Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Uk Gets Rogered from Behind By Sony -- Premium PS3 £425

This is insane.

From Joystiq:
    Sony has officially announced the U.K. price of the Playstation 3 as £425, representing the fully featured PS3 which comes in at $599 in the U.S. and 599 EUR in Europe. GamesIndustry.biz suggests that Sony won't be selling the cut down model over the pond, although this isn't confirmed. The PS3's price in England is higher than the console's price in the United States and Europe but we're not entirely surprised by this: British consumers are used to paying more for their consoles (although traditionally the U.K. gets identical or lower prices compared to Europe). Here's a breakdown of the U.K. premium over U.S. and EU prices:

£109 more than the U.S. "Premium" PS3: the U.S. price is $599 which converts to £316. Take this away from £425 and you're left with a £109 premium.
    £20 more than the EU "Premium" PS3: the EU price is 599 EUR which converts to £405. Take this away from £425 and you're left with a £20 premium
    Now check out the price when compared to the Xbox 360:
    £146 more than Xbox 360 Premium: the Xbox 360 Premium is £279. Take away this figure from the PS3's £425 price and you're left with a £146 premium.
    £206 more than Xbox 360 Core: the Xbox 360 Core is £219. Take away this figure from the PS3's £425 price and you're left with a £206 premium.
    If we were in Sony's shoes, we'd feel very uncomfortable right about now: the combination of a chunky U.S./U.K. price divide combined with the absence of a cut-down PS3 bundle doesn't stack up well against the PS3's main competitor: the Xbox 360. But wait! When we stepped into those Sony branded shoes we forgot to take the free prescription of Prozac hidden in the heel! Ahhh, much better. Now we'd say something similar to the Sony marketing rep tasked with announcing the news:

"I don't think it's an expensive machine; I think actually, it's probably a cheap machine ... If you think a Blu-Ray player by itself might be GBP 600-700, and we're coming in at just GBP 425 - it's a bargain."

Sony's "but it plays Blu-Ray" line works if you're addressing early adopters and hardcore users. However, the British public (the majority of which associate "PlayStation" with games console, and not much more) won't take kindly to hearing "bargain" and "cheap" in the same sentence as "four hundred and twenty five pounds".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was half expecting a price around that number It'll still sell like crazy though. If anything the high price could make it more desirable, sort of like having one is a status symbol.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"I don't think it's an expensive machine; I think actually, it's probably a cheap machine ... If you think a Blu-Ray player by itself might be GBP 600-700, and we're coming in at just GBP 425 - it's a bargain."
    Its true. I remember it was like with with DVD player when the PS2 came. DVD players was very expencive back then. Everything will drop in price tho. About the PS3 being more expencive in the UK, im pretty sure they make more money over there than in USA. The prices gets adjusted of average income.

I wont buy the PS3 at launch. I will wait maybe ½ year for a price drop. But the price isnt that bad considering all the stuff thats inside the PS3. You can try to find the prices for the same stuff seperatly and compare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Believe me when I say this, that is bloody expensive. It's much more than most people over here in the UK would want to spend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I knew Europe were going to pay a hell of a lot more than America but having the UK pay more than the rest of Europe - thats just robbery. If you manage to get your hands on one its probably cheaper to import a US model if you really want one. As Sony are pushing for region-free games they better not have such a large difference in the price of games also

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

More than half that difference though is VAT (at 17.5%, it's equivalent to US sales tax). I'd imagine some of the rest will be import duty Sony has to pay to bring the machines into Europe to sell as well.

And that my friends, is just one reason why I import: I can get stuff earlier, and cheaper if it escapes tax

Insert Coin (Level 0) playgeneration's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

£425 is a whole lot of money, but then it doesnt stop there, most people want one maybe two games with their new console. And the games are most likely going to be £50 a go

ps3 and 1 game= £475
    and 2 games =£525

and how about a 2nd contoller, easily another £20 again

2 games 2 controllers = £545

maybe a couple of blu-rays films to try out, which are probably going to be £20 each, and perhaps a new hidef tv.
    There could either be a huge amount of people getting themselves in to debt just to buy a ps3, or a whole lot of people getting 360's instead. Everyone goes on about the playstation brand and how the public only associate it with gaming, but xbox and nintendo are massivley well known and could easily topple the giant.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is North America the cheapest or the smartest region?

Country 20gb/60gb price = $US Dollar exchange

Britian ???/425 = $???/802
    Europe 499/599 = $640/766
    Australia 829/999 = $634/764
    Japan 59800/????? = $539/???
    USA 499/599 = $499/599
    Canada 549/659 = $489/588

(all numbers from x-rates.com and wikipedia)
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That price is a disgrace. It really is. But it kinda makes sense.
    Wasnt the Ps2 around £400 at release?
    That was after a few revisions to make manufacture cheaper,
    which in a a simultaneous launch PS3 wont have.

But, isnt the PS2 DVD playback supposed to be poor
    compared to dedicated players anyway?
    So I'd assume that so would PS3s blu-ray playback. Im no real tech head or hi fi nut,
    but the early blu ray adopters probably
    wont care about price, because they have to have the best, first.
    PS3's blu ray probably wont be that, and as the early adopters are generally the hardcore,
    then the 'it's a blu ray player too' argument seems a lot weaker to me.

Still, with a price like that, I wont feel bad about not buying one.
    Maybe when the slimline version comes out.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco
    So is North America the cheapest or the smartest region?
    The US price is before tax, all the others are after. Will make a difference once you add that on

(and that tax levels on goods outside the US are higher as well)

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Its true. I remember it was like with with DVD player when the PS2 came. DVD players was very expencive back then. Everything will drop in price tho. About the PS3 being more expencive in the UK, im pretty sure they make more money over there than in USA. The prices gets adjusted of average income.

I wont buy the PS3 at launch. I will wait maybe ½ year for a price drop. But the price isnt that bad considering all the stuff thats inside the PS3. You can try to find the prices for the same stuff seperatly and compare.
    That'd be true if they were releasing the conosole in 2015 when the market has reached an HD penetration level worthy of an updated HD movie format. As of now, it's so incredibly niche that a new format is absolutely worthless to the average consumer.

It can be argued that the release of the PS2 put DVD into the mass market, and that was only 7 years ago (at the time the PS3 launches). Seven years for a physical media format is nothing. VHS lasted an easy 15 years in the spotlight and I would expect no less from DVD. The market simply isn't ready for this technology, so no matter how you slice it, being forced into a premature format is in no way, shape, or form a bargain.

At least MS is giving you an option.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless of price this thing is going to sell like mad. I work in a game shop and the amount of attention this gets from all the chavs and suit wearing, PSP carrying office boys is ridiculous! Everybody here was expecting to pay around the £450 mark before the price announcement so most folk seem to be happy about it (really!)!! It's almost like getting half a game for free :P

What is interesting is that nobobdy actually talks about specific games - just about the graphics the machine can produce. Some things never change...
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist

That'd be true if they were releasing the conosole in 2015 when the market has reached an HD penetration level worthy of an updated HD movie format. As of now, it's so incredibly niche that a new format is absolutely worthless to the average consumer.

It can be argued that the release of the PS2 put DVD into the mass market, and that was only 7 years ago (at the time the PS3 launches). Seven years for a physical media format is nothing. VHS lasted an easy 15 years in the spotlight and I would expect no less from DVD. The market simply isn't ready for this technology, so no matter how you slice it, being forced into a premature format is in no way, shape, or form a bargain.

At least MS is giving you an option.
    In 2015 a Blu-Ray player wont cost like £500, so no, it wouldnt be true then. The quote only apply to when the PS3 and a standalone Blu-Ray player is released, not in 2015.

You know that a Blu-Ray player also can play normal DVD right? And what i said is true. If you want to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player when it comes out you have to pay ALOT. Compare this price to the PS3 and you will see. More and more people get HD-TVs so its not worthless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Ok, you lost me. Chavs?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: i thought the comment was for me, but i see someone else said something now Fattaru bre means "do you understand, man" i case anyone wondered hehe :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

You know that a Blu-Ray player also can play normal DVD right? And what i said is true. If you want to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player when it comes out you have to pay ALOT. Compare this price to the PS3 and you will see. More and more people get HD-TVs so its not worthless.
    The price of a standalone blu-ray player is moot, because it's completely unknown to the average consumer. Yes, I'm aware that initial blu-ray players will be incredibly expensive. But you know what? In a year, they'll be shitty. Just like the DVD drive in the PS2 was, just like the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 will be. You can't honestly think they're giving you any form of quality in the 8 billion components they're putting in there, do you?

The point is that EVERYONE is being forced to pay for something that less than 1% of the population can EVEN USE, let alone want. It might be up to somewhere around 2% by now, but it's nowhere near deserving of a dedicated media.

Sony at this point has far, far more riding on the success of Blu Ray than the do the success of the PS3, and they're going to capitalize on the willingness of consumers to actually pay some extrordianry price for the PS3 to carry their number one priority.

It's the gamers and the games that lose this time.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, the quality on the first DVD players sucks compared to the ones you can get today (that have about the same price range as the first dvd players had when they got out). But i never mentioned anything about this. I just said to compare the prices.

About the 1%, i have no idea about that. All i know it depends on where you live. Over here i know that more and more people buy plasma and LCD TVs. How its worldwide, i dont know.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking. Sony may be using car saleman tactics. Example you tell them you want a monthly payment of 350 they come back and say 625. You balk then they come back and say 500 and you bite. They tell you an outrageously high price and blow you away and at The last minute come back with an adjusted price that doesn't look as bad as the first quote but way more than you would normally pay. That form of psycology gets people all the time. If the gamecube can change it's name ps3 can adjust its price.
    Or Sony just plain crazy. I will go with the latter considering they released a handheld for 250.00.
    neo geo system

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Ok, you lost me. Chavs?
    Sorry, chav is a British colloquelism. A chav (sometimes called a ned) is, usually poor trendy person who takes drugs and has illegitimate children. A course description but pretty true in general!

Check out this site:

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/

Maybe this will enlighten you!
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

That's a new site on me... there is also this http://www.chavscum.co.uk