Thread: Yay for Something Awful

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yay for Something Awful

Anyone familiar with the ROM Pit on Something Awful? They finally reviewed Dr. Chaos, which ranks second as my most despised game behind Muppets: Chaos at the Carnival.

I'm surprised it took this long for them to review it. Furthermore, I'm surprised that good games such as Samurai Pizza Cats and Monster Party made the cut. Okay, Monster Party is probably average, but I don't see how you could possibly call SPC a bad game.

Anyway, sorry if this is perceived as a troll or a flame, but keep in mind that SA is a humor site, so the reviews aren't meant to be taken as gospel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I pretty much swear by SA overall as a website, but I *much* prefer the older ROM reviews over the newer ones by Kevin Wilson. KW is okay, but nothing beats the pure bile spewed by Lowtax, Psychosis or the other classic writers a few years ago.

I do agree that Dr. Chaos is a terrible, terrible game.

I was pretty surprised they gave Deathbots a perfect -50 out of -50. It's bad, but not THAT bad. On a completely side note, my girlfriend named one of our cats Deathbot. That was a tough one to explain to the vet.
    ________
    Marijuana Vaporizers
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg
    I do agree that Dr. Chaos is a terrible, terrible game.
    Actually the original Famicom Disk System version seems to play faster than the US cartridge release - I may be wrong, but it sure felt that way. Actually made the game somewhat enjoyable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

KW is okay, but nothing beats the pure bile spewed by Lowtax, Psychosis or the other classic writers a few years ago.
    Agreed. Lowtax and Psychosis tend to at least get into specifics as to what makes the game bad. Wilson's review of Dr. Chaos just barely covered why the game is so terrible. Most of the jokes aren't going to make sense unless you first explain to your readers why the game is so terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't much care for Something Awful. I already know there are horrible things in this world.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, Lowtax and Psychosis were fantastic at the game reviews. The new ones aren't quite as funny. The rest of the site is still great though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Master Chu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Save for the last 10 or so movie reviews, i have read every review on that site. SA Roxx!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Something Awful's ROM Pit jumped the shark waay before they reviewed Splatterhouse: Naughty Graffiti, apparently, but I really didn't notice until that review. I knew something was off from the review style (and the fact that game got the highest ROM Pit score *ever*).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps they are just running out of good ideas and gags. Speaking of jumping the shark, I would say Photoshop Phriday has as well. The recent additions just weren't as funny. Sure, even all the old ones aren't funny, but at least most of the contributions were creative or imaginative in some way.

The Mega Man Power Up one is especially bad. No humor or creativity whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate something awful, and I'm probably in the minority here. I just don't think they're funny. A bit overrated. Personally, I'd much rather watch crack smoking hamsters fight to the death (now that would be cool).
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, admittedly some of their stuff is hit or miss. For example, most of the content for Art of Warcraft is going to be esoteric for those of us who have never played. Then again, anyone who has played any MMORPG or even D&D can appreciate the article "Case Study on Player's Themselves." From people I've played D&D with, I can easily match them with most of the groups described.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm...ROM Pit needs to review Ankaou (?) Yousai: Relics (FDS), Battle City (Namco/FC), and Bimini Run (Genesis). Though those might not be terribly entertaining.

I'd love to see a good review of the 8-bit Robocop vs. Terminator games.