Thread: Phil Harrison compliments Nintendo, speaks on HD vs. HDMI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Phil Harrison compliments Nintendo, speaks on HD vs. HDMI

Edit: Okay, this is now in the OFFICIAL (TM) PS3 thread. Lock'n burn.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=55089

I found this interview quite interesting. Among other things, he says that he thinks Nintendo has gotten things "exactly right" but that they're in a different market.

Also, something that looks like shooting down a reason to go for a PS3:
    "The end user will not notice any quality difference. Perhaps if you were projecting onto a gi-normous screen you might notice some difference, but also not every HD display has HDMI. So we're providing a choice to the consumer."
    View that as you will; I think he's merely saying it's not a reason to discern between units...personally...

It seems like a really insignificant feature but being able to simply slideshow your photos on your tv is actually a really compelling feature of PlayStation 3."
    Hmm.

"The PlayStation 3 60 GB version has Memory Stick slots and you can use Memory Stick as a support mechanism between the PSP and PS3."
    Okay, this is bugging me. I don't have straight yet what all the differences between units are - and they expect average consumers to make that distinction? What happens when Joe who has a Sony camera and wants to transfer data between his PC or PSP and his PS3 buys the 20 GB model? Joe will be angry...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Joe should've done his research, like looking at the back of the box for starters. I'm sure it will be clearly displayed what size the hard drive is, since that's the primary difference that most consumers will be interested in, and the biggest distinction between both units.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasn't there a post on DP not long ago about the use HDMI,HD manufacturers, and copy protection?

I thought you would get the true HD experience if you connect a device with HDMI to a HDTV equipped to handle HDMI. If it were some other connection the HDTV would just downgrade it to a standard quality signal because of the threat to copy protection.

If my memory serves me correct, and this is true, doesnt that force the consumer to either pay for something that wont be utilized correctly (blu ray player) or force the consumer to pay $$$$ for the correct equipment?
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    what size the hard drive is, since that's the primary difference that most consumers will be interested in, and the biggest distinction between both units.

The HDMI plug is actually much more important in the long run than the extra 40 gigs of hard drive space, unless Sony can release a HDMI dongle that actually contains the HDCP chip in it. I currently have 3 TV's that are HDTV's and none of them have a HDMI plug, but I'm still buying the HDMI version because I know that it will be mandatory in a few years to have HDMI, and I'm going to be upgrading my projector either xmas 2006 or 2007, and HDMI will be one of the most important features.

I'm not about to have any of my shit downrezzed. HELL NO.