurt the price. Most older games are bought by collectors nowadays, and collectors want physical copies.

It definately won't hurt the higher profile RPG's and games. People do things like pay $60 for a cart only Chrono Trigger because of the status that comes with owning such a game. If all these people buying the high-end games just wanted to play them there are much cheaper alternatives like reprints, collections and emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There will always be a difference between emulation and having the real thing. Although authorized, the Wii is only emulating the classics. I for one have my games to play. No, I don’t play them on a regular basis but there is a distinct difference between an emulator and a real console.

It might affect the value a bit, but only for the more common titles. I strongly doubt the price of a SNES FFII or NES Contra Force will change due the Wii’s emulation service.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having tons of old-school games on the Wii will not in any way make me sell my copies of Mega Man X3, Secret of Mana, or Chrono Trigger. If anything, the Wii will only stop me from having to system hop so much and as a collector, I do like owning the original cart. I'm hoping other systems will get added to the Wii's Virtual Console like the Saturn or even import games. OK, that last one is probably just hopeless wishful thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do remember having this debate before, and I think my opinion is the same as it once was.
    I actually think that the Wii is going to increase the value of our classic Nintendo games. The way I see it, people are going to be able to play the NES stuff, and want to have the nostalgic memories of owning their old SMB 3 carts again, which will drive up the market.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is The Wii going To Kill The Value on NES and SNES Games

Quote Originally Posted by Parpunk
    Hey i figired this would be a good topic. Im very concerned myself seeing how i have over 500 nes games and over 120 Snes games.
    Why are you concerned? Don't you collect the games because you like them?

Wondering whether The Value will go up or go down? Any input?
    Over the years, "value" will go up and/or down. However, the Wii will have zero to do with it.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nice debates here nice debates. I can kinda agree with both opinions. But im kinda leaning towards the fact they will stay the same and some will go up. think about it. The people who pay $600.00 for a Stadium Events isnt buying the game to play. they are buying it to have it as a collectors item. Same thing goes with spending $60.00 on a Chrono Trigger. People are wanting the real thing, probably for memories and just the fact of having one again because they probably sold their original at a yard sales 10 years ago lol. But the other thing is....It also does worry me about the rare titles like Bubble bobble 2 and Flintstones 2 Because, Yes most people are buying them to collect them, but they are also buying them to play. At least some are. Of course there is emulation but emulation kinda sucks. It dont look right and everyone knows the real thing is MUCH better. Plus the rare games that are 2 players like contra force cant really be used very well by emulation. Who likes to be all crammed up with an old buddy on the computer lol. How stupid is that lol. But if you could get it on the Wii for hardly anything That might push a lot of people to do so. And make Collectors Think Twice about dropping some hard cash on the game. hmmm something to think about for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the only way the prices will drop (and hurt resell prices) is if they come up with a controller adaptor for the older games to make it more authentic to the classic (Maybe even an emulation with jitters and some lag at times). But downloading ROMs is different from having the physical copy. The purpose is to have something unique and with a demand and that's the value. Most that will be purchasing the ROMs (Or pirating them) don't care about our market anyways and won't drive our prices down. The demand will stay (Or drop VERY slightly).
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Is The Wii going To Kill The Value on NES and SNES Games

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Quote Originally Posted by Parpunk
    Hey i figired this would be a good topic. Im very concerned myself seeing how i have over 500 nes games and over 120 Snes games.
    Why are you concerned? Don't you collect the games because you like them?
    Is it a crime to be worried about the market forecast, now? Money is everything. No money, no life. That's the way of the world.

Anyhow, it seems to me that fads are the main thing that can affect a game's popularity. Dunno if we can have another "AYB," though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think they will go down. People like to have the "original real" thing, regardless of whether or not it's been released elsewhere in a more attainable matter.

Maybe $5 it effects, but no more. The Earthbound's of the SNES realm will still fetch 40+ IMO