Thread: Metal Gear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Gear

I have never played any of these games for any significant length of time, and I wanted to try one out. I wanted some input on what was the best one to play to decide if I like it or not. I only own MGS2: Substance for PS2 and "The Twin Snakes" for Gamecube, plus at least one of the NES games. Super Smash Bros. always inspires me to play some of the old games that I may have "missed" over the years, which is why I want to play a Metal Gear game.
    I actually played The Twin Snakes for about a half hour and to be honest it did not hook me and was not especially fun. Perhaps I just dont "get it", or perhaps this is simply not my style of game.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

twin snakes is the best one imo. mgs is a slow pace movie with a few game play scenes thrown in crack a cold one and enjoy the show.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my opinion you need to play MGS for the PS. The Twin Snakes remake was actually very detrimental to the game in terms of play control, voice acting, and cinematics, from my point of view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    In my opinion you need to play MGS for the PS. The Twin Snakes remake was actually very detrimental to the game in terms of play control, voice acting, and cinematics, from my point of view.
    Original MGS >>>>>>>>>> Twin Snakes
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something about MGS didn't cut it, but I LOVED MGS2. I beat it in something like 2 days, on a rental. I never bought it, but I still think beating it was good enough. I still havn't played Snake Eater, I should probably get on that. But, if you have those two games, I'd go with MGS2 and see if you like it.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I wouldn't start with MGS2. It has the most "out there" story, and it may turn you away. However, I happen to love it.

As everyone says, MGS:TTS is different from the original MGS. I don't find it as bad as many do, however it surely feels alot different than the original.

My suggestion is to start with the first or third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duuuuddeeee try looking for msx2 roms man! Download the english translation of metal gear 2 solid snake the story and gameplay is great. But the original metal gear solid is great you could get the ps1 version or look around on ebay for the pc version. Personally I thought twin snakes was very cool but the thing was the game just didnt feel quite as addicting as the original, but give it a shot it might be more addicting to a newb to the series rather than someone like me whos played the original countless times through. If you really want to go hardcore (besides getting the original msx carts or mgs3 sub) go for the gameboy color game that game was cool on scale on any other 8 bit game.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Buy PS1 MGs.
    Buy MGS2.
    Buy MGS3 Subsistence.

Play Metal Gear 1 and 2 on Subsistence disc.
    Play MGS.
    Play MGS2.
    Play MGS3.

MGS3 is a prequel but is a lot more enjoyable if you can pick up on the references.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd just stick with what amounts to a high-res version of the PS1 game if I were you! You can even get it for nothing off th' interweb.

Metal Gear?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aye, that would be the PC port of Metal Gear Solid: Integral, the Japanese release that incorporated the VR missions. But I wouldn't bother with the Home of the Underdogs rip; it's missing a lot of the voice work, including the "codecs" that apparently to much to flesh out the characters.

I really would like to try those MSX games out some time, though; I hear they're sensational. There's also an English translation of MSX Metal Gear 1, as apparently some things were cut from the officially-released European version of MSX Metal Gear 1; both vary in some ways from the NES Metal Gear.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    But I wouldn't bother with the Home of the Underdogs rip; it's missing a lot of the voice work
    Really? That's a shame. I've only played a tiny snippet of the HoTU rip (my copy is in a cupboard somewhere at home) and didn't really notice. If you've played the game before it's probably not a show-stopper, but for the first time through you really do need all the voices for the atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    This man speaks the truth..

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I was out searching for PSX games in the wild, just to see what I could dig up. I stumbled across a very minty copy of Metal Gear PSX.

Someone on here has a "sig" that mentions "games are art....etc." and as I fired Metal Gear up and watched the movie-ish opening and then played around in the first heliport level, his sig popped into my head. In the case of Metal Gear for PSX, damned if it ain't true.

The game IS a work of art and presentation-wise, transcends most other games. All that with a 32-bit processor. Kojima was amazing with that one.

Oh....and by the way. My favorite version of Metal Gear are the PSP turn-based card games. I'd love to see a console version.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked Twin Snakes, except for the control. It's tough to manage some of the more delicate situations, like the girders overtop the molten steel.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone on here has a "sig" that mentions "games are art....etc." and as I fired Metal Gear up and watched the movie-ish opening and then played around in the first heliport level, his sig popped into my head. In the case of Metal Gear for PSX, damned if it ain't true.

