Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long is too long on ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im going to agree with the nazi statement. The other day I put a Marvel vs Capcom 2 on ebay with a BIN of $75 and free shipping. 4 days later the guy emails me complaining he hasn't recieved his game yet.

I gave him free shipping and he still complains...

Its getting to be a pain sometimes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That happens all the time. I buy and sell all the time on ebay. Things pop up and its difficult to get to post office before it closes. Who's the genius that closes the Post office same time as you are supposed to leave from work? Then they wonder why their losing business to the Postal stores. Only way a system or game should take that long is if he's shipping by media mail or something slower. Check the date sent sticker for a clue on which way he sent it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah dude, leaving a neutral would be a dick move. It's only two weeks and he might just be busy with stuff during the week or not have the packaging material or whatever.

At least he's upfront with you telling you when he's gonna ship and everything.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Well if you would give a neutral for someone that got a little caught up with something and took four days to get a package out - then you should get one yourself for not reading auction terms.

The lady giving me the controllers.. she didn't even accept paypal. I was rushing to get the controllers, and didn't even notice this (never ran into a nonpaypaller on ebay)
    Too many damn eBay nazi's lately.
    Um... what?
    He's saying that you're being extremely unreasonable. And he's 100% correct.

YOU didn't read the Seller's auction terms before you bid, it's YOUR fault, simple as that. Man up, send her a money order, and quit complaining.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that lady who opened up a paypal account for you and shipped super fast sure is a nice person. I don't think you can expect people to ship as soon as someone has won their auction and paid. I've never sold anything on ebay and if i did i wouldn't be expected to be treated like a shop with super fast service. I buy things on ebay and notice some sellers put "buyer must pay within three days" on their auction terms. Now, as a buyer, i sometimes pay straight away if i'm on the internet and/or excited about the auction. Sometimes I may take a few days to pay but not often. Sometimes stuff does get in the way. You have to remember you are dealing with individuals and not a store. I don't trust the postal service to deliver things quickly anyway, they've been slow as hell around here recently. Apart from a couple of things I bought from online stores. I was actually surprised to see things in my mailbox and then realised I ordered something. I put in the order expecting them to take longer than they did and got them well before i needed to use them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessChris
    At least he's upfront with you telling you when he's gonna ship and everything.
    Exactly, he's keeping you informed which is more than most do. Nothing annoys me more than when a buyer or seller sends me cryptic e-mails about payment or when my items were shipped.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Well if you would give a neutral for someone that got a little caught up with something and took four days to get a package out - then you should get one yourself for not reading auction terms.

The lady giving me the controllers.. she didn't even accept paypal. I was rushing to get the controllers, and didn't even notice this (never ran into a nonpaypaller on ebay)
    Um... what?

YOU didn't read the Seller's auction terms before you bid, it's YOUR fault, simple as that. Man up, send her a money order, and quit complaining.
    I think you guys read that wrong. I was going to send a money order/cashier check. I wasn't mad at her for not having paypal. I made the mistake of not reading the bottom, because it was all quite rushed. It happens. After noticing this, I just told her I would have liked to have it by the weekend, but I'll send out the check tomorrow. So she opened up a paypal account. I didn't tell her to. How is that unreasonable? By agreeing to her terms and her being really nice and doing that for me? A great ebayer.

I think it's safe to say we can close this now unless there are some juicy ebay stories of waiting 6 months for something to be shipped. It seems most of you have horrible service with ebay and expect these kinds of things. Most of what I'm saying was in jest anyway (including title of topic).

I'm not mad at the guy. I'm not unreasonable. I'm not leaving him a neutral.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I don't know, you guys need to learn how to read instead of just assuming all sorts of stuff. I don't see anything that Ponyone said that seems unreasonable. He never said that he was gonna try and squeeze any refund or anything out of this seller. He was just asking our opinion of whether we thought the shipping delay was unreasonable.

Personally, I think it is unreasonable.

It's not horrible, but like Ponyone, whenever I sell something I always try to ship it out within one or two days and on occassions when it's taken me longer, I usually add some little freebie to the package and apologize profusely to the buyer.

However, in this case, it's not really the four days between the auction's ending and the seller shipping that's unreasonable. It's that the seller must be using some really slow shipping method, but still charging $20 to ship a system. That's unreasonable. If he had used USPS Priority, it wouldn't have cost more than $20 to ship and the system would be in Ponyone's hands by now after being sent on the 13th (even if it didn't really go out until the 15th). Is UPS Ground really that slow? If it is, then it can't be that expensive, right? He should have used something faster if he's charging that much for shipping, especially if he couldn't ship the item out within a day or two.

So, yeah, it's too bad. Not bad enough to do anything about it, but bad enough to bitch and moan about, I'd say.

...word is bondage...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Not to be an ass, but it wasn't exactly wise of your girlfriend to be shopping for your birthday on eBay just 5 days before the date in the first place. I think if she had been shopping at least a couple weeks in advance, this wouldn't be an issue. You also make it sound like it was after she won the auction that she was requesting priority mail and such, but if you really need an item by a certain date, this should be discussed with the seller and agreed upon before you even bid.

