Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosting a 90s party- what games do you hook up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hosting a 90s party- what games do you hook up?

OK, judging from the forum descriptions, this is where this belongs...

Pop quiz, hotshot- you're hosting a 1990s party, & you decide to have some systems/games for guests to play. Keep in mind that not all your guests may not be that familiar/interested w/ gaming, so you might choose easier, pick-up-&-play games- maybe those "party" titles would be ideal...

You've got many to choose from, everything from the Genesis & SNES on up thru the PlayStation & N64 to the Dreamcast. Do you go w/ say, the top few games for each system regardless of game type, or those that would appeal to your group? Maybe those games that showcased or defined the certain system(s) they're on?

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO???
    (Let's have some suggestions!)
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 games on 2 different systems -- one TV playing Puzzle Bobble, the other with Bomberman. You just can't go wrong with those 2 at a party.

If it's my friends i'd toss in some multiplayer FPS (GoldenEye?), a 2D fighter (SNK vs. Capcom?), and maybe a shooter (pick one, probably on the Saturn)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

If I had one game from each system hooked up at a party:

NES - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game

SNES - BomberMan (With 4-Player Tap)

Genesis - Street Fighter Tournament Edition

Sony Playstation - Blast Chamber (Great party game!)

Sega Saturn - Daytona USA

N64 - Super Smash Bros.

Wow, every one of those titles reminds me of the 90's in so many ways. Ah, the memories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i laugh at the concept of a 90's party

the only nostalgia from that decade should be the very early part, with lots of bubble gum hip hop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

If you have the means, the controllers, and the multitap, then you cannot have a 90's party without 10-player Saturn Bomberman.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Get a Neo MVS and hook up Puzzle Bobble and Neo Bomberman, cant get more 90s than that.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I'd throw in some tournament Mortal Kombat man.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two words: NBA JAM

Seriously, I dug out my 32X version of Tournament Ediation, 4 controllers, and the Team Player adapter and had an absolute blast with a bunch of friends. That game just oozes 90s for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn Beaten with NBA Jam

Throw Smash TV in there as well.

Both SCREAM 90s
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Plenty of Street Fighter II Turbo

...and plenty of Baja Pullovers for your friends to wear!

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A '90s party? That's nonsense. It was like six years ago. Isn't there some accepted standard for how long you have to wait before you can engage in this sort of retro-kitsche stuff with a decade?

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    A '90s party? That's nonsense. It was like six years ago. Isn't there some accepted standard for how long you have to wait before you can engage in this sort of retro-kitsche stuff with a decade?
    Wait, so you're saying my upcoming 2005 party where we listen to the Black Eyed Peas and play Resident Evil 4 and NHL 05 is a bad idea?
    ________
    The cigar boss
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some EA Sports games for Genesis, especially the NHL game where you can make the guy's head bleed (like they did in Swingers)

Kriss Kross: Make My Video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe

...word is bondage...
    Well, 6 years ago was 2000. 7 years ago was 1999. 16 years ago was 1990. I think it's very possible to have a 90's nostalgia party. Am I invited?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if I was going to thow a 90's party and set up video games, I would consider setting up my SNES with the multi tap and Super Bomberman and NBA Jam up in there. The only problem with a Super Nintendo is that it has no coinslots. For 2 player games, I would play them on my MVS machine and they would be Sam sho, Puzzle bob, Metal Slug, and something else, probably Aero Fighters 2. Set the MVS cab to coinplay, put the Super Nintendo away and collect your rent. Serve a lot of beer, tell your guests to bring the herbs and bitches and a lot of quarters and your party is go.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that technically it launched in 1989, but I would try to get a few brick gameboys with tetris linked together and have a sweet Tetris tourney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan
    Sony Playstation - Blast Chamber (Great party game!)
    That is a great game. I almost forgot about it. I've only played it 2 players though becuase I don't have a PS multitap. I'm planning on getting a Saturn multitap soon, I'll probably get a Saturn version of Blast Chamber when I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Re: Hosting a 90s party- what games do you hook up?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    You're hosting a 1990s party, And you decide to have some systems/games for guests to play. Keep in mind that not all your guests may not be familiar/interested with gaming, So you might choose easier, pick-up-&-play games - Maybe those "party" titles would be ideal.

