Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis Zany golf question

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Sega Genesis Zany golf question

Recently I sold off my complete copy of Zany gold for the genesis on ebay. The game was mint and worked fine when I played it. The buyer can't get it to work on his system. It has been awhile since I played it but I seem to remember Zany Golf only working on a certain model or series of Genesis system. Does anyone know what system it is that it works on? I seem to recall that the game would also work on any system with a Game genie. Any help/imfo would be great.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Sega Genesis Zany golf question

Recently I sold off my complete copy of Zany gold for the genesis on ebay. The game was mint and worked fine when I played it. The buyer can't get it to work on his system. It has been awhile since I played it but I seem to remember Zany Golf only working on a certain model or series of Genesis system. Does anyone know what system it is that it works on? I seem to recall that the game would also work on any system with a Game genie. Any help/imfo would be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zany golf will only work in genesis units that do not have the "made or licensed by sega". however, it may work in a newer genny in tandem with a game genie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zany golf will only work in genesis units that do not have the "made or licensed by sega". however, it may work in a newer genny in tandem with a game genie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, it's one of the early unlicensed EA games that have the same problem as some Ballistic/Accolade carts.
    As chrisbid said, it'll only work on early Genny 1 units without the license screen (those manufactured before September '91, if I remember correctly), or through a Game Geneie/Action Replay type-cart (a simple bridge convertor probably won't work).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, it's one of the early unlicensed EA games that have the same problem as some Ballistic/Accolade carts.
    As chrisbid said, it'll only work on early Genny 1 units without the license screen (those manufactured before September '91, if I remember correctly), or through a Game Geneie/Action Replay type-cart (a simple bridge convertor probably won't work).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game genie will let you play the games if you don't have an early model genesis 1. I remember renting this game and wondering why it worked with 1 system and not the other. Also, Ishido and Populous don't work with the newer genesis models.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game genie will let you play the games if you don't have an early model genesis 1. I remember renting this game and wondering why it worked with 1 system and not the other. Also, Ishido and Populous don't work with the newer genesis models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zany Golf & Populous (I have both) ONLY work with the very first release of the Genesis I (and NOT ALL Genesis I models); believe me.. I know.. I've gone through a LOT of Genny's looking for the compatible one. The Genesis hardware FAQ at GameFAQs states that these models are the very first Genny I's that came with a "packed-in" Altered Beast game and NOT the Sonic games.

I've been searching on eB for some time now for one of these. They're kind of hard to locate on account of your ONLY way of being sure you have one is to purchase said boxed unit (You're taking a chance with a loose Genny console).

On a side note.. I HAVE found another way to play Zany Golf AND Populous (since I don't have a 1st run domestic Genny). They both play just fine on my JAP model Mega Drive.. go figure.

I had to wait almost a year to find out if my ZG and Pop cart purchases were indeed "functional", until I found this out.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zany Golf & Populous (I have both) ONLY work with the very first release of the Genesis I (and NOT ALL Genesis I models); believe me.. I know.. I've gone through a LOT of Genny's looking for the compatible one. The Genesis hardware FAQ at GameFAQs states that these models are the very first Genny I's that came with a "packed-in" Altered Beast game and NOT the Sonic games.

I've been searching on eB for some time now for one of these. They're kind of hard to locate on account of your ONLY way of being sure you have one is to purchase said boxed unit (You're taking a chance with a loose Genny console).

On a side note.. I HAVE found another way to play Zany Golf AND Populous (since I don't have a 1st run domestic Genny). They both play just fine on my JAP model Mega Drive.. go figure.

I had to wait almost a year to find out if my ZG and Pop cart purchases were indeed "functional", until I found this out.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is there an echo in here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is there an echo in here?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this thread has a lot of information to help identify a non-license screen genesis model 1.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this thread has a lot of information to help identify a non-license screen genesis model 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56

Don't be so sure about getting the old model Genny with the Alt Beast setup. I have an Altered Beast genny setup on eBay right now but the console is not the original. It is the same console that came with the setup, I didn't switch it out or anything. That just means who knows if the console has been switched or not, you have to ask for the date of manuafacture.

Additionally, several months ago I listed on eBay an "unlocked" Genesis unboxed. There was almost no interest, it sold for $.99.

Also, check this out:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56

Don't be so sure about getting the old model Genny with the Alt Beast setup. I have an Altered Beast genny setup on eBay right now but the console is not the original. It is the same console that came with the setup, I didn't switch it out or anything. That just means who knows if the console has been switched or not, you have to ask for the date of manuafacture.

Additionally, several months ago I listed on eBay an "unlocked" Genesis unboxed. There was almost no interest, it sold for $.99.

Also, check this out:

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanx everyone for their help I contacted the buyer and he used the Game genie to get the game to work.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanx everyone for their help I contacted the buyer and he used the Game genie to get the game to work.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

. I remember buying Ishido at Walmart back in the day for like, $0.99. It didn't work, and I took it back! For $0.99!
    How was I to know back then?

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

. I remember buying Ishido at Walmart back in the day for like, $0.99. It didn't work, and I took it back! For $0.99!
    How was I to know back then?