Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: this is ridiculous...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan

But Joe, had he PMed a mod, would that one mod make things better? Hydrox has chosen to voice his opinion, one that many DP members happen to agree with.
    I'm confused. I thought Hydrox's issue was that this specific thread was locked.

Hydrox has provided us a way to share some of our thoughts openly. If you consider your forum a democracy, what is wrong with freedom of speech? I don't recall him BLASTING the moderators, but rather, bringing to attention a very important matter.
    Didn't we alread do this in OT? In a thread *you* posted in?

Oh, and posting a thread called "this is ridiculous" is blasting.

I find it interesting that the only ones on the defensive side of this thread happen to be the mods. As if humanity is incapable of making mistakes.
    Confused, me, again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

But Joe, had he PMed a mod, would that one mod make things better? Hydrox has chosen to voice his opinion, one that many DP members happen to agree with.
    I'm confused. I thought Hydrox's issue was that this specific thread was locked.
    Yeah it was, and for him to merely tell one mod that he ALONE is upset with it being locked, I find it hard to believe that anything would be done about it. I know this based on experience, not theory.

Hydrox has provided us a way to share some of our thoughts openly. If you consider your forum a democracy, what is wrong with freedom of speech? I don't recall him BLASTING the moderators, but rather, bringing to attention a very important matter.
    Didn't we alread do this in OT? In a thread *you* posted in?

Oh, and posting a thread called "this is ridiculous" is blasting.
    Oh yes, we did this already in another thread, maybe you should lock this one now and redirect us.

I find it interesting that the only ones on the defensive side of this thread happen to be the mods. As if humanity is incapable of making mistakes.
    Confused, me, again.
    I'm sorry you're so confused. What exactly are you confused about?
    [/quote]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah it was, and for him to merely tell one mod that he ALONE is upset with it being locked, I find it hard to believe that anything would be done about it. I know this based on experience, not theory.
    My experience is that typically when I lock something if there's a good reason to unlock it I do it, or at least run it by the other mods. I'd say out of roughly ten requests I've had to unlock threads, 8 of them ended up unlocked. Being Chandler, who happens to be one of the nicest, friendliest people I know, is the one who locked it, I'm pretty sure he would have reconsidered if someone PMd him (especially given that locking it in the first place wasn't his idea).

Also, given the scenario that about a million people can't sleep at night because these threads were locked, you would think he'd get more than one PM.

Here's the link to the OT discussion about locked threads.

I was confused by your last comment about the mods being on the defense...I didn't know if your statement was supporting the mods or putting them down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Maybe I'm confused now, because my understanding now is that the problem has been resolved.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    I was confused by your last comment about the mods being on the defense...I didn't know if your statement was supporting the mods or putting them down.
    Well, neither really. I was just pointing out that most of the mods are defending themselves rather than agreeing that they might have done something wrong.

Regardless of the way you think things should be handled, I (and many others) are happy that these issues are brought to the forefront. The thing is, we care to much about this forum and this community to stand by idle and let these things happen.

This is obviously a big issue with many different opinions involved. I am just one voice. I hope I have not offended anyone with my support for Hydrox and other like-minded individuals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

C'mon, folks -- the thread is reopened, nobody's out to get anybody, nobody's done anything wrong. A thread was closed, people thought it should be reopened, it was, what's to complain about???

It's a free board, and the mods are volunteers doing this in their free time -- and the problem was fixed. Let's not pile on about it, OK?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, neither really. I was just pointing out that most of the mods are defending themselves rather than agreeing that they might have done something wrong.
    The only ones that had anything to do with locking the threads were me and Chandler.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but what would you propose we do? How long is an acceptable time to wait before starting a duplicate poll?
    the point is, it's not even duplicate, it significantly differs from the old one (voting system, top100 instead of 50), PLUS the old one is completely dead and in all honesty not quite a nice effort overall
    Two questions:

1) Why have you ignored the question above? If you want to come in here and make constructive suggestions, we're listening.
    first let me say i'm quite pissed by the fact that you are allowed to attack me personally once again on the public board without any authority in here interfering, that's the kind of mod behaviour noone wants to see. I know you can't stand me at all, no secret there, but keep it to yourself, ok?
    WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? How is me asking you a question an "attack" ? I don't even know you, I don't recall ever having a problem with you until this very minute.

i did not ignore the question at all.
    You most certainly did.

The question adressed duplicate topics and i pointed out that these two topics have nothing in common other than trying to find the X best games for a system. The whole systems differs and especially with nes and snes it makes a huge difference if 50 or 100 games.
    Wrong, the question asked was HOW WOULD YOU PROPOSE TO MAKE THINGS BETTER?

Yeah, i could have made a suggestion on how to handle this stuff, but truth to be told, i'm NOT a mod here and i do not have to come up with a solution to be allowed to complain about something. Users can point out things going wrong without having the perfect solution at hand, you know?
    No, I don't. If you want to say something sucks, then you ought to be able to back it up with why you think it sucks and how you would improve it.

