Thread: Lightspan PSX Games - Rarity Changes?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lightspan PSX Games - Rarity Changes?

I bought a copy of Kazmania a few weeks ago - I could swear it was an scarcity 8 game when I decided to make the purchase. Now it, and it looks like all the other Lightspan PSX games are scarcity 3. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about whether or why there was a change.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lightspan PSX Games - Rarity Changes?

I bought a copy of Kazmania a few weeks ago - I could swear it was an scarcity 8 game when I decided to make the purchase. Now it, and it looks like all the other Lightspan PSX games are scarcity 3. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about whether or why there was a change.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

There indeed was a massive change a while back (it might have not shown up till just recently with the online guide finally getting updates again) due to the fact that though the games were never for sale in a store, the ones with the low rarity are all over ebay and are very easy to get. When Lightspan was bought out and all that jazz, people that worked there, along with just regular folks that had the games were selling them in droves on ebay in massive lots really flooded the market with them.

Most of the games are relatively easy to get, though the ones that still have high rarity's are truly HARD to get. In fact theres some games that we're still finding on occasion from them to boot.

So no your eyes are not playing tricks on you, their rarity's have dropped to reflect their actual commonality.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

There indeed was a massive change a while back (it might have not shown up till just recently with the online guide finally getting updates again) due to the fact that though the games were never for sale in a store, the ones with the low rarity are all over ebay and are very easy to get. When Lightspan was bought out and all that jazz, people that worked there, along with just regular folks that had the games were selling them in droves on ebay in massive lots really flooded the market with them.

Most of the games are relatively easy to get, though the ones that still have high rarity's are truly HARD to get. In fact theres some games that we're still finding on occasion from them to boot.

So no your eyes are not playing tricks on you, their rarity's have dropped to reflect their actual commonality.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stu covered everything nicely, but I thought I may share something as well, as I've spent probably $1200+ or more over the years tracking down Lightspan stuff (don't ask).

About a year ago, when Lightspan was bought out by Plato, I was in contact with an employee there, and they mentioned that bascially, everything in that building was tossed. Games, Manuals, Sketches, standees, prototype illustrations, etc, all gone.

Then eBay started pulling auctions.

That was a major contribution to the rarity in itself, until about half a year ago, something even more bizarre happened; the schools using the software started giving up on it. I talked to two different ebay sellers, one a regular person, another a huge discount / liquidation firm, and both said they had bought their inventories in bulk from schools.

This led to discovering the 2nd printing of many Lightspan titles, thanks to the serial tracking by yours truly.

Hence the drop in price.

The final contribution was a gut wrenching one given to me from my last large lot purchase a while back. At the bottom of the box were two case dividers for two game series I'd never heard of, and have yet to see. After about 8 months of searching, not a single clue has been rendered as to their existence. Hence, the gap becomes larger as we start seeing the same 30 or so discs pop up, which were most likely the most successful in the program.

Rarity scores should never be considered set in stone, the best example being Dragonball GT. $400 limited print run game becomes $15 on a re-release 4 years later.

...and ugh..my dog just slobbered all over me...>_>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stu covered everything nicely, but I thought I may share something as well, as I've spent probably $1200+ or more over the years tracking down Lightspan stuff (don't ask).

About a year ago, when Lightspan was bought out by Plato, I was in contact with an employee there, and they mentioned that bascially, everything in that building was tossed. Games, Manuals, Sketches, standees, prototype illustrations, etc, all gone.

Then eBay started pulling auctions.

That was a major contribution to the rarity in itself, until about half a year ago, something even more bizarre happened; the schools using the software started giving up on it. I talked to two different ebay sellers, one a regular person, another a huge discount / liquidation firm, and both said they had bought their inventories in bulk from schools.

This led to discovering the 2nd printing of many Lightspan titles, thanks to the serial tracking by yours truly.

Hence the drop in price.

The final contribution was a gut wrenching one given to me from my last large lot purchase a while back. At the bottom of the box were two case dividers for two game series I'd never heard of, and have yet to see. After about 8 months of searching, not a single clue has been rendered as to their existence. Hence, the gap becomes larger as we start seeing the same 30 or so discs pop up, which were most likely the most successful in the program.

Rarity scores should never be considered set in stone, the best example being Dragonball GT. $400 limited print run game becomes $15 on a re-release 4 years later.

...and ugh..my dog just slobbered all over me...>_>

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very interesting and informative post. sounds like lightspan has a wacky history.

interesting that there are still SOME really (really really) rare ones too.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very interesting and informative post. sounds like lightspan has a wacky history.

interesting that there are still SOME really (really really) rare ones too.