Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is The Wii going To Kill The Value on NES and SNES Games???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might as well add that most of these games have been out between 20-10yrs now and their physical value has been settling over that time. The general demand for the title is what drives its price and the rarity in some cases, but popularity is always #1 in price driving. If suddenly everyone hates classic gaming then there'll be a huge crash and a flooded cheap market, which I'd doubt you guys will do that. Because, once again they have been out 10-20yrs, most of us that grew up to these classics can now afford them living out of the parents house and what have you, but in another 20+ years the next generation or 2 of people won't have the exposure to the now classics and the demand will drop causing that crash in these games. So it's not a matter of system releases that kill prices, it's the generation of users/gamers that ignore or don't demand these other games and systems. So one day you may see all but a few elite games going for $1, and those highly still über rare protos and all still going for a few hundred due to collectors value.

Not sure if I said all that in the right way, but I'm sure most hardcore collectors already know this rule of thumb for supply/damand pricing and all. So time will drive game prices, not new generations of gaming.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might as well add that most of these games have been out between 20-10yrs now and their physical value has been settling over that time. The general demand for the title is what drives its price and the rarity in some cases, but popularity is always #1 in price driving. If suddenly everyone hates classic gaming then there'll be a huge crash and a flooded cheap market, which I'd doubt you guys will do that. Because, once again they have been out 10-20yrs, most of us that grew up to these classics can now afford them living out of the parents house and what have you, but in another 20+ years the next generation or 2 of people won't have the exposure to the now classics and the demand will drop causing that crash in these games. So it's not a matter of system releases that kill prices, it's the generation of users/gamers that ignore or don't demand these other games and systems. So one day you may see all but a few elite games going for $1, and those highly still über rare protos and all still going for a few hundred due to collectors value.

Not sure if I said all that in the right way, but I'm sure most hardcore collectors already know this rule of thumb for supply/damand pricing and all. So time will drive game prices, not new generations of gaming.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is The Wii going To Kill The Value on NES and SNES Games

This is a good point. As collectibles, video games have very poor resale value. Since it's been mentioned before in this thread, let's take Chrono Trigger as an example. By all standards it is one of the more expensive games for the SNES, but even so, it is still cheaper than it's original price! I bought Crono Trigger for $80 when it was new- the $60 price point that's been batted about here is $20 less than that. I'd say that only about 1% of all video games book higher than their original MSRP. If you want to buy collectibles for investment purposes, video games are a poor choice.
    What are you talking about? you say you bought your Chrono Trigger NEW for 80 dollars when it was released. Have you ever seen a factory sealed Chrono Trigger sell on Ebay today? How about taking your 80 dollars and multiplying it by 7. Within a period of 10 years the market value of a sealed Chrono Trigger jumped like crazy. Yeah you can get a copy for 60 bucks a cartridge and maybe a complete set for about a hundered or so. But i'll tell you this, if i knew sealed games like Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X3 would be worth so much more today, I would have bought a shitload back then. Now that's an investment.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is The Wii going To Kill The Value on NES and SNES Games

This is a good point. As collectibles, video games have very poor resale value. Since it's been mentioned before in this thread, let's take Chrono Trigger as an example. By all standards it is one of the more expensive games for the SNES, but even so, it is still cheaper than it's original price! I bought Crono Trigger for $80 when it was new- the $60 price point that's been batted about here is $20 less than that. I'd say that only about 1% of all video games book higher than their original MSRP. If you want to buy collectibles for investment purposes, video games are a poor choice.
    What are you talking about? you say you bought your Chrono Trigger NEW for 80 dollars when it was released. Have you ever seen a factory sealed Chrono Trigger sell on Ebay today? How about taking your 80 dollars and multiplying it by 7. Within a period of 10 years the market value of a sealed Chrono Trigger jumped like crazy. Yeah you can get a copy for 60 bucks a cartridge and maybe a complete set for about a hundered or so. But i'll tell you this, if i knew sealed games like Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X3 would be worth so much more today, I would have bought a shitload back then. Now that's an investment.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    So one day you may see all but a few elite games going for $1, and those highly still über rare protos and all still going for a few hundred due to collectors value.
    I think what you're trying to say is that the price people are willing to pay to play something is going to drop in the long run versus what people are willing to pay to collect something won't.... leaving only the significant collectors' items as being the pieces with any real value. Which I would agree with.. my understanding of atari prices over the last 10 yrs is that loose cart prices have dropped while the price for completes has gone up. Same phenomenon.

Similarly, in comics, when the 'price guide' first came out 35 yrs ago a 'good' (beat up) comic was worth 1/3 of a'mint'. Nowadays it's probably more like 1/100. Same idea. The 0.1% of stuff that's special usually just keeps going up. The 99.9% of the rest drops like a rock over time either in absolute terms or in relation to the 'special' items.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    So one day you may see all but a few elite games going for $1, and those highly still über rare protos and all still going for a few hundred due to collectors value.
    I think what you're trying to say is that the price people are willing to pay to play something is going to drop in the long run versus what people are willing to pay to collect something won't.... leaving only the significant collectors' items as being the pieces with any real value. Which I would agree with.. my understanding of atari prices over the last 10 yrs is that loose cart prices have dropped while the price for completes has gone up. Same phenomenon.

Similarly, in comics, when the 'price guide' first came out 35 yrs ago a 'good' (beat up) comic was worth 1/3 of a'mint'. Nowadays it's probably more like 1/100. Same idea. The 0.1% of stuff that's special usually just keeps going up. The 99.9% of the rest drops like a rock over time either in absolute terms or in relation to the 'special' items.