Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: when was the last time you threw the controller down

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a stockpile of extra non-working genesis controllers that I will smash on occasion. I really does make you feel better

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I tomahawk'd my Genny controller for some reason when I was much younger, it still works just fine, just that there's a little rattle from a piece of broken something in it.

I threw my launch PS2 controller at a wall in my room about a year ago because the X button stopped registering correctly and when playing Amplitude online and getting screwed because it wasn't working when I hit the button was getting me so mad I tossed it. Needless to say it died as the R2 button flew off only to be found 4 months later when I was moving out of the place.

Only two times I've really gotten agressive with any controllers or game things. Not to say that I've not tossed a temper tantrum before when the game was 'cheating' or I was getting owned in some multiplayer game.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suffer from a short temper and have thrown many controllers in my time (well, my methods actually more involve smashing it into the coffee table, but you know)

Just recently its been cod2 veteran on the 360.. frankly all the american campaigns can get fucked. It sucks though, because I think i've smashed the controller so much that it actually only works sometimes now (the battery pack is loose or something), and new wireless controllers are $80 AUD down here... Each time I play cod2 I have to make sure I'm using the fucked controller, so the other one remains intact..

Also God of War has seen my ps2 controller get some serious abuse.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

threw it at some point during Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox. that may have been the only time I've thrown it though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron
    Just recently its been cod2 veteran on the 360.. frankly all the american campaigns can get fucked. It sucks though, because I think i've smashed the controller so much that it actually only works sometimes now (the battery pack is loose or something), and new wireless controllers are $80 AUD down here... Each time I play cod2 I have to make sure I'm using the fucked controller, so the other one remains intact..
    It sounds like you feel the way this guy does: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/44458

Insert Coin (Level 0) JamesAmbrose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    wawazizzle

A few years back I threw my N64 controller while playing Mario Tennis. During it's spiral downward it hit my brother in the head. Heh.

Only time that has ever happened and it shall hopefully be the last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I have actually tossed my controller in the last 3 years was from 1 game, and 1 game alone. I never throw controllers, however this game just got on my nerves so much that I actually spun my controller on the ground and walked off all pissed.

The game in question is:

Midnight Club 2

I was near the end of the game in one of the final races. The game is evil. It sets you up, and knows where you are at in relation to the NPC's (hehe non-player cars).

If any of you have played this game before, let me know if this sounds familiar:

You are almost to the finish line, you have managed to create a pretty decent gap between you and the 2nd place car. You are about 1-2 blocks from the finish line... it's almost over. You are about to cross the street to make the final stretch and.........OH MY GOD A BUS!!!!!!!!!! Suddenly you crash right into a bus that magically appears so it will obstruct your path. You are going so fast there is almost no way to avoid it.

Your car crashes and you make a scramble to get moving again but then EVERY car in the game rushes past you and now you are in last place...

It's like the game calculates how fast you are going and places a bus on the road driving at a speed where it sneaks up on you. It pulls out from a building to the left where you can't even see it coming.

The problem is that this happens... every... single... time...
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got so mad at Super Smash Bros. Melee that I threw the controller with my right hand to my left against the floor. It's a platinum controller, and it hit the carpet so hard and fast that the paint literally melted and left silver paint in the carpet. The controller pulled out carpet fiber when I picked it up and the top of the c-stick was half off. When I tried to play with the controller only one side worked. I took it up to EB and got a new one for free (thank you warranty!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

I didnt throw it as much as I tossed it and said "Forget this"

It was like a week ago and I had just gotten Mad Maestro. Freaking annoying some of the crap you have to deal with in that game.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbox 360.

Ridge Racer 6. I had the good sense to flip it onto the sofa cushion beside me and swear instead. I swear alot while playing Ridge 6. The game is a mother at the end. I'm persisting, but it's fuckin' hard.

I don't do it often but I do remember being totally shocked that I actually smashed a Cube controller into pieces once. I didn't think that a Cube controller could break. I think that it was Super Mario Sunshine that broke the final straw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Another victom of random Xbox Ninja Gaiden violence, right here. I broke a controller because of that game. Great game, but damn frustrating.

All the Mega Man games piss me off, too. Especially the early ones. If you died, you had to start practicaly all the way back at the beginning. And if you did make it to the boss, you'd die there and have to start all the way back at the beginning.

Makes me mad just thinking about it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last controler I destroyed was a PS/2 duleshock.
    Just sort of squeezed it and the screws poped out and some
    sholder buttons went flying.
    But sony are arseholes and controllers STILL cost the same
    as they did at launch so I fixed it with some scotch tape

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh the memories. Its been a long time, I have learned to calm down lol. But the best one, and I regretted it, was with my Vaus controller for Arkanoid back when it was released. Can't remember which levfel, but I stood up and threw the controller as if it were a baseball, against the TV. It cracked, and never worked again.

Still one of my favorite games to this day. Sometimes the things you love most invoke the most passionate of reactions!

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    Just think-with the Wii, you'll be able to throw the controller and actually accomplish something in the game!
    I laughed so damn hard at that!

I punched my thigh (my M.O. when a game pisses me off...I've punched SNES controllers before but not in years) the other day playing NIGHTS Into Dreams. (Why the hell can't I get better than a "D"???)
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just ealier today when I got beat by my girlfriend at double dash...twice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lordnikon wrote:
    It's like the game calculates how fast you are going and places a bus on the road driving at a speed where it sneaks up on you. It pulls out from a building to the left where you can't even see it coming.
    Yep, I suspect several games are like this, Smuggler's Run included (also by RockStar Games).

You're chugging along doing fine when suddenly it seems the game does everything in its power to throw something at you to f--- you up. The Smuggler's Run cops are simply INHUMAN- they stay on you as if tethered to your bumper by a rubber band! I can only get up to the 10th mission & dont have enough time to get to (what I think is) the final pickup point, so I quit out of frustration.

I've also noticed in Midnight Club (dont have the game anymore) that NPC cars in oncoming traffic seem to swerve into/toward you- wouldnt they try to turn AWAY?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    Another victom of random Xbox Ninja Gaiden violence, right here. I broke a controller because of that game. Great game, but damn frustrating.

All the Mega Man games piss me off, too. Especially the early ones. If you died, you had to start practicaly all the way back at the beginning. And if you did make it to the boss, you'd die there and have to start all the way back at the beginning.

Makes me mad just thinking about it.
    hahah, this is why I love emulation so much... save states.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I broke my prized Fountech AirStyle a few months ago playing Culdcept on the PS2. I felt really bad afterwards. Had I have visited the GameFAQ forum BEFORE I got mad I would have known that the AI cheats in this game and maybe it would have been saved.

It all worked out for the better though; because it forced me to order the new Sega branded AirStyle from Lik Sang and I'm happy because it works A LOT better than the old one did.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never broken / thrown a controller in my life..

I think it is kind of strange to take frustration out on an inanimate object x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, I don't batter the pad. I just let out a string of naughty words.

Normally it's just a quick 'f**k' or 'boll**ks' when I loose a life on a shooter.

However, the one game series that consistantly makes me swear: Mario Kart.