Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Nomad wih PAL and NTSC switch

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Nomad wih PAL and NTSC switch

Has anyone else come across this? Its from a European subisidiary of Sega and has the offficial sega paperwork. They basically put a switch on top which lets you run games from both regions. Pretty cool but was wondering how rare. Plus, anyone know how to do this to other Nomads? I'll try to take a picture to post later on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    Has anyone tried the mod on the second link? It cant be that easy to mod!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sega Nomad wih PAL and NTSC switch

Quote Originally Posted by All Things Sega
    Has anyone else come across this? Its from a European subisidiary of Sega and has the offficial sega paperwork. They basically put a switch on top which lets you run games from both regions. Pretty cool but was wondering how rare. Plus, anyone know how to do this to other Nomads? I'll try to take a picture to post later on.
    Seen quite a few switched Nomads, but I've never heard of it being done 'officially'. I would be interested to see these photos.
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I scanned the paperwork since I couldn't get a decent picture of it through a digital camera. I have the pictures on my harddrive. Any way to post it since their not on any public domain servers my pictures?[/img]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I scanned the paperwork since I couldn't get a decent picture of it through a digital camera. I have the pictures on my harddrive. Any way to post it since their not on any public domain servers my pictures?[/img]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.imageshack.us

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.imageshack.us

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Much thanks to fibblewith. Here are the 2 pictures of the sega nomad which was modded and the paperwork that came with it. I've only seen 2 because the one who sold it to me kept the other one. It was complete with the original box and manufacturers warranty. I got this a long time ago and it came handy in playing the Pal games. Anyone else come across this?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6947/dsc004279bo.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5...adlarge7aq.jpg

The picture has a slight glare but its from the flash. It's in like new condition. I guess those sega executives rarely used their own systems. Stupid corporate gamers

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Much thanks to fibblewith. Here are the 2 pictures of the sega nomad which was modded and the paperwork that came with it. I've only seen 2 because the one who sold it to me kept the other one. It was complete with the original box and manufacturers warranty. I got this a long time ago and it came handy in playing the Pal games. Anyone else come across this?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6947/dsc004279bo.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5...adlarge7aq.jpg

The picture has a slight glare but its from the flash. It's in like new condition. I guess those sega executives rarely used their own systems. Stupid corporate gamers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hmm...not for sale...nomad = HELLA DESIREABLE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hmm...not for sale...nomad = HELLA DESIREABLE

Insert Coin (Level 0) mydjsobad's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

Was the Nomad released in Europe? I'm kind of puzzled by the picture since it's supposedly from Sega Europe, but has Genesis written on the system, I'm also kind of puzzled by the use of such a huge switch and the less than professional seeming "paperwork". I'm not saying it's necessarily a fake , it just seems pretty fishy to me overall.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mydjsobad's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mydjsobad

Was the Nomad released in Europe? I'm kind of puzzled by the picture since it's supposedly from Sega Europe, but has Genesis written on the system, I'm also kind of puzzled by the use of such a huge switch and the less than professional seeming "paperwork". I'm not saying it's necessarily a fake , it just seems pretty fishy to me overall.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want it

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    Why not? It's pretty much the same level of difficulty as the Genesis 3 mods.

As for that Nomad, perhaps it could have been a review system sent out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    Why not? It's pretty much the same level of difficulty as the Genesis 3 mods.

As for that Nomad, perhaps it could have been a review system sent out?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not an autheticator but if it's fake I didn't get hosed because only paid $50 for it complete over 6 years ago. The price at the time was $150 and up. The guy I bought it from would mod all my old atari systems so I knew him for a while. We would borrow each others games and systems so he wasn't some stranger off the street. He was selling all his games and systems since they were relocating and needed the space for another kid on the way. Its sad when family makes you give you up something you love. I got the nomad plus many games at discount from him. It was a great way to build up my overseas mega drive collection. He tried selling and even giving some of the games away to his kid's friends and they didn't want it because they had no clue what a mega drive was The story I got from him was that he had spent 2 years working in Germany and one of his friends there worked at Sega. His friend told them the executives would use these nomads to try out the new games from different regions. Only thing I could assume is that they would try out the games and then decide if it was worth porting over to the European market. The Nomad was not for sale in europe so I can see where the genesis would be on system. Sega would have no incentive to write "megadrive" on a system they were never intending to market in Europe. Sucks he passed away a few years back, I wish I had asked him more questions about it. At the time I thought it was a cool system because it let me play my mega drives portably without having to play the tired old gameboy color. I guess I was a gamer 1st and collector 2nd. It must have had some value to him because he sold everything and kept only the other nomad and some classic genny games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not an autheticator but if it's fake I didn't get hosed because only paid $50 for it complete over 6 years ago. The price at the time was $150 and up. The guy I bought it from would mod all my old atari systems so I knew him for a while. We would borrow each others games and systems so he wasn't some stranger off the street. He was selling all his games and systems since they were relocating and needed the space for another kid on the way. Its sad when family makes you give you up something you love. I got the nomad plus many games at discount from him. It was a great way to build up my overseas mega drive collection. He tried selling and even giving some of the games away to his kid's friends and they didn't want it because they had no clue what a mega drive was The story I got from him was that he had spent 2 years working in Germany and one of his friends there worked at Sega. His friend told them the executives would use these nomads to try out the new games from different regions. Only thing I could assume is that they would try out the games and then decide if it was worth porting over to the European market. The Nomad was not for sale in europe so I can see where the genesis would be on system. Sega would have no incentive to write "megadrive" on a system they were never intending to market in Europe. Sucks he passed away a few years back, I wish I had asked him more questions about it. At the time I thought it was a cool system because it let me play my mega drives portably without having to play the tired old gameboy color. I guess I was a gamer 1st and collector 2nd. It must have had some value to him because he sold everything and kept only the other nomad and some classic genny games.