Thread: this is ridiculous...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default this is ridiculous...

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84488

ok, seriously, what the f***???

you're killing this guys great effort to compile a top100 nes games (which is currently at 90 and damn close to completion) because there's a 3 year old top50 list based on a totally different system that was done by a user who's not active here anymore?

that's just ridiculous, and i know i'm not the only one with that opinion... fine, let him to his topic again on a different board, DP apparently doesn't have any interest in classic games discussion anymore....

and no, i'm not doing this because my snes list was also closed, it's a f**** punch in the face of this guy who put a lot of effort into compiling his list!!

and no, this should not be handled per pm, it's of public concern
    -Jan

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but what would you propose we do? How long is an acceptable time to wait before starting a duplicate poll?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. This is a cool site, but everytime you get into an interesting topic, it ends up closed and a topic from 2003 is drug up.

Crazy.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but what would you propose we do? How long is an acceptable time to wait before starting a duplicate poll?
    the point is, it's not even duplicate, it significantly differs from the old one (voting system, top100 instead of 50), PLUS the old one is completely dead and in all honesty not quite a nice effort overall
    -Jan

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is insane, that topic should NOT have been locked.

There's things in the past that can be added to, but there's things people like to talk about.

If you were gonna lock the thing and make people look at the old list, why the hell didn't you do it back when he started it?

I understand the fact that you don't want duplication, but the "search" function is sketchy at best.

This thread should NOT have been locked, and should be unlocked.

This pisses me off almost as much as when i compiled a complete - at the time - JP DC list on the EZboard and was completely ignored.

UNLOCK THE THREAD AND LET HIM FINISH

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Chill out, folks. Give us some time to come up with a plan for handling this. Upon deliberation we can always unlock it again, but as a moderation team we need to come up with a rule for handling these going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Chill out, folks. Give us some time to come up with a plan for handling this. Upon deliberation we can always unlock it again, but as a moderation team we need to come up with a rule for handling these going forward.
    thx for actually taking this serious and thinking about it, hope you find a good way to handle it. and thanks for not closing this topic
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Sorry but I have to jump in and agree here. The topic in question (HardcoreGamer's) was open and pretty active for almost an entire month. The mods didn't catch it when it was started, and it grew to be 3 pages long. At that point, closing it seems like a serious disservice to the people participating in it.

I also have to agree that if the user who was originally maintaining a "Top 50" list for any system ceases to be an active member, it would seem that a new thread would be warranted. If the original thread that was linked to was either still being actively maintained, or the OP in that thread was interested in keeping up his or her list, then I would understand.

My solution to something like this might be to have top 50 lists for every system be board-run instead of user-run, so that if whoever was in charge of maintaining it left, someone else could simply take over.

Chris

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Joe....

It just doesn't seem right that this topic has been on Page 1 since it was created, and suddenly is locked.

The basic problem is this - a 'classic' topic pops up, most people pass over it without ever reading it, so there's almost no point in adding any discussion to it.

Yet, when new topics are started, lockorama happens, referring people to a topic from five years ago... which most people ignore...

There's no reason not to keep old topics around, but there really should be a "death age" on an old topic and let people talk about it again.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I abide by whatever decision is made here, and I wasnt even participating in this thread, however I don't see this as a duplicate topic. It shares common traits of another topic, but is indeed different. In my opinion, the lock should be removed.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hydrox, thanks for posting that. It took some balls to speak up for "injustice" which I agree that this case is.

I also give credit to the mods for talking this over among themselves and letting us know in advance an UNLOCK is feasible, once they sort the matters out within their moderating circles.

It's like the baseball umpire who makes a bad call, and refuses to change the call, even if the other ump's knew it was the other way around. Sometimes they will actually get together on the field and reverse the decision. It happens more often in NBA than MLB.

But nice to see it on DP too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: this is ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84488

ok, seriously, what the f***???

you're killing this guys great effort to compile a top100 nes games (which is currently at 90 and damn close to completion) because there's a 3 year old top50 list based on a totally different system that was done by a user who's not active here anymore?

that's just ridiculous, and i know i'm not the only one with that opinion... fine, let him to his topic again on a different board, DP apparently doesn't have any interest in classic games discussion anymore....

and no, i'm not doing this because my snes list was also closed, it's a f**** punch in the face of this guy who put a lot of effort into compiling his list!!

and no, this should not be handled per pm, it's of public concern
    So what did the mod who locked it say when you PM'ed him and asked him about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i never said there were pm's, nor was there a question to ask the mod
    -Jan

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    I also give credit to the mods for talking this over among themselves and letting us know in advance an UNLOCK is feasible, once they sort the matters out within their moderating circles.
    Sure.

