Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF12 demo - I don't like this new battle engine

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FF12 demo - I don't like this new battle engine

Just played the demo that comes with Dragon Quest. FF 12 uses a style similar to Kingdom Hearts-- you control character 1, and the computer controls characters 2/3. And instead of lining up to face the enemy, the players run around chaotically. A confusing mess. I don't like it. (Also missing is the cool battle music-- replaced with elevator music crapola.)

Prefered the battle style use in FF4-10 with cinemas / special effect animations.

It was like watching a movie that you directed.
    Beautiful.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FF12 demo - I don't like this new battle engine

Just played the demo that comes with Dragon Quest. FF 12 uses a style similar to Kingdom Hearts-- you control character 1, and the computer controls characters 2/3. And instead of lining up to face the enemy, the players run around chaotically. A confusing mess. I don't like it. (Also missing is the cool battle music-- replaced with elevator music crapola.)

Prefered the battle style use in FF4-10 with cinemas / special effect animations.

It was like watching a movie that you directed.
    Beautiful.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: FF12 demo - I don't like this new battle engine

I had always wondered why the FF games were still lining up the characters, instead of making use of environmental stuff. Oh well. Maybe this is the game to change that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: FF12 demo - I don't like this new battle engine

I had always wondered why the FF games were still lining up the characters, instead of making use of environmental stuff. Oh well. Maybe this is the game to change that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, isn't that the whole point of playing a demo? To see if you like it or not?
    Now you've discovered you don't, you can save yourself $50 by not buying the full version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, isn't that the whole point of playing a demo? To see if you like it or not?
    Now you've discovered you don't, you can save yourself $50 by not buying the full version.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anagrama - you are correct. But it's Final Fantasy. Reknowned for having great stories from FF4 onward --so I might be able to overlook the clumsy battles-- if the story is any good.

This game will need to have one hell of a story --else like Kingdom Hearts I'll sell it off on ebay to recover my cash. (Of what I saw so far KH is actually better than FF12.) There was an awesome battle engine in FF10-2. They should have used that. Imho.
    Nope. The environment has no effect on the battle (that I could tell).

It's just a chaotic mess.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anagrama - you are correct. But it's Final Fantasy. Reknowned for having great stories from FF4 onward --so I might be able to overlook the clumsy battles-- if the story is any good.

This game will need to have one hell of a story --else like Kingdom Hearts I'll sell it off on ebay to recover my cash. (Of what I saw so far KH is actually better than FF12.) There was an awesome battle engine in FF10-2. They should have used that. Imho.
    Nope. The environment has no effect on the battle (that I could tell).

It's just a chaotic mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well I like the fight engine that is in both KH games. Sure its a bit chaotic, but aren't most REAL battlegrounds that way.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well I like the fight engine that is in both KH games. Sure its a bit chaotic, but aren't most REAL battlegrounds that way.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that's a bit of a dissapointment for me. I like the turn based system used in all previous FF games.

Real time battles with more than one character are okay (the Tales series does it well), but I just don't like it as much as turn based.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that's a bit of a dissapointment for me. I like the turn based system used in all previous FF games.

Real time battles with more than one character are okay (the Tales series does it well), but I just don't like it as much as turn based.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I liked the demo of FF12, it's a big change for the series, but it's them trying something new. The gameplay reminded me more of .hack than anything else, which is probably another reason why I enjoyed it.

I won't pick the game up for if it retails for $50, but I'll pick it up after the price drops.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I liked the demo of FF12, it's a big change for the series, but it's them trying something new. The gameplay reminded me more of .hack than anything else, which is probably another reason why I enjoyed it.

I won't pick the game up for if it retails for $50, but I'll pick it up after the price drops.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Grandia battle system - random battles = FF12 battle system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Grandia battle system - random battles = FF12 battle system.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Technically true-- but don't think a >fantasy< game should go for realism. I liked the "cinema" feel of the previous games where you can sit back & watch the battle unfold. I liked seeing FF7's Cloud do his 20-hit Sword Slashing, or FF10's Lulu say, "Burn" and unleash some major butt-kicking.

But now that is gone.

It's just a button-masher. (yawn)

I prefer FF4-10's order to FF12's chaos.

I am a member of the Dominion.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Technically true-- but don't think a >fantasy< game should go for realism. I liked the "cinema" feel of the previous games where you can sit back & watch the battle unfold. I liked seeing FF7's Cloud do his 20-hit Sword Slashing, or FF10's Lulu say, "Burn" and unleash some major butt-kicking.

But now that is gone.

It's just a button-masher. (yawn)

I prefer FF4-10's order to FF12's chaos.

I am a member of the Dominion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the combat anything like that in Vagrant Story? I've not seen much of the game in action, but that's what I first thought of when I saw it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the combat anything like that in Vagrant Story? I've not seen much of the game in action, but that's what I first thought of when I saw it.