[quote]
    If your plan instead is to say "the mods suck," you're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

thanks for another attack
    Please explain to me how that is an attack?

Frankly, at this point, I don't have the energy to make any sense of the rest of your ramblings. You're way off base on everything.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

The only ones that had anything to do with locking the threads were me and Chandler.
    My mistake Kid Ice. I was under the impression that more mods were involved.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

My mistake Kid Ice. I was under the impression that more mods were involved.
    Dude, we DO make mistakes. I would think that unlocking a topic that we previously locked speaks volumes to that, and that clearly we admit it.

And a single PM to a single mod DOES make a difference. The moderating team discusses this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

We CARE about the community. Believe me, it would be a lot easier NOT locking topics, NOT moderating, NOT organizing. That kind of chaos might be fun for some visitors but not me, and as long as I pay the bills here, moderating is what moderators will do.

Now, let it go.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I made this comment earlier in the thread, but can I suggest a "Topic Experation Date" to avoid this kind of thing in the future?

I mean, I've been coming around here a long, long time (well, internet-wise) and yes, topics do repeat. 280 "THE PS3 WILL COST 10 BILLION DOLLARS!!!!" threads would destroy this place. However, say I started a "Lee Furie isn't Ariel Andrews!!" thread, yeah, it might be a little out of date - but it also hasn't been talked about in half a decade.

Can we at least say anything that hasn't been added to in say, 2 years is open for new discussion?

In general, I think all of you mods do a good job, and mistakes are made, hell, we're all human. But you may want to consider this.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, I do want to apologize.

I don't think I've ever lashed out at the mods on the board like that before

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe old threads can lock themselves after a year since someone has posted. That way, you can't point and say, "It was done two years ago, continue the discussion here."
    Or maybe a different period of time then a year, I was just throwing it out there.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

By the way, I do want to apologize.

I don't think I've ever lashed out at the mods on the board like that before

I don't think that a lot of people are, It's just coming out that way.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

To be honest, I'm not sure the issue is locking old topics.

The whole point of the Classic Discussions board is to preserve "timeless" type discussions so they can be added to and evolve.

I think the difficulty is finding a way to marry those old discussions with new opinions in a way that allows new input to be weighed, and allows it to affect the original discussion in the same way the input was when the topic was created.

Took a stab at a system on page 1 in my novella.

I don't know what the answer is, that's for people higher up the foodchain than I.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya I'm gonna have to go with hydr0x its a spit in this guys face :L

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya I'm gonna have to go with hydr0x its a spit in this guys face :L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    How is me asking you a question an "attack" ?
    how is "you're part of the problem" not an attack?

i did not ignore the question at all.
    You most certainly did.
    Wrong, the question asked was HOW WOULD YOU PROPOSE TO MAKE THINGS BETTER?
    no, it wasn't. the question was "what would you propose we do? How long is an acceptable time to wait before starting a duplicate poll?". The 2nd question describes what case Joe asked me to propose a solution for. Now, i did point out that that's not even what this case is about, which means i never complained about locking duplicate polls. If i didn't complain about that, why am i supposed to come up with a solution for that?

Frankly, at this point, I don't have the energy to make any sense of the rest of your ramblings. You're way off base on everything.
    yeah, thanks for ignoring the fact that i described in detail why the old thread had nothing to do with this list.
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And a single PM to a single mod DOES make a difference. The moderating team discusses this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
    Joe, i know it does indeed make a difference and it would probably have lead to unlocking his topic but i explained several times already why i think a pm wasn't the right solution in this case.

And with all respect, if you do not want anyone ever to critisize a mod decision on the public board, make a rule like that. It wouldn't really help as the public is not limited to the DP board itself, but if that's how you feel on this topic, make it a rule. Cause the only problem you all seem to have with this topic is that it's public. I did neither attack a single mod personally (i didn't even mention a name) nor did i attack general mod behaviour. All i did was (publically) complain about a single mod decision you later on admitted was a fault. I just don't see how that's against any unwritten rules on the internet or whatever.
    -Jan

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

You didn't break any rules. It's called "common courtesy".

If you don't get it by now, you never will. I'm certainly done trying to explain it to you.

Joe, i know it does indeed make a difference and it would probably have lead to unlocking his topic but i explained several times already why i think a pm wasn't the right solution in this case.

And with all respect, if you do not want anyone ever to critisize a mod decision on the public board, make a rule like that. It wouldn't really help as the public is not limited to the DP board itself, but if that's how you feel on this topic, make it a rule. Cause the only problem you all seem to have with this topic is that it's public. I did neither attack a single mod personally (i didn't even mention a name) nor did i attack general mod behaviour. All i did was (publically) complain about a single mod decision you later on admitted was a fault. I just don't see how that's against any unwritten rules on the internet or whatever.