After doing the classic discussions index, I became painfully familiar with all the threads in there. So much so, that everytime I saw a repeat in classic gaming (where I'm not a mod), I pulled my hair a little bit.

I saw the top NES thread when it was pretty well along (a couple of pages). I don't recall if I posted in that thread at all, but my thinking was it was pretty far along, let it go.

Then today I saw a top whatever SNES thread and a top NEOGEO thread, so I got in touch with Chandler and asked "What's going on with all these Top XX threads". So don't blame him, blame me.

In the past Joe has directed these threads to the existing topics in classic discussions, so I thought I was following along with tradition. I didn't intend for GAC to lock the NES thread which was pretty far along, but I didn't express that so that's my fault. I apologize.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

At least you fessed up.

Truthfully, the site's been around for ages. Things will be talked about many times over. A week, or at most a month, you see many that fall into the same category, it may be necessary. But to lock successfull posts like that one is unnecessary. Worrying about other posts similar to it referring to other consoles is unnecessary. Locking In the last few months has sucked. No new blood to discuss with. Too many "Chain that" posts may get on some people's nerves, but seriously, If you aren't interested or annoyed by it. Go out and talk with your friends, do something or bring something up to communicate what you want to. Bitching about it or just "locking it up" Is stupid.

Regardless of what people think, just shut up and let people talk about stuff. If you don't like it, move on. If you hate someone for [insert retarded Nerd-like grievance here], PM the Fuck out of them.

People hate their job and paying taxes, get bored and have nothing to do, get problems with their significant other. It still doesn't change the fact that people will still bring up the same ideas and conversations that we all come familiar with.

In the end, just relax. If Counting posts is your life, get a new one. And quit irritating everybody.

Damn, I should be a moderator!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As long as the new thread is moving along I would vote to let it continue. Even if it is similar to an older thread, many of us weren't around to contribute to it. Also, people almost get as upset for bumping an old thread as they do for starting one that's just like the one that was done back in 03.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El
    In the end, just relax.
    After reading your post, I could throw this line right back atcha. Can we check the vitriol at the door? Joe's already said it's under discussion. Flaming certainly isn't going to help change minds.

Just a thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    As long as the new thread is moving along I would vote to let it continue. Even if it is similar to an older thread, many of us weren't around to contribute to it. Also, people almost get as upset for bumping an old thread as they do for starting one that's just like the one that was done back in 03.
    That's right. I always see an old thread get bumped by a new post and people immediately post "why are posting in this old thread?", or "Hey thanks for bumping a 2 year old topic!?"

The fact is there is no right move. It's the main reason I dont start a lot of topics.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could the older threads, say pre 2004 without recent posts be added to an archive?
    Lots of other websites do this, and while it wouldn't work for some forums, it might work for Classic.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El
    Regardless of what people think, just shut up and let people talk about stuff.
    .....Damn, I should be a moderator!
    By this logic, why even have moderators? Let everyone post whatever they want, let classic gaming get bogged down with twenty top XX lists that have already been done, let people bitch about everything under the sun in OT, let spammers spam (hey Flack have you been counting all the thank you notes for shutting down the spammers?), let everyone who buys SOTN for a dollar at the local flea start a new thread, let everyone who posts in B+S bump their threads every ten minutes, let everyone who doesn't know the difference between AES and MVS ask the question, let everyone ask for ROMS, let everyone ask for the Konami code, let everyone call each other dicks and motherfuckers, etc.

I thought we already had the discussion about locked threads in OT. Yeah, we did.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84852

As I said before, Hyrox's grievance is valid and I apologize. There have been instances where I locked a thread and was persuaded to unlock it or move it through PM. I'm sure the same is true for GAC and other mods. But there are those who would project whatever authority issues they happen to have on the the DP mods, who will not even be satisfied by an open discussion of moderation issues. They view this forum not as an opportunity for discussion, but an opportunity to avenge the bosses/teachers/girlfriends/mothers/fathers/policemen they have been "victimized" by. In their own defense it is the moderators who are the "little people with a lot of power" in this context, who get off on locking threads and putting noobs in their place. Supposedly the mods are behind the scenes, rubbing their left and right palms together over the opporunity to criticize/silence/ban all those very important people who they obsess over every waking hour. In reality, the mods are carrying out a game plan mapped out by our leader, Joe, who for some reason is always above criticism. In reality, mods are just doing their jobs. It is the invention of the chronic losers in life and other mental midgets that any mod can give two shits what they say, what they post, or what they do. Who were the last ten people banned from DP? I can name two (zmweasel and Dr. Brinn)? Just imagine how important those other eight people are to me or anyone else.