Thread: Odd Ebay Buyer Request?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Odd Ebay Buyer Request?

Well, last night one of my lots sold on Ebay. The Message:

Hello,

I will be able to Use my UPS account to pick this item up.Okay? The Money Order / Payment will be issued today and will be mailed out today but I would like to include an extra money on the money order that will be sent to you plus the sales of your item.

The essence of the excess money is for my girlfriend to pay for her school fees at the London Metropolitan University in UK but I am not in the best position to send her this money because I am not holding cash right now but Money Orders and there is no way she could cash the Money Order in England where she is right now.

I would really appreciate your effort and concern if you could cash the Money Order and send her money via Western Union after you might have deducted the funds for the sales of your item + an extra $20 for your time and effort.Okay?

If you wish to help us as regards this issue and willing to continue with this transaction,Kindly send me your name and address for mailing the payment to you.Okay?

Upon recieving your response,I shall have the payment sent out.

Thank you so much in anticipation.

With Regards,

It doesn't seem like a scam, I really don't see how it would.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Odd Ebay Buyer Request?

Hello,

I will be able to Use my UPS account to pick this item up.Okay? The Money Order / Payment will be issued today and will be mailed out today but I would like to include an extra money on the money order that will be sent to you plus the sales of your item.

The essence of the excess money is for my girlfriend to pay for her school fees at the London Metropolitan University in UK but I am not in the best position to send her this money because I am not holding cash right now but Money Orders and there is no way she could cash the Money Order in England where she is right now.

I would really appreciate your effort and concern if you could cash the Money Order and send her money via Western Union after you might have deducted the funds for the sales of your item + an extra $20 for your time and effort.Okay?

If you wish to help us as regards this issue and willing to continue with this transaction,Kindly send me your name and address for mailing the payment to you.Okay?

With Regards,

Thoughts?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the contrary, it is most certainly a scam. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

The general procedure is to try to convince you to send the funds via W.U., after which you discover that the money order you have deposited at the bank was purchased with fraudulent funds and is therefore rejected. Thus you lose your goods, get no money and have sent the scammer a tidy sum in addition.

Oh, and the thing about money orders not being accepted in the UK is nonsense, which is what proves this to be a scam.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the contrary, it is most certainly a scam. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

The general procedure is to try to convince you to send the funds via W.U., after which you discover that the money order you have deposited at the bank was purchased with fraudulent funds and is therefore rejected. Thus you lose your goods, get no money and have sent the scammer a tidy sum in addition.

Oh, and the thing about money orders not being accepted in the UK is nonsense, which is what proves this to be a scam.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, well I said I would do it. However, I told him I wouldn't ship anything until it cleared.

Even if it clears and I have the money, could I still lose it?

Looks like I may have a problem. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, well I said I would do it. However, I told him I wouldn't ship anything until it cleared.

Looks like I may have a problem. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Nanjo
    Yup, that's what they count on - you think it clears OK, so send out the item, but then the payment gets reversed further down the line. Don't go through with it under any circumstances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yup, that's what they count on - you think it clears OK, so send out the item, but then the payment gets reversed further down the line. Don't go through with it under any circumstances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then, should I contact Ebay about it?

So I can like avoid getting negative feedback?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, contact them immediately and forward copies of the emails you've had. They will hopefully suspend the user, in which case they cannot leave you bad feedback.

In the meantime, I guess just play along and pretend you're going to go through. Just say that the money order hasn't cleared if they ask why you haven't posted.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, contact them immediately and forward copies of the emails you've had. They will hopefully suspend the user, in which case they cannot leave you bad feedback.

In the meantime, I guess just play along and pretend you're going to go through. Just say that the money order hasn't cleared if they ask why you haven't posted.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to drag up an old argument but this is one of the reasons I only take US Bids.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to drag up an old argument but this is one of the reasons I only take US Bids.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Odd Ebay Buyer Request?

Hello,

With Regards,

Thoughts?
    Well, the guys above already answered this.. definitly a SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

Money Order will be fake/bought using stolen card, your sending "extra" money etc probably a few hundred dollars or what? and via Western Union means that literally they cannot be traced, so your left a few hundred dollars down..

Remember.. if it sounds too good to be true (i.e. someone giving you "extra" money etc etc) then it usually is.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Odd Ebay Buyer Request?

Hello,

With Regards,

Thoughts?
    Well, the guys above already answered this.. definitly a SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

Money Order will be fake/bought using stolen card, your sending "extra" money etc probably a few hundred dollars or what? and via Western Union means that literally they cannot be traced, so your left a few hundred dollars down..

Remember.. if it sounds too good to be true (i.e. someone giving you "extra" money etc etc) then it usually is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    The buyer used a BIN and is from VA. So he was in the US or well so he wants me to believe that.

Maybe I need to quit using Buy It Nows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The buyer used a BIN and is from VA. So he was in the US or well so he wants me to believe that.

Maybe I need to quit using Buy It Nows.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to carry on an old, old argument .. but that is pretty much nonsense. Many scammers have US registered accounts. And the vast majority of extra-US users are not scammers.

A little common sense is all that is needed to sift out the problem guys. The methods are almost always the same, so they are pretty easy to spot.

Vroomfunkel

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to carry on an old, old argument .. but that is pretty much nonsense. Many scammers have US registered accounts. And the vast majority of extra-US users are not scammers.

A little common sense is all that is needed to sift out the problem guys. The methods are almost always the same, so they are pretty easy to spot.

Vroomfunkel