Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are there any genre completionists here?

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default are there any genre completionists here?

has anyone here managed to get every single game pertaining to a certain genre? basically, you must own every game that falls under the catagory of (example) beat 'em up, run 'n gun (probably one of the easiest right there), shooter, racing, versus fighter, rpg, tactical-rpg, etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I doubt it because to be able to do such would require owning most if not all console systems. Even if that means it's for a handfull of titles. There are some that have complete collections for systems, there ar ethose who own complete collections for companies, and there are those who own complete collections of genres for any particular system, but I doubt there are many who own entire genres of games for all systems.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    I doubt it because to be able to do such would require owning most if not all console systems. Even if that means it's for a handfull of titles. There are some that have complete collections for systems, there ar ethose who own complete collections for companies, and there are those who own complete collections of genres for any particular system, but I doubt there are many who own entire genres of games for all systems.
    I wouldn't say that. I have a couple friends who are genre completionists. One has almost every wrestling game. One has almost every 2d fighter. And I know a couple people who are working on particular sports genres (Baseball, Football and a couple who are trying to get all the Hockey games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm kind of working on beat 'em ups. at least the console ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The big problem I see with being a genre completionist is trying to define a genre. Look at Shmups -- Is Twinkle Star Sprites a shooter or puzzler? Hell you could make the same case with Ikaruga.

I suppose you could try to do it, but it'd be real hard to get someone to agree with you if you had a complete collection or not. Even something as simple as sports you could dispute -- where do wrestling, UFC-type games fit in? Different, or are they sports games?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id say its near impossible. Imagine getting all those old PC/Amiga games. Depends on what genre you try to get tho, but still it would be near impossible to get all.

Smork also makes a good point

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

acually i'm trying to collect every RPG game (traditional, action and tactical). talk about a hard genre to get a definition for, especially recentlly.

i also have a ongoing goal of seeing how many rpg's i can beat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by smork
    The big problem I see with being a genre completionist is trying to define a genre. Look at Shmups -- Is Twinkle Star Sprites a shooter or puzzler? Hell you could make the same case with Ikaruga.
    Its not too difficult to see that Twinkle Star and Ikaruga are shooties. The challange is games like Afterburner, Panzer Dragoon and Thunder Blade. How about Sin & Punishment? Alot of these games fall into what is called a "rail SHooter". Then there is Space Harrier and Burning Force to a lesser degree which are technically "rail free"

Anyways I guess I am trying to get alot of shooties. I can't really say I'm trying to complete a whole collection though considering imports- too many of them and not easily obtainable. I generally go for the US release and import Japanese excusives. I have a good amount and am looking for more but I doubt I'll ever have them "all". But yeah I can't have enough shooties and I pretty much like them all (Yup I like Deep Blue too)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I concentrate my initial collecting efforts for a system on its RPGs, but I wouldn't consider myself a genre completionist. I try - try, mind you - to not buy games for systems I don't own, and I only have about a dozen systems.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Haven't done it yet, but I'm working towards a complete collection of english console RPGs. I'm have 333 games spanning 19 systems. I've completed GameGear (wasn't hard with it's grand total of three RPGs), and am two titles from having both completes in Genesis and PlayStation (Might & Magic and Suikoden 2 respectively). I see the collection as completely doable though. Keeping up with the new systems is just a matter of cash, which isn't any fun so I restrict myself to cheap games and those I've been dying to play (Dragon Quest 8).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been trying to get every title for every system that has some form of "Mecha" in it; since I started collecting games ten years ago. I'm kinda' close.. but I think it's impossible due to titles being released. Took me two years to get a copy of Steel Battalion for my Xbox.. now iIhave to worry about Chrome Hounds and a 360 to play it on.. it never ends. My PC mech game collection is far more impressive than my console one.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis
    Quote Originally Posted by smork
    Its not too difficult to see that Twinkle Star and Ikaruga are shooties.
    I kind of awkwardly phrased that -- it's clear both are shooters, but what about puzzlers? TSS is a puzzler as well as a shooter, and I think a strong case can be made for Ikaruga being one also.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too broad for me.

However, I'm trying to complete a PS1 survival horror section. Sort of like Chris's Survival Horror Quest, but more specific.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

survival horror is pretty easy, since the genre is only about 10-15 years old and isn't pumped out very much. probably less than 300 titles if you include anything remotely survival/horror-ish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by odyeiop
    One has almost every 2d fighter.
    So, wait. Are they including Game Gear games (like Virtua Fighter Mini)? Neo Geo AES? Arcade games (MVS, CPS2, Naomi, Atomiswave)? How about computer systems - Atari ST/Amiga fighters, ports of Sango Fighter, all the SNK/Capcom golden era fighter franchise ports?

That'd be a huge collection, needless to say.

Anyway, I'll buy whatever I want and have money for. That's my philosophy. I wish, naturally, that I'd been able to collect games many years ago, and also that I'd had some better sense of the value of things. Right now you pay out the nose - climbing back up to original retail values for many games, and many rare games are worth far more than retail now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If by arcade games you mean Boards, then no =P

Just console 2d Fighters. Said he would do Cabs if he had the money, and time to find them all. That would be crazy impressive though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm, well. I guess you're sticking to just domestic games. No doubt I'd be impressed to see the collection, but I doubt anybody's got all the 2D fighters on home consoles, even if they started long ago. Doing that would require a lot of $100+ purchases of individual games (like a copy of Undercover Cops for SFC, right now, would cost at least that much, probably more).

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty close to having every video pinball game ever made. Still a long way off to be sure, but I'm probably alot closer to completing that genre than I am any other genre.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty close to having every video pinball game ever made. Still a long way off to be sure, but I'm probably alot closer to completing that genre than I am any other genre.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Completed single game collection

Greetings Programs.

I have every version of Demon Attack along with every system needed to play it.

Does that count?

The hardest one to obtain was the PCjr cart. That took 4 years.

vj