Thread: Personal Redux (What would you do?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Personal Redux (What would you do?)

I'm sitting here thinking about all the redux Atari games, Anniversary Edition releases and those Arcade Hits Volume X and wondering if I had a chance to choose a classic game to bring back to life and give it reamped graphics and possibly tweek the gameplay or change/add a few levels what would I choose and do? I'm not talking about butchering a game or creating a sequal here, just re-releasing it with your own personal updates and nice graphics. Also this might be a good time to bring it up with all the lists of TOP FAVORITES and all.

I'll start off with Cloud Master for the Sega Master System. It was my first side-scrolling shooter and time has worn a lot of it's graphics down, but the gameplay is still hard but extremely fun. I would make the sprites 3D and reshaded to keep a retro yet neo look. There would need to be a tonedown by adding additional difficulties so players can get an easy mode. With that in mind making it so there are some extra levels in the middle would make it a bit longer and a chance to add more monsters and weapons. Beyond the bannanas and cherry bombs with those exploding childern powerups, maybe some new lower level and different secondary choices should be added. It would be ended by being launched on all platforms except PC because it doesn't belong there, unless Sega made a PC.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have actually liked to see Snake, Rattle and Roll on the SNES, with DKC style lightsourced pre-rendered graphics. Not sure why, but I think it'd look great.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My thinking about this is don't remake a game that was perfect to begin with...forget Galaga, Defender, etc. (although they did pretty good with Tempest...)

I would choose an imperfect game, like say...Juno First. Fun game, just really repetitive and pretty bad graphics. That would be a good one for a graphic makeover and some new weapons/stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've often thought that Super Mario All-Stars was the perfect update to a classic series. Exact same gameplay (well, 99% exact), only updated (but entirely appropriate) graphics and sound. And, of course, save capability.

I'd love to see this done with various other NES and Game Boy (B&W/Color) game series, such as Castlevania, Metroid, Contra, and Ninja Gaiden. Ideally, the original, unaltered games should be included too (although with save capability).

Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced for the GBA is another great example. Authentic version of six arcade classics, but if you input a secret code (the Konami code, natch), you can unlock new gameplay modes. Scramble has updated graphics and a choice of three ships, Gyruss adds some new levels, and Yie Ar Kung-Fu adds some kind of vs. mode. Lots of classic arcade games could be done like this. Rally-X with larger mazes and speed power ups, Phoenix with even more attack waves, Targ with controls that aren't so sluggish... lots of possibilities.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Personal Redux (What would you do?)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    I'll start off with Cloud Master for the Sega Master System.
    Chuka Taisen? I don't need a remake; I've already got an arcade perfect* port on the x68000 - plus, there's always MAME.

*Well, I suppose it should be!

Anyway, I don't really care about remakes unless they have some new gameplay. Graphics can draw me into a game, but I like new scenarios and possibly mechanics in my retreads

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I'd remake Cobra Triangle(NES).

Not only would the graphics be updated, but the isometric viewpoint would be preserved, save for a few new level additions with free-roaming 3D, possibly rework the boss battles for more intensity.

Perhaps adding multiplayer would be a good idea as well. Kinda like a Full Auto-esque course-based racing system with weapons, and some Twisted Metal style free for alls.

I get giddy thinking about it.

*goes back to play the original*
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing not too many people want to remake games they use to play all the time and love.

I would also see what could be done to recreate Toobin' as a 3D sprite based game cruising down rivers and rapids. Those pesty river beasts always made me made because you could only throw cans on an angle instead of straight ahead. Also if a multiplayer version were created where you would both float down at the same time, as to race to the end would be really a nice treat.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]