The game IS a work of art and presentation-wise, transcends most other games. All that with a 32-bit processor. Kojima was amazing with that one.
    As much as I agree with you on that point, Kojima has just done an
    interview with IGN, and all he really talks about are how videogames ARENT art!
    http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/71...44/vids_1.html

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Kojima is also batshit insane.

Play Metal Gear Solid 2 without skipping the stroy and you will undoubtedly understand what I mean. It makes no sense.

That being said, games are just a compilation of art forms made slightly interactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mgs2: The One with Raiden was my first introduction into the series, and I was blown away. Floored. Must play.
    *Insert famous Towlie quote here*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    The original Metal Gear Solid PSX/PSone is the one to play if you are new to the series.

Of course the 32-bit graphics may put off some younger gamers winged on PS2 and Xbox

From Wikipedia about the Twin Snakes Remake on Gamecube:

--------------------------------------------------------

The Twin Snakes received mostly positive reviews from critics [1], though the scores it was given were slightly lower than those given to original Metal Gear titles such as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [2] and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [3]. Metal Gear fans generally agreed it was a quality title, but not one without flaws.[citation needed]

Most of the criticism stemmed from the fact that the structure of the original game was not designed for features from Metal Gear Solid 2 that were included,[citation needed] such as the ability to fire weapons in first-person mode (making what some already called an easy game even easier), hang from ledges, and hide bodies in lockers. The boss Revolver Ocelot, for instance can be defeated with four shots to his head in moments, whereas in the original game he took significantly longer to beat.

Also, some were disappointed with the direction of the new cut-scenes,[citation needed] despite the fact that Ryuhei Kitamura was hand-picked by Hideo Kojima to direct the cinematics. One particularly controversial cutscene involves Snake and Meryl standing for ten seconds just watching what is obviously a sniper's laser sight dancing over Meryl's body.[citation needed] However, proponents argue that the style of the new cut-scenes are more similar to the over-the-top nature of the rest of the franchise.[citation needed]

Metal Gear Solid purists however make a counter-argument against the characterization of Solid Snake. In this particular remake, Snake is portrayed as an acrobatic show-off as opposed to the down-to-earth hero portrayed in Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear Solid 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    The original Metal Gear Solid PSX/PSone is the one to play if you are new to the series.

Of course the 32-bit graphics may put off some younger gamers winged on PS2 and Xbox

From Wikipedia about the Twin Snakes Remake on Gamecube:

The Twin Snakes received mostly positive reviews from critics [1], though the scores it was given were slightly lower than those given to original Metal Gear titles such as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [2] and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [3]. Metal Gear fans generally agreed it was a quality title, but not one without flaws.[citation needed]

Most of the criticism stemmed from the fact that the structure of the original game was not designed for features from Metal Gear Solid 2 that were included,[citation needed] such as the ability to fire weapons in first-person mode (making what some already called an easy game even easier), hang from ledges, and hide bodies in lockers. The boss Revolver Ocelot, for instance can be defeated with four shots to his head in moments, whereas in the original game he took significantly longer to beat.

Also, some were disappointed with the direction of the new cut-scenes,[citation needed] despite the fact that Ryuhei Kitamura was hand-picked by Hideo Kojima to direct the cinematics. One particularly controversial cutscene involves Snake and Meryl standing for ten seconds just watching what is obviously a sniper's laser sight dancing over Meryl's body.[citation needed] However, proponents argue that the style of the new cut-scenes are more similar to the over-the-top nature of the rest of the franchise.[citation needed]

Metal Gear Solid purists however make a counter-argument against the characterization of Solid Snake. In this particular remake, Snake is portrayed as an acrobatic show-off as opposed to the down-to-earth hero portrayed in Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear Solid 2.
    The acrobatic stuff doesn't bother me at all in Twin Snakes. The one scene that destroyed Twin Snakes for me is the Baker scene after Fox flees.

In that scene, they make Snake out to be a crazy bastard. Snake would never resort to threatening the life of Baker, and then subsequently pulling his gun on him to get information from him. Such a horrible idea to put that in the game.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tried playing Twin Snakes...erm, why am I ALWAYS spotted and killed running around on the walkway in the tank garage?! NO!!