Anyway, if you normally receive everything you buy within 2-4 days after paying, you must have exceptional luck. Either that or you tend to buy from large stores on eBay and now that you bought from a regular Joe Shmoe, you expect the same service.

I think most people who whine about shipping time on eBay need a wider perspective on things. We always hear "But *I* always get a package out within 1 or 2 days." That's great, that's you. Do you honestly expect everyone to have the same lifestyle and/or same services in their neighborhood? People get so accustomed to what they have that they can't even fathom that it's different elsewhere. I am continued to be surprised at how most people don't even know that not ALL US post offices are open on Saturdays. People just naturally assume that they all are open the same days and same times. Or they may assume that it's possible for everyone to mail small packages from their home, right out of the mailbox, assuming they have the postage. Well, guess what, not everybody can do that either. In some areas, you can only receive mail in your mailbox, not send. Or it may be assumed that everyone has a post office close by or at least a car to get to one quickly. Or that someone would be able to go to the post office before work/school, right after, or on a break. Or that everybody has somebody they can get to do their mailing for them.

There are TONS of legitimate reasons why the average person would not be able to get a package out immediately. I think if someone has mailed a package out within a week, they've done fine. Longer than that, well, hopefully they have a reasonable excuse. Either way, though, all that should be done at most is communicating in order to understand what may be causing a delay and confirming that it has or will be mailed shortly. Leaving a neutral? Gimme a break. The ONLY times I've left neutrals is when a transaction couldn't end successfully but not because of the person's own choice, like when a guy sent me a kind of payment I couldn't accept and then after returning it he fell into financial problems, or when a seller had the item I bought stolen out of her backpack and refunded my payment, or when another seller was having all these family issues that prevented her from selling me the items and also refunded my payment. THOSE are reasons to leave a neutral, not because some seller took four measly days to mail a package. :/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I only buy from ebay stores when I need a part or batteries for something

I always deal with "joe schmoes" and I always get my packages on time.

She should have shopped sooner because I'm worth it, but she didn't have the money at the time and there's 3 birthdays in my friends/family in May + mother's day, so I get scumped a lot.

If you're gonna sell on ebay, I expect you to at least be prepared for the end of the sale. Or at least say in the listing that it will take awhile to ship. If he has no post office, then he should say something.

It's like having a garage sale and not having change. Why are you having a garage sale and not being prepared? I know you're not an established business, but come now.

Again, I am not leaving him a neutral.

I guess I am extremely lucky, or just deal with people who know how to run things.

This is getting extremely silly now.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

She should have shopped sooner because I'm worth it
    I really hope that this is sarcasm again. Anyway, case closed I guess. If you can't accept that sometimes normal people who aren't running a business might take a few days to get to the post office, I guess that's up to you. Just prepare to be disappointed, that's all.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I can accept that, but at the very least put it in the auction, or at least email me and say you'll ship it off in 4 days.

Just because you're not running a business doesn't mean you can't have good business ethics. I am not running a business on ebay, but I ship that day/day after. I pay as soon as I buy. I don't gouge shipping prices. If I am ever late, I keep up good communication. I'm just a normal schmoe, but I realize if I'm selling something, I have a responsibility to keep my customer happy. Otherwise, I won't sell.

Why pay an inflated 20 dollars for 2 weeks worth of shipping? He could at the very least have shot me an email saying that he couldn't make it due to whatever it was due to.

Why do I have to expect this from people?

You all seem very jaded to the ebay experience. Sheesh.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics

Um... what?

I think you guys read that wrong.
    Whoops, you're correct. My apologies, I missed the part earlier in the thread where you explained about her opening paypal, etc. Carry on.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

It's alright quite alright.

Sooo.. anyone have any super bad ebay/internet buying and selling stories? Unless this topic should be closed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Ponyone"
    Sooo.. anyone have any super bad ebay/internet buying and selling stories? Unless this topic should be closed.
    fraid not but i learnt something new:

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    In some areas, you can only receive mail in your mailbox, not send.
    Wow, in America you can send mail from the mailbox in front of your house? Thats a pretty impressive service. I'm pretty impressed with that, although thinking about things, I don't know if it would make posting letters more convenient as there's normally a postbox about 5-10mins walk away here anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you even have a real 8-5 job? I could not ship anything during my 8-5 job, everything would have to wait till sat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I think you guys read that wrong. I was going to send a money order/cashier check. I wasn't mad at her for not having paypal. I made the mistake of not reading the bottom, because it was all quite rushed.
    I didn't read anything wrong, you didn't read the auction terms before bidding and winning the auction. She more than likely opened a PayPal account because she figured you'd turn into a problem buyer over something like a couple controllers. That happens too "fine, whatever - just pay and move on."