You've got many to choose from, everything from the Genesis & SNES on up thru the PlayStation & N64 to the Dreamcast. Do you go w/ say, the top few games for each system regardless of game type, or those that would appeal to your group? Maybe those games that showcased or defined the certain system(s) they're on?

What would you do?
    For those who would not be familiar with games, i'd choose something simple, Like Virtua Cop (With the gun controller) Wich would be easy to use.

For those who aren't interested, I'd show them the Virtual Boy. A bit hard to play for those uninterested that haven't tried gaming, But very interesting to see the 3D Screen in Mario's tennis.

And, for those who play games, It would be a mixture of stuff that i like and stuff that they like, And i'd ask them to bring over their favorite games, as long as i didn't have them already.

The reason for that is because i may like their favorites and while i'm showing them my faves, They may get to like my favorites aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam. They kinda typify early 90s gaming, and they're easy to pick up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Peanut-Butter
    Two words: NBA JAM
    BOOM Shocka Locka!!! He's on fire!!! "Whuuoooooop!!"
    Dude, that is the best basketball game you can pop in that I know of. The Tournament Edition on the Saturn is for sure ultimate in party time. If there's a sports title to play pop this in for the 90's party and you'll get wide eyes open.

Now, when it comes to 90's I'd go with a LAN of computers as a first option. There's a ton of great multiplayer games on the PC and MAC that can be played over TCP/IP and IPX networking (Even serial!). Some great games to play would be:
    1) Doom
    -You can get some spectacular co-op and deathmatches out of this game. It's nothing too complicated, just aim and shoot while running around getting more ammo and health. Doom 1, 2, 95 and Ultimate all have low requirements so most any computer will run it, plus all you need is Windows 98 or above to have more ease networking.

2) Starcraft / Broodwars
    -I'm sure most everyone has played this and it's a fairly simple RTS game. There's not a vast amount of units to create and there's only 2 resources with food stocks so not too many dimentions to gameplay. You can get up to 8 players, or put people on teams. For example, get 2 teams of people and have a captain playing the game and the others watch giving coaching advise on what tactics to use. Or of course go with an all out brawl FFA. Also you can grab Used Map Settings games and do something random like a Defense, Bunker Wars, RPG, or Snipers game.

3) Command & Conquer
    -Great little game that's a bit more complecated than Starcraft. More units, buildings, but fun campaigns. You can pick up the first decade boxset for $40 and they'll run over the network fast and easy. Of course like you said with some not being gamers, it's a bit more difficult to start out and feel good.

4) Counter-Strike
    -Try the original Counter-Strike and once again it's a great FPS to get burning over a LAN. There's no really high requirements but it is a tad higher than Doom. Get some patches and awesome maps downloaded and get more players in the game than 4.

5) Unreal
    -You can grab the original Unreal dirt cheap and is more graphic intensive than the others of it's time. With all the co-op maps that exist in that multiplayer game, and all the deathmatches it's a sure win to eat up time. Whenever that gets played at my LANs we're in it for a good 4hrs or so. The levels are huge and have some massive bosses that can piss you off with their throwing of rocks and zapping with big guns and rockets. Another easy game to setup on a network as well.

There's a ton of other PC games to look up and people to talk about but feel around and I'm sure you'll find some others. Going over to consules though:

2-players mostly, some turnbase >2P:
    SNES:
    Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Monopoly, Kirby's Avalanche, R-Type, Gradius, Pac-Attack, Warrio Woods, F-Zero, Gun Force, Contra

Genesis:
    Lotus, Double Dragon, Sonic, Pete Sampras Tennis (4 player), Columns, ToeJam & Earl, Moral Kombat, Street Fighter, Super Battleship, Lethal Enforcers,

2-4 players:
    Playstation:
    DarkStalkers, Rollcage Stage 2, Diablo, Gran Turismo, Worms, Bust-A-Move, Area51, Time Crisis, Tekken, Crash Bash (2000 release, but still! Good bumper-ball 4-player)

Nintendo64:
    Bomberman, California Speed, Cruisin' World/Exotica/USA, Wave Race 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Jet Force Gemini, Mario Party, Dr. Mario 64, F-Zero X, Goldeneye 007, Quake II, Extreme-G, Bust-A-Move '99

Saturn:
    Street Fighter, Grid Runner, Darius Gaiden, Area 51, Shanghai: Triple Threat, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Bust-a-Move 2, Tetris Plus

Many many other games of course as well exist, but feel around and check it all out.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]