That's happened when I've sold things in the past, said UPS Ground only and then the buyer had an APO address. "It's still a valid US zip code!" mm-hmm, and those aquatic UPS trucks will roll it right out to you. I went down to the post office, wasted my time (I was using a local shipping center back then), filled out the customs form, sent it to him - then blocked his ID from my auctions. Should see if she blocks you after your business is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    If he had used USPS Priority, it wouldn't have cost more than $20 to ship and the system would be in Ponyone's hands by now after being sent on the 13th (even if it didn't really go out until the 15th). Is UPS Ground really that slow? If it is, then it can't be that expensive, right? He should have used something faster if he's charging that much for shipping, especially if he couldn't ship the item out within a day or two.
    Last system I sent via USPS Priority (a boxed Odyssey 2) cost $26 and that was before the postage hike.

With my eBay auctions as well as my stuff I sell in the Buying and Selling forum here and off my site, I ship everything within at least 48 hours of payment arrival. That's just me, I can keep that schedule, and I say that upfront. Sometimes delays come up and I scale it to 72 hours - but I'm always upfront about it. If a seller doesn't say "your item will be shipped _____" then they can take their sweet time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Ebay shipping story four you.
    I listed a cd set on ebay and it was won by a Canadian...not a problem. Boxed it up and took it to the UPS store near my work and shipped it off. The guy behind the counter asked me what was in it and the value. I said 10 cds valued at $150. About 4 days later i get an email from the buyer saying that Canadian customs is charging her $200 for importing this item. How can this be? Apparently the computer at the shipping store multiplied the amount of cds by the value of the set giving it a value of $1500. After going back and forth with UPS and Canadian customs for about 3 weeks trying to get the item back so I can reship it with the correct value, Canadian customs says "no, someone owes us $200 and it dosent go anywhere until its paid." The owner of the UPS store finally had enough and was going to just pay me the value of the auction wich was more than what customs was asking for and giving up the package as lost in transit. He really didnt want to give Canadian customs any money. I then asked him to go ahead and pay them so the lady could get her cds and it would be cheaper for him. In total it took about 5 weeks for the lady to get her package.

now i no longer ship outside the US.
    [img]http://card.mygamercard.net/graboidxxx.jpg[/img]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I think you guys read that wrong. I was going to send a money order/cashier check. I wasn't mad at her for not having paypal. I made the mistake of not reading the bottom, because it was all quite rushed.
    I didn't read anything wrong, you didn't read the auction terms before bidding and winning the auction. She more than likely opened a PayPal account because she figured you'd turn into a problem buyer over something like a couple controllers. That happens too "fine, whatever - just pay and move on."

That's happened when I've sold things in the past, said UPS Ground only and then the buyer had an APO address. "It's still a valid US zip code!" mm-hmm, and those aquatic UPS trucks will roll it right out to you. I went down to the post office, wasted my time (I was using a local shipping center back then), filled out the customs form, sent it to him - then blocked his ID from my auctions. Should see if she blocks you after your business is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    If he had used USPS Priority, it wouldn't have cost more than $20 to ship and the system would be in Ponyone's hands by now after being sent on the 13th (even if it didn't really go out until the 15th). Is UPS Ground really that slow? If it is, then it can't be that expensive, right? He should have used something faster if he's charging that much for shipping, especially if he couldn't ship the item out within a day or two.
    Last system I sent via USPS Priority (a boxed Odyssey 2) cost $26 and that was before the postage hike.

With my eBay auctions as well as my stuff I sell in the Buying and Selling forum here and off my site, I ship everything within at least 48 hours of payment arrival. That's just me, I can keep that schedule, and I say that upfront. Sometimes delays come up and I scale it to 72 hours - but I'm always upfront about it. If a seller doesn't say "your item will be shipped _____" then they can take their sweet time.
    I'd become a problem buyer because I told her I was sending a check out the next day? Yeah, I was a real trouble maker. All I basically told her was "I'll send out the check tomorrow, but I would have liked the controllers by saturday."

I didn't say "listen lady, you don't accept paypal. You're trash. You're so glib. I have your daughter. Please send the controllers by saturday or she takes a dirt nap. Genesis does what Nintendon't."

She's going to block me after agreeing to the terms? You're nutty.

You're really trying to vilify me here over nothing at all, so I'm going to ignore this post from now on.

Yes I have a regular 9-5, plus my own online business.. and I still ship it like a polaroid pictcha.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You all seem very jaded to the ebay experience. Sheesh.
    My guess is that this thread is just full of people who consider themselves "eBay sellers" and so have some sort of wrong-headed sympathy for other sellers. I don't know where that comes from, personally. I've sold tons of stuff on eBay, probably as much as I've bought, but I don't have any sympathy for sellers. The sum of my experiences has taught me that there's way more shady sellers on eBay than there are shady buyers (and, in any case, that both groups combined make up less than 1% of the people on eBay anyway).

If a seller doesn't say "your item will be shipped _____" then they can take their sweet time.
    Sure they can. And Ponyone can be frustrated by it and bitch about it on this forum. And you can get snippy and stupid in response to his bitching. And I can think you're all idiots. Everyone's free to do whatever the hell they want, but that doesn't mean that it's all okay. Sometimes we're free to do stuff that sucks and it's up to us as individuals to make the decision not to.

...word